Rather than discussing “sucking” chest wounds, I would prefer to simply divide thoracic injuries into penetrating and non-penetrating categories in the prehospital setting. I would prefer that penetrating injuries are covered or sealed prior to my arrival, with respect given to time and other priorities.

I commonly have a response time of greater than 15 minutes, and sometimes up to 35 minutes. Our system is busy.

I’ve seen a variety of chest seals attempted by cops and first responders. From a square of Saran Wrap, to a wrapper, to HyFin. I cannot recall any that I felt to be harmful. HMac’s experience seems to differ, and he’s probably smarter than me. Some dressings seemed effective, some less so. I’ve also seen many wounds go untreated prior to my arrival, and been mildly annoyed. You don’t necessarily need to stock and cary Halo’s or HyFins; there are other options.

Treat the bleeding and airway first. Cut away clothes and LOOK FOR ADDITIONAL WOUNDS. Thats the number one deficiency I see. No one seems to check for additional wounds.