Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My P4xi journey

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Where’d you find the SN on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Well I had an interesting failure with my P4xi a week and a half ago. Bought in 2019, only have about 2000 rounds with it mounted. I was in the middle of a string of fire when it suddenly got a bit blurry. Thought maybe the eyepiece diopter adjustment had been bumped, so I tried to refocus it, but that didn't work. I then noticed that the magnification ring felt like it was grinding when I rotated it. Moved it back and forth a couple of times and then it froze and wouldn't move.
    Opened up a case on the Steiner website on Mon 5/3, got a response the next day with a return authorization number and sent it back to Steiner. It was received by them on Thursday 5/6, and I got an email on 5/10 that it had been repaired and was getting sent back to me. It arrives tomorrow (5/14). I'm not happy that it failed in the first place, but impressed with the quick turn-around. I'll update this post if I have more information on what caused the issue.

5/14 - Received the scope back. The included note reads: Erector screw came loose and was jamming the guide tube. Reassembled internals and ran full test and check. Scope tracks correctly and holds zero during recoil test.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    @1168

Any updates on your P4xi? I know you have a thread on that but it is also info pertinent here.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    In the back of my safe. I kinda put it on the backburner due to traveling. I need to get around to dealing with it so I can get my “modern” 14.5” gun up.
    Removed some paint; found serial number; submitted repair ticket to Steiner @1600 today.

Edit: got a RMA in like 20 minutes.
    Edit 2: shipped via ground 2 Jul
    Edit 3: got email that it is fixed on 13 Jul, return shipped 14 Jul.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-16-21 at 15:48.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've had two range sessions with my P4xi. Coming from irons, ACOGs, and CCOs makes me feel like the reticle is huge, even though I know it's not. I'm hoping it settles down with some practice, but thinking of trying an offset rds and leaving the scope at 4x.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Where’d you find the SN on yours?
    Sorry - I had not turned subscription notifications 'on' so I missed this. Glad to see you're getting it taken care of. I put about 250 rounds through the upper two weeks ago without any issues with the P4Xi that was repaired, so that's good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I've had two range sessions with my P4xi. Coming from irons, ACOGs, and CCOs makes me feel like the reticle is huge, even though I know it's not. I'm hoping it settles down with some practice, but thinking of trying an offset rds and leaving the scope at 4x.

The target-obscuring reticle is my only real complaint with the P4Xi, but it is one that has had me debating selling it multiple times since I got it a few years ago. I’m back to sort of accepting it again currently. Shooting tight groups on something like a 3” bullseye at 100 yds though, is not very easy for me with that reticle. I actually tend to shoot tighter groups with a larger target, like a 6” bullseye, as it isn’t completely obscured by the crosshairs.
    Part of the fault here is mine though and not the scope as I’ve been trying to use it as more of a precision optic than it is probably meant for (I mean the “P” does stand for “Patrol” after all).

I paid $449 for the model (5202 IIRC) that came with the added throw lever back in like 2018 I think. I’m shocked by how much these things have increased in price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    The target-obscuring reticle is my only real complaint with the P4Xi, but it is one that has had me debating selling it multiple times since I got it a few years ago. I’m back to sort of accepting it again currently. Shooting tight groups on something like a 3” bullseye at 100 yds though, is not very easy for me with that reticle. I actually tend to shoot tighter groups with a larger target, like a 6” bullseye, as it isn’t completely obscured by the crosshairs.
    Part of the fault here is mine though and not the scope as I’ve been trying to use it as more of a precision optic than it is probably meant for (I mean the “P” does stand for “Patrol” after all).

I paid $449 for the model (5202 IIRC) that came with the added throw lever back in like 2018 I think. I’m shocked by how much these things have increased in price.
    You probably want to avoid a lot of Leupold's scopes then. The VX-R's I own/owned (1.25-4× Patrol & Hog along with a 3-9× Ballistic circle) have all been noticeably thicker than the P4Xi reticle.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 07-01-21 at 22:00.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I actually dig a heavy reticle, both for patrol rifles, and hunting ones. They make me more comfortable in failing light with a dead battery. For zeroing the P4xi, you may find it helpful to turn the dot on to the lowest setting you can see, and ignore the crosshairs.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I actually dig a heavy reticle, both for patrol rifles, and hunting ones. They make me more comfortable in failing light with a dead battery. For zeroing the P4xi, you may find it helpful to turn the dot on to the lowest setting you can see, and ignore the crosshairs.
    May I ask what range you zero and with what ammo?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    May I ask what range you zero and with what ammo?
    I zero the first hashmark at 300 with 68/69 gr 5.56, such as Frontier. In the absence of a 300m KD range, I do the center dot at ~50/200, or (just to get on paper) first hashmark at 25. I’ve played with using offset poi/poa at 25 also, and it works, for just getting on paper. When I do that, I just use 62gr ball blasting ammo, and commit to getting to a longer range as soon as I can.

When I zero at 300, I do the windage earlier at 100 or 200 (if its a really still day) and only do the elevation at 300.
    RLTW

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was trying to use it on a quasi-DMR build. Which it was probably not the right choice of optic for. But at the time I was dead set on having a 1x capability even on a “DMR” and with the terrain in my area I figured 4x was “enough” magnification for what I was likely to do with it. Price was a consideration too, at the time I bought the P4Xi it seemed to be considered the “best LPVO under $500” or something.
    I’ve still got it on what I guess is my more “precision” oriented AR - in other words, the only one with a free float handguard that I have, and have pretty much accepted it’s limitations at this point.

I usually have the dot turned off entirely on mine and only turn it on when I’m shooting with it on 1x and up close.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast