Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HK VP9-B Tactical + some cool kit

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    FWIW, I use a Glock 21 Safariland ALS for my VP9. Not sure if the barrel and sights will make it not fit, but it's an option

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    A VP9SK with night sights from the factory is my CCW gun (I also carried a full size VP9 for a couple years that has since been mostly reassigned to bedside duty with a TLR-1HL on it). I'd have to check my log but I believe I have about 4200 rounds through the SK. I've had three "malfunctions" that I'm pretty sure were my fault and not the gun. The carry/HD load in both VPs is currently standard pressure Federal 147gr HST (prior to September I was using 147gr Golden Sabers)
    Now I am not a particularly strong handgun shooter, I don't have much "natural" pistol shooting ability and have to shoot pretty regularly to avoid backsliding, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but my impression is that i actually shoot the SK somewhat better than the full sized VP9.
    I shoot the SK best with the 13 round mag with the grip extension. The downside is that the gap between grip and extension often pinches the shit out of my pinkie finger, to the point where I end up with blood blisters sometimes (I had this problem when i had a G26 years back) I think I'd really like a VP9 variant with an SK-length barrel/slide and a grip that's the same length of the SK grip + 13rd mag extension but it probably wouldn't make much commercial sense for HK to release such a model.
    I've honestly considered getting a Glock 48 and transitioning over to that, and still might at some point, although it's unlikely i would get rid of either VP9 as they are both good, proven guns in terms of function so they are worth keeping around even if I were to go in a different direction with regard to a carry gun.
    Thanks for the intel. Three malfunctions out of 4,200 rounds (regardless if user or gun's fault) is acceptable in my book. Just curious, any particular reason you switched from Golden Sabers to HST?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    FWIW, I use a Glock 21 Safariland ALS for my VP9. Not sure if the barrel and sights will make it not fit, but it's an option
    Good to know, however, I took advantage of Safariland's 30% off Black Friday and ordered a 6390-5932. Sales rep told me I should have it by the end of January but not holding my breath.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    Thanks for the intel. Three malfunctions out of 4,200 rounds (regardless if user or gun's fault) is acceptable in my book. Just curious, any particular reason you switched from Golden Sabers to HST?
    I just checked my log and the round count is actually 4336.

I switched to HSTs partially because they have a great reputation, whereas the Golden Sabers seemed to be a *decent* but IIRC somewhat dated bullet design. And also because I started having trouble finding the Sabers at as good of a price as I used to be able to get them at, while at the same time there have been frequent sales on HSTs in the last couple months.
    Seemed as good of a time as any to switch over.

I used to use tons of Blazer 115gr 9mm as range ammo, but I've been shooting a lot of Federal 147gr ball lately as well.
    I dunno how helpful it really is or is not to use the same bullet weight for range use as what you carry, but since I can get it for about the same price, I figured why not?
    Last edited by Circle_10; 12-09-19 at 12:36.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Shot a VP9 yesterday for like the second time. Couple hundred rounds. So easy to be accurate with like slow groups on a b8 at 25 yards. But it is definitely flippier then other options which makes doubles and fast drills harder and slower. I like them a lot, just wish they recoiled more like a Glock or M&P.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, I've asked H&K about the button mag release on the SK and they say they're not planning on it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnar4321 View Post
    FWIW, I've asked H&K about the button mag release on the SK and they say they're not planning on it.
    I'm perfectly okay with the paddles on a CCW rig as I don't even carry a spare magazine. I know some here might give me a little flak for that but statistically speaking, the chances of having to reload during a citizen self-defense shoot are astronomically low.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Still loving this thing and still running it like a wild banshee. My Safariland 6390-5932 holster just came in as well. Took 60 days exactly to get here. Can't wait to hit the field with it!

Worked on the gun a bit the last few weeks as well. Not sure if it was necessary but I swapped out the stock plastic firing pin sleeve for a red aluminum one.

Also got rid of the cocking assist ears and installed factory flat ones. Lastly I changed out the backplate for a solid aluminum plate, eliminating the round cocking indicator window.

Those last two upgrades got rid of the two "features" that I honestly had no use for and at the same time gave the gun a much cleaner sight picture in my opinion. Weather permitting I should be out runnin & gunnin tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    Still loving this thing and still running it like a wild banshee. My Safariland 6390-5932 holster just came in as well. Took 60 days exactly to get here. Can't wait to hit the field with it!

Worked on the gun a bit the last few weeks as well. Not sure if it was necessary but I swapped out the stock plastic firing pin sleeve for a red aluminum one.

Also got rid of the cocking assist ears and installed factory flat ones. Lastly I changed out the backplate for a solid aluminum plate, eliminating the round cocking indicator window.

Those last two upgrades got rid of the two "features" that I honestly had no use for and at the same time gave the gun a much cleaner sight picture in my opinion. Weather permitting I should be out runnin & gunnin tomorrow.

Surprised to see you deleted the charging handles. I think they're pretty nice. I like the way S&W did the M&P 2.0's, it's subtle and works well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Those solid striker plates are a fairly big improvement and were the only mods I did to my VPs. When cleaning my full-size I found it disconcerting the amount of lint and crap that seemed to find its way in through the hole in the factory plate, so I ended up getting the aftermarket plate from HK Parts. Later when I got my SK as soon as the gun had passed its “vetting period” I immediately put a solid striker plate on it as well. (I won’t buy accessories for new handguns until after they have successfully gone through at least 500-600 rounds or so with no issues. Because I once got burned before buying a bunch of stuff for a new pistol that turned into a chronic malfunctioner).
    The VPs are good guns, but it really does look like I may be going back to Glock for CCW and at least in part, for HD, although I am probably going to keep both of my VP9s as well.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well my suppressor (tax stamp) still hasn't arrived but dammit I walked in to a gun store today and walked out with another VP9. Couldn't resist the beautiful woodland/multicam-ish finish on it. Store owner said he received them in very limited numbers from the distributor. I guess now I can have a dedicated suppressed nightsand VP9 and this cerakoted one will be my shooter/competition rig.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast