Thread: fanny pack + soft vest combo for home defense?

Feedback Score

Question fanny pack + soft vest combo for home defense?

I have no doubt all or some of this has been covered already, but Google was off the paper.

----

tl;dr

For home defense, combine an always-at-hand fanny pack for reactive response, with a soft armor vest in the closet for proactive response.

Looking for wisdom from folks who have experimented with this, or something like this.

----

I am planning to re-do my stuff in the next 6 months or so. Performing risk management, #1 risk is home invasion. Keep in mind that I live in a very low crime area (in my neighborhood, excluding domestics only one crime in the last two years; a stolen car). I was thinking about a battle belt setup, but the reality is that there wouldn't be time. My rental duplex is small and flimsy.

So, I figure:
    inside the duplex => reactive response (5 seconds or less)
    outside the duplex => proactive response (60 seconds or less)

A nightstand gun or battle belt hanging in the closet doesn't help, so I ought to have a handgun on me at all times. In colder weather some folks carry a pocket gun in their jeans. Summertime is a challenge, however; swim trunks aren't good for supporting a Glock 43 or whatever. So I am thinking about a small fanny pack. Just big enough for handgun, mag, light. If possible, keep main compartment unzipped for faster draw; grab bag with support hand, draw gun with shooting hand.

If time permits going to the closet, what then? It occurred to me that if I have my fanny pack snapped around my waist, then putting on a battle belt with a full-size pistol could confuse things and lead to a fumble. Thus my curiosity for a vest. If I'm going to hassle with donning a vest, might as well have some bullet-stopping capability. I'm not going hiking with this rig, not needing concealment, much more likely to face .380 and 9x19 than rifle rounds.

Vest also has the benefit of offering protection at the range against those folks who put bullets into the ceiling...

So, has anyone messed around with this?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a LCP 380 on the living room table. If someone rings the door bell I put the gun in my pocket and go look

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Why is home invasion your number 1 risk? Are you somehow a higher value target? Are there any actual home invasions occurring regularly or irregularly in your area?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Why is home invasion your number 1 risk? Are you somehow a higher value target? Are there any actual home invasions occurring regularly or irregularly in your area?
    Not a HVT, quite the opposite. Simple math. From https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=44;

Total in own home or lodging; 18.0%
    Total near own home; 15.7%
    Total at or near friend's, neighbor's or relative's home; 9.2 %
    Total in commercial places; 12.1%
    Total in parking lots or garages; 7.3%
    Total in school or on school property; 13.0%
    Total in open areas, on street or public transportation; 17.6%

Combine the first two stats, in or around home, I get 33.7%. Thus #1 risk.

And though there's little violent crime in my area, I will probably be moving to a big city (Houston or San Antonio) next year.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CouchTater View Post
    Not a HVT, quite the opposite. Simple math. From https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=44;

Total in own home or lodging; 18.0%
    Total near own home; 15.7%
    Total at or near friend's, neighbor's or relative's home; 9.2 %
    Total in commercial places; 12.1%
    Total in parking lots or garages; 7.3%
    Total in school or on school property; 13.0%
    Total in open areas, on street or public transportation; 17.6%

Combine the first two stats, in or around home, I get 33.7%. Thus #1 risk.

And though there's little violent crime in my area, I will probably be moving to a big city (Houston or San Antonio) next year.
    OK. So use stats that encompass areas like LA and Chicago to skew the data towards your locality. Good Plan. Also understand, that a lot of that is specifically targeted crime.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand