Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My P4xi journey

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Ive been running a P4Xi on my duty rifle since mid 2017 ( maybe a little earlier, I cant remember exactly when).

My only real complaint is that I find the view to be distorted at 1x. I find the Razor 1-6 and the PST Gen 2 1-6 to have a better 1x. Those scopes act more like a red dot to me. Like Im looking though them like an Aimpoint or EOTech, while I feel like Im still looking into the Steiner. I dont know if that makes sense.
    Thanks for taking time to post.

What other scope(s) are authorized by Phoenix for duty use?

Anyone had any problems with the Steiner that you're aware of? Eating batteries? Failing to hold zero? Fogging up or other moisture seal issues?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Anyone had any problems with the Steiner that you're aware of? Eating batteries? Failing to hold zero? Fogging up or other moisture seal issues?

No issues that I know of with the Steiners.

The list is fairly extensive for LPVOs but the published list isn't up to date as I know guys running Trijicon Accupower/Credo scopes and they aren't on the list.

The list:
    Leupold Mk4 1.5-4
    US Optics SVS 1-6
    VCOG 1-6
    Leupold VX-6HD 1-6
    Steiner P4Xi
    PST Gen2 1-6
    Leupold Mk6 1-6
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

I’ve had none of those problems, and I shoot rain or shine in a very humid region. It does go through batteries faster than an Aimpoint, but feels like more slowly than some other LPVOs.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Steiner 1-4 does seem to be quite well thought out. Simple reticle, capped turrets, bright reticle. All with good size and weight. I assume Steiner sells quite a few of these while not selling too many of the more expensive but not much more functional 1-5.

With that said, the P4xi has gone up quite a bit over the last couple years. Will it continue to be as popular at $700ish? That puts it $100 or more over the Viper PST and only a few hundred dollars under some other optics like the 1-5 mentioned above.

I also wonder what Steiner may have up their collective sleeve for future scopes. 1-4 is probably perfect for a patrol optic but is somewhat yesterday's news. I assume they have a 1-6 or 1-8 option in the works.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Steiner 1-4 does seem to be quite well thought out. Simple reticle, capped turrets, bright reticle. All with good size and weight. I assume Steiner sells quite a few of these while not selling too many of the more expensive but not much more functional 1-5.

With that said, the P4xi has gone up quite a bit over the last couple years. Will it continue to be as popular at $700ish? That puts it $100 or more over the Viper PST and only a few hundred dollars under some other optics like the 1-5 mentioned above.

I also wonder what Steiner may have up their collective sleeve for future scopes. 1-4 is probably perfect for a patrol optic but is somewhat yesterday's news. I assume they have a 1-6 or 1-8 option in the works.

They released a 1-8 recently p8xi maybe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    They released a 1-8 recently p8xi maybe
    Yeah but nobody's going to buy that. The price is ridiculous.

Plus there's this:

https://youtu.be/Cf488YLHgG4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    No issues that I know of with the Steiners.

The list is fairly extensive for LPVOs but the published list isn't up to date as I know guys running Trijicon Accupower/Credo scopes and they aren't on the list.

The list:
    Leupold Mk4 1.5-4
    US Optics SVS 1-6
    VCOG 1-6
    Leupold VX-6HD 1-6
    Steiner P4Xi
    PST Gen2 1-6
    Leupold Mk6 1-6
    Do you have a favorite on the list? Whats your opinion on the VCOG?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_H View Post
    I'll throw in a quick opinion:

We have quite a few of the 1-6 VCOG in my area. Some attached via the factory Trijicon mount. Others attached using a GDI QD mount.

The optic is likely as durable (probably more) than anything else in its class. No rings as the mount screws directly into the optic. Battery compartment is easy to access.

Down sides the optic is heavy. Also, being FFP, the reticle is tiny and hard to see at 1x yet gets blocky and bulky at 6x so precision can be difficult. Also the illumination is not bright enough to be easily seen depending on ambiance and background.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Well I had an interesting failure with my P4xi a week and a half ago. Bought in 2019, only have about 2000 rounds with it mounted. I was in the middle of a string of fire when it suddenly got a bit blurry. Thought maybe the eyepiece diopter adjustment had been bumped, so I tried to refocus it, but that didn't work. I then noticed that the magnification ring felt like it was grinding when I rotated it. Moved it back and forth a couple of times and then it froze and wouldn't move.
    Opened up a case on the Steiner website on Mon 5/3, got a response the next day with a return authorization number and sent it back to Steiner. It was received by them on Thursday 5/6, and I got an email on 5/10 that it had been repaired and was getting sent back to me. It arrives tomorrow (5/14). I'm not happy that it failed in the first place, but impressed with the quick turn-around. I'll update this post if I have more information on what caused the issue.

5/14 - Received the scope back. The included note reads: Erector screw came loose and was jamming the guide tube. Reassembled internals and ran full test and check. Scope tracks correctly and holds zero during recoil test.
    Last edited by militarymoron; 05-14-21 at 17:09. Reason: Added detail

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_H View Post
    The only other ones out of that list that I have any real time behind are the PST Gen 2 and the Leupold Mk4. Like I posted above I found the PST Gen 2 to have a better eye box and a more "realistic" 1x sight picture. It's hard to explain but with the PST Gen 2 it was like I was looking through it, much like looking through an Aimpoint or EOTech. With my Steiner it's like Im looking at an image in the scope, not through it. I think the PST Gen 2 1x is closer to a true 1x than the P4Xi is. That being said, Im not running out to replace the Steiner on my duty gun. It has served me very well.

The Leupold Mk4 is an old scope. They work well but I wouldn't buy one currently unless you got a crazy deal on it.

I bought my Steiner in a package deal with a MI mount for $495. Now that they are $700 without a mount Im not sure I would pick it over the other options.

I have no opinion on the VCOG. Ive seen them but I dont think Ive ever used one, and if I have it wasnt much. Jeff Gurwitch has an article on them as he used one for his last tour or two in Iraq before he retired from SF. He seems to like them.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast