Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My P4xi journey

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This thread and bit more online research sold me. I got a P4xi from OP for $471.34, using their online chat and asking for the lowest possible price. Free shipping.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMagnussen View Post
    Could you comment on why this scope rather than the 5101-t5xi 1-5? It weighs two ounces more and literally costs twice as much. Does it offer noticeably significant better optics, glass, etc.?
    While researching my P4Xi a couple of years back, I saw several people commenting who claimed that they had been told by Steiner personnel there was no increase in glass clarity or durability with the T5 scope.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    OP-Excellent review! I've been planning on a LPVO for a while, and the one I was looking at (PST Gen 2 1-6) lost my interest after seeing it in person.

Does anyone know where the best place to look will be this weekend?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Watch dsgarms. They run deals on this scope often and include a MI QD mount along with it and throw lever.

Got mine for a steal used as the ow er spray painted it. I like it and the vortex viper pst gen 2 1-6. Steiner on my go to rifle and vortex on my gaming rifle. I did use the steiner, before I had the vortex, in a 5k run and gun and the illumination knob moved while running with the rifle slung on the back. The knob has no detents and just turns smoothly. Not a big deal just check it if you go jogging with your rifle.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 11-24-19 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good review, I run one and I like it,Cheers

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    I might ruffle some feathers here. I own both the px4i and the night force nx8 and for the money i think the px4i is the better optic, they eye box on 1x is better with the px4i I believe this more important than how high the magnification goes and the illumination is as good as the nx8. It's a hard pill to swallow and admit since I spent 1400 for my nx8 and 475 for my px4i but if you are on the fence about a px4i get off of it and get it, its awesome really it is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Plus you can get a code for free shipping when you sign up for a new account.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just shot a black rifle competition over the weekend with my Steiner. I liked the eye relief and reticle over the ACSS system I have been using. At the prices some people are finding these on sale for; I think its one of the best deals in optics. It's literally like having an aim point and a ACOG on your rifle, yet it cost less than either of those options. Compared to a ACOG the Steiner has really similar quality glass yet real eye relief and a OK eye box. Again love the reticle it works so well on 1x and 4x. With my 14.5" shooting 55gr FMJ using a +0.5" zero at 50y the BDC was almost dead on (+/- 3y). It made solid hits on 400 y steel plates as long as I gave a good press.

Everyone saying "X BDC doesn't work for Y rifle" needs to stop whining and spend $12 and get Strelok Pro on their phone. That app has taken the guess work out of getting hits. You just need some way of verifying distances. Mils, Laser, Google maps, whatever...
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Another user on here asked me my thoughts a couple months ago via PM on RDS vs Steiner LPVO. At this time, I’ve been using my P4xi now that I feel like I am able to share my experience. This will be less a comparison, more of thoughts on the P4xi through the eyes of a previous skeptic. The more I use it, the more versatility it seems to have.

Background:

I’ve used a variety of LPVO’s professionally and recreationally over the past decade or so, starting with the Elcan and Short Dot. I didn’t really like them back then, but my eyes are starting to age. So I bought a Steiner and a 3x Vortex magnifier for my Comp M’s maybe 9 months ago, and I’ve been wringing them out. This is the first LPVO that I have purchased, unless we can count 2-7x’s.

Speed vs RDS:

This is what everyone seems to be interested in. I’ve noticed no practical loss of speed on 1x in any conventional position at any range. I’m even a little faster at ranges past 25yds. This is because with the fine dot, and optional magnification, I’m able to either shoot just as fast, but more accurately, or slightly faster with the same degree of accuracy vs RDS. I shot a carbine qual course with a small SWAT team a week or two ago with my P4xi and got a perfect score. I was also faster than a little over half the cops, all of which were using a RDS of some sort. I’m not saying this out of ego, or because I think I’m better than them, because I am not. Just for perspective on speed, because a LPVO is not slowing me down.

Now, if we’re talking wazzoo positions like junkyard prone and such, yeah the RDS might be a bit faster, but not as much as you might expect. The pupil is easy to find at 1x.

Weight:

The P4xi in an ADM flip lever 1.93” mount weighs 1lb, 9oz. The Comp M4s in a Larue lower 1/3 with flip lever weighs 12.8oz. Comp M4s plus 3x weighs 1lb, 8oz. The numbers speak for themselves. If you have no need for magnification, the LPVO is a waste.

Battery Life:

Longer than expected. I have not measured it, but I would have expected much less. Obviously you can’t leave it on for 3 years, but even if the battery dies, the unlit reticle works great.

Brightness:

Excellent. It is beyond daylight bright. If you use it to look directly at the Sun, trying to observe the transit of Mercury, the last thing you will see is two dots: the red dot of the reticle and the black dot of Mercury.

Low Light Use:

It works as well or better than any other optic I have used, except maybe my Zeiss or the Razor HD. It is certainly better than any other magnified optic I have used that is similarly priced. Unrelated note, I hate muzzle brakes. I’m currently rocking A2s on almost every rifle I own.

Reticle:

This is the second reticle I’ve ever truly loved, with the first being the old school ACOG. I left my wife for this reticle. Side effects include: priapism, muscular hypertrophy, inflated ego, increased IQ, greater sexual stamina, and your children will love you again.

The dot is bright, fine, and easy to find. The crosshairs are heavy and taper to the center, which is a great feature in weak lighting. Or anytime you need to find the center fast.

The BDC is what makes it awesome, with a caveat. Steiner literature shows a 100yd zero for the dot and the bottom hashmark is 500. Nein. The dot more closely coincides with 200yds and the bottom hashmark is 600. I’ve tested this practically with several loads, and also run a bunch of numbers through Strelok Pro. Interestingly, the subtensions that Steiner publishes reflects my findings. They simply mislabeled the reticle diagram.

I stock 4 types of 556 ammo, mostly. 68/69gr HPBT for target shooting at medium ranges, 70TSX for hunting, 62gr Fusion MSR for HD/Soviet invasion, and 62gr ball for close range blasting. These have been chosen to be cost effective and to have a similar POI at the distances appropriate to their purpose. With a zero at 300 yards using the first hashmark and “match” 68/69gr ammo, I can get first round hits with the same ammo out to 600yds using the BDC. I can then load up the 70TSX and get good hits on deer well beyond any range I would consider ethical, or Fusion MSR 62 and whack Cuban paratroopers. Or whatever crazy fantasy you may have.

Point is, this reticle’s BDC follows my ammo perfectly using a 16” barrel. It is also auto-ranging on 18-19” wide targets. If you are shooting at E-type’s, just use whatever hashmark matches the width of the target most closely, hold into the wind if necessary, squeeze it off, then celebrate. Its that easy. I’ve shot matches that use E-type pop-ups and steel out to 500, and its like cheating. I really like this reticle.

For SBR’s, you can probably get a similar level of satisfaction from the T5xi with .308 reticle, which Strelok tells me would be close to perfect with my 12.3”. Run your chosen ammo through a ballistic calc before choosing. This thing does not like RA556B, for example. With the P4xi, you are looking for ammo with ~47.5” drop at 500 with a 200yd zero. With the T5xi .308, Strelok and Steiner say you want ~53.75 drop at 500 with a 200yd zero. Zeroing further out (300-400) with the appropriate part of the reticle will make most any ammo follow the reticle better, of course.

Comments from Use:

It has capped turrets, which I prefer. Ain’t nobody clicking DOPE with a 1-4x. The turret caps have not fallen off. Thats never happened with any other optic I’ve used, but for some drunken reason it seemed noteworthy. The illum adjustment is kinda mushy. However (comma) I like that it has an off position between each setting.

The mag ring rotates the opposite direction of pretty much any other scope I can remember. If you own other scopes, this might not be a good thing. But I dig it. With the throw lever, the mantra is: righty tighty, lefty longy. Or whatever similarly lame thing you use to remember. The reason I like it this way, is that at 1x, the mag ring won’t get accidentally adjusted by my gear, since I am right handed. The ring rotates smoothly, but is stiff enough to help prevent accidental adjustment. You want the throw lever.

Eye relief is excellent. No chance of getting whacked with this thing. Its basically the opposite of the ACOG, and I run my stock a click further out than I do with a RDS and magnifier.

Its astigmatism-proof. Which is starting to be “A Thing” for me. This is because it uses a fiber to produce the dot rather than whatever wizardry other dots use.

Durability:

It seems durable enough. It retains its zero. I have not broken it yet. It (rifle plus optic) goes nearly everywhere with me and spends a lot of time in a case sliding around the bed of my truck; approximately 6-8hrs a week, driving way too fast on rough roads. The rifle has been treated like a beater, and has been used in force-on-force training and competition. This scope has gotten rained on, a lot, and has been submerged a few times. Its been painted. The cat has knocked it off the table. Did I mention that it retains its zero?

Where Other Optics are Better:

I have to nitpick on this one. I plan on replacing most of my current optics with Steiners. It is heavier than a RDS, and the RDS can be left on. The weight is negligible compared to a magnifier. I kinda wish it used a AAA or something battery somehow, but I don’t think thats realistic. There are scopes with better glass and more magnification, that cost twice as much. Taenebraex does not make covers for the P4, but they do for the T5. The illum knob is mushy. The Comp M and Eotech are slightly better in funky positions that you are unlikely to use. Razor would be better for 3gun because of the JM1 reticle. I dunno; I’m grasping at straws here.

If this reads more like a glowing endorsement than a comparison, there is a reason for that. Its a really versatile optic, and is priced super low. I plan on re-equipping every non-clone rifle from 12.3” to 18” with either a P4xi or P5xi.
    Very excellent review. I use the same optic and agree with everything you said. Would like to see some pics though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Good review, I run one and I like it,Cheers

What caps are these?
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast