Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brace Opinions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Brace Opinions

I moved from NJ to ME a few months back, and looking to pick up (or order online) a few stripped lowers next week. Figured I’d keep some for a rainy day... but likely doing one as a 5.56mm AR pistol.

Upper will eventually be a BRN-180S. Gives me the barrel length I’d want in a 5.56mm (10.5”), but also allows me to not run a traditional buffer system. I eventually will go with a shorter barrel pistol, likely in 9mm (probably 5” to 8” range), so I feel good with the upper choice. But going that route has given me three setups that I’m going back and forth on. Figured some might have tried one/two/all... so looking for insight.

My first option was put in a M1913 endplate (likely KNS), and use a SB FS1913 brace (think MPX/MCX). That one gets rid of an empty buffer tube, and allows for easy storage. However, the LOP is fixed (maybe it works for me, maybe it doesn’t), the brace doesn’t look comfortable if shouldered (cheek-weld), and no idea on how solid the lockup is. Not that cheap, but figure folding the pistol to lose that much length makes the price somewhat worth it.

Second option was just put on a buffer tube, and run a traditional brace; SB A3 was the front runner, but have been eyeing up the CMMG Rip Brace. Compactness isn’t its strong suit, but should be solid. Shooting a brace isn’t the same as shooting a stock, my TAC-14 taught me that much... but it should be pretty close in those situations. Also, if I decide to go with a regular upper somewhere down the road, all I need is a spring and buffer. Not caring about OAL, and possibly putting a vertical grip on... so would completely be for a solid shooting platform.

The third is actually one I’m least interested in, but figured I’d see if people have some feedback with it. Pretty much, same as the second option (A3 or Rip Brace)... but with a LAW Folder. If I was running a regular buffer system and wanted a folder, I’d see merit with that. But for $240 for just that part, I feel it isn’t worth the costs. And while everything I read about it says it is solid... it is just extra stuff to go wrong.

Just looking if anyone tried any of these setups and how you liked/dislikes it. Maybe you said the hell with one for a specific reason... so looking for the good/bad/ugly. This is mainly a fun build because we really couldn’t do much along those lines in NJ, but I might pull some application out of it as a truck gun. I’m Federal L/E, so a longer pistol could be useful.

Thanks for your time.

Feedback Score
    I have a Law Tactical Folding Adapter and SBA Tactical SBA3 Pistol Brace set up for a IMI Kidon Pistol Conversion and 2 AR Pistols. It’s nice to have the option to transport in a compact fashion. It’s also nice to have an adjustable length for a brace.

AR Pistols cannot be shot in a folded condition. A IMI Kidon Pistol Conversion can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    OP, you're probably way more knowledgeable about building up an AR-type gun than I am.
    I know I had no desire to build-up my own so I bought a BravoCompanyMfg 11.5" 5.56 mm AR pistol, which came with an SBA3 SBTactical pistol brace. The brace is working fine for me and I'm hesitant to spend the extra money to make this gun into an SBR, which would allow me to put on any brand/model of AR collapsible stock I'd ever want.

I also have a SBTactical SBM4 fixed brace which came with my Remington Tac-14 non-NFA 12 gauge, but that's a fixed length brace. I believe the SBM4 is using a pistol-receiver-extension and it seems very difficult should I ever want to take the brace off the extension.

The rest of what you're asking seems to be personal-preference and I've no personal experience with any/all of the other products. Sorry, that's all I got.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Same set up AS CDR Glok here.

The SBA3 has become the Gold Standard for braces with our small circle. The LAW folder is about ideal on my "truck" gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    AR Pistols cannot be shot in a folded condition. A IMI Kidon Pistol Conversion can.
    For a traditional AR pistol, completely agree.

But the BRN-180 system doesn’t use a buffer. The entire system is within the profile of the upper, and doesn’t extend past the buffer retainer.

That way, the upper would fire in the folded position. Would be similar to the SIG MCX/MPX.

L-2, I also have that same brace on my TAC-14. Debating to switch that out to something like the A3 to give a little more flexibility. But that is likely down the line, when I can mess around with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    For a traditional AR pistol, completely agree.

But the BRN-180 system doesn’t use a buffer. The entire system is within the profile of the upper, and doesn’t extend past the buffer retainer.

That way, the upper would fire in the folded position. Would be similar to the SIG MCX/MPX.

L-2, I also have that same brace on my TAC-14. Debating to switch that out to something like the A3 to give a little more flexibility. But that is likely down the line, when I can mess around with it.
    Very nice.

If you shop around, particularly for Black Friday or Cyber Monday, I’m sure you’ll find the Law Tactical Folding Adapter much cheaper. I have acquired mine for right around $200 shipped. For a portable option I find it very useful.

I prefer the SBA Tactical SBA3 Pistol Brace over the style of the SBA4. That’s personal preference for me. I have several AR Pistols with that. They’re comfortable, easy to operate and solid feeling.

Once I find a system I like I don’t switch around for the purposes of consistency from gun to gun. Same goes for triggers, sights and magazines.

I find myself consistent across more of my guns than if I had a hodgepodge of choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    consider a folding adapter unit that allows use of a rear extension and brace/stock, but is designed to work with uppers that don't require a functioning buffer or spring

perfect for uppers like the BRN-180S or many 22LR units, and this type is all much less expensive and lighter weight than the LAW

better makers of these include:

HERA SFU (Side Folding Unit)

BTFA BUFFER TUBE FOLDING ADAPTER

MDT FOLDING STOCK ADAPTER

XLR PUSH BUTTON FOLDING ADAPTER

Last edited by feraldog; 11-24-19 at 12:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Brace Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by feraldog View Post
    consider a folding adapter unit that allows use of a rear extension and brace/stock, but is designed to work with uppers that don't require a functioning buffer or spring

perfect for uppers like the BRN-180S or many 22LR units, and this type is all much less expensive and lighter weight than the LAW

better makers of these include:

HERA SFU (Side Folding Unit)

BTFA BUFFER TUBE FOLDING ADAPTER

MDT FOLDING STOCK ADAPTER

XLR PUSH BUTTON FOLDING ADAPTER

Thanks for that... didn’t know there were ones like that. Figured either AR or MCX/MPX ones.

Do like the MDT adapter (just from looking on my phone at work). Anyone have a preference or a stay the hell away from?
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-24-19 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hard to beat the SBA3 for a basic, good quality collapsible brace. I have a few and really like them.

Feedback Score
    The SBA3 is really decently priced compared to other options out there. I've tried the PDW style and I've found it a bit heavier in addition to the increased cost.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast