Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Muddling For Solutions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HMM View Post
    I tell the youth at church that Adam and Eve were kicked out of the garden and punished with what? Work!

I tell them to go to college and choose a profession that allows them to live the life they want, not to pick a career that they are passionate about. Work to live, don’t live to work. My job allows me to have many hobbies that I’m passionate about. I don’t hate my job but I wouldn’t show up for free. And what I like about it the most is the life it allows me to live.

And when I say college, trade school is included if not preferred.

Spot on!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I hate old AND young people.

Some of youse need to just go in the ground and the others need to crawl back between your moms legs and bake a little longer.
    I hate you all. All of you.

You old people with your Matlock
    You young people with your Fortnite.

If you like trannies, Sega Genesis, Stoli, KAC, and Christian Slater movies you can stay.

If not then you gotta go. Aaaasggghhh!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

I hate old AND young people.

Some of youse need to just go in the ground and the others need to crawl back between your moms legs and bake a little longer.
    I hate you all. All of you.

You old people with your Matlock
    You young people with your Fortnite.

If you like trannies, Sega Genesis, Stoli, KAC, and Christian Slater movies you can stay.

If not then you gotta go. Aaaasggghhh!!!!
    Replace Stoli with Bourbon and Trannies with real women we can be friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Replace Stoli with Bourbon and Trannies with real women we can be friends.

Last edited by Firefly; 11-24-19 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    HMM hit it pretty well.
    I got my dream job- I was fortunate to have a drive and passion for a somewhat normal career, and was blessed with the ability to achieve it.

My advice to others is narrow options to an achievable career, and of the ones you dont hate, pick what pays the most.
    Then follow your passions as hobbies.

The biggest problem I see is people are not self-aware, and often think they are more skilled than they actually are.

As for general unhappiness, i see a LOT of people that complain about not having what they want, but dont budget properly to get it, even though they have the means. Budget is referring to both time and money investment.

“I wish i was in shape”- eats fast food and watches 2 hr tv every night
    “ wish I had x material things” - spends thousands a year on entertainment, food, cigarettes, booze, gambling...
    “I wish i was good at x” - spends no time on x.

Ive come to the conclusion (my opinion) that talent is overrated and hard work beats it for all but the highest levels of whatever. People dont want to put in the work or discipline themselves, and sit on their computer saying “must be nice” while being bitter towards those who do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Can’t get on board with the penis chicks. Sorry, dude.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    There isn't a lot of delayed gratification going on anymore is there?
    No, not a lot. I remember when we were first married (1973) the wife and I saved for four months to buy a $90.00 black and white T.V. I'm a long way from that now, if I want it I get it. The reality is that credit is much more available now than it was 20-30 years ago. It is our fault for falling into the trap, but there are sure a lot of folks waiting to give you money.

Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    How many middle class kids you see roofing houses in the summer to go back to school in the fall?
    Well, my Grandson is 15. He has a Hispanic friend and he did roof this summer on his friend's uncle's crew. My son told me he would drive past to check on 'E' and it was kind of funny seeing his white torso up there with all the brown ones. He made a couple grand for the summer.

In case you haven't noticed opportunities for high school/junior high jobs like that like have disappeared in today's world. Roofing jobs are done by illegals/legal immigrants; grown men and women now deliver papers; grown men and women know run landscaping companies and have pretty much sewn up the lawn mowing racket as well.

No matter how much we want to reminisce, fact is we ain't returning to the America that existed several decades ago.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-24-19 at 23:26.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Can’t get on board with the penis chicks. Sorry, dude.
    I don't think anyone is asking you to make passionate love with them.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    And those right there are key words, supposed to be. This is where that nasty thing called reality intersects with the Ideal World. Things generally aren't how they're supposed to be in a perfect world, because the world ain't perfect!

And no, "....wishing for fulfillment and opportunity to achieve in a satisfying job...." isn't considered a Leftist trait. When you continue to pursue that false dream (see the Mike Rowe video posted above) and then blame "society" or "The Man" for your broke-dick predicament in life then yes, THAT is a Leftist trait and I surmise you will likely vote that way since it's not really your fault after all right? The Left is attractive to that aspiring singer waiting for his/her "one big break" while waiting tables to barely pay the bills. The Left offers "free stuff" (which of course we all know isn't really free) that he/she can't otherwise afford because of a life choice. *caveat: I understand there are things that occur that are unpredictable, so you may have a tougher time of it every now and then throughout life but being resilient in those circumstances is paramount*

I believe I said earlier you don't have to love your job, just be able to tolerate it; I did NOT say do it if you absolutely hate it.
    Let me clarify my position.

First, I think that a person should try and find a job that the like, and not just tolerate. They don't have to love it, but I think a person should try and do something they get some level of fulfillment out of. It may not be their passion, but I think it's better than just taking a job doing something that you couldn't give two shits about in the long run. If all that presents itself is such a job that you can live with and pays the bills but you don't necessarily like, then yeah, I suppose that's what you've gotta do. But I wouldn't advise people to settle on that just as soon as they come upon such a job, or to think that a tolerable job is the best any normal person can ever hope for.

However, I do agree that it's stupid to simply wait out your big break to get something big and lofty while simultaneously complaining about having an entry level job. Chances are, you don't have the talent to be a professional actor, musician, or athlete, and even if you do, you stand less than a 1% chance of being in the right place at the right time to have that opportunity. I also know that even for normal jobs, if you're not cut out to do your dream job, you need to find something else. You may want to do something dangerous and exciting like the military or law enforcement, but if you can't handle stress or think on your feet, the job is not for you. Likewise, you may want to be a doctor, but you may just not be smart enough to get into, much less graduate, medical school. Hell, if you're not good and steady with your hands, many trades may be out.

So, a person needs to find something they like that they can be good at. But I would also advise people not to give up easily, or feel like they need to stick with going for low hanging fruit. Yes, maybe trades are currently the most plentiful, and least expensive job options to get. But the world does need doctors and teachers too. If a goal is obtainable, I say pursue it. Have backup plans, always, but go for what you feel you can do to offer the best service to others.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-25-19 at 22:44.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast