Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense Delta 5

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Daniel Defense Delta 5

So, a buddy of mine that is connected with some body somewhere, made me a deal on the Delta 5 that no-one could refuse. Therefore, Im the proud owner of a Delta 5. I had a spare Gen 1 ATACR NF 5-25 sitting around that didn't sell, so it found a home.

My initial impression is that the bolt is silky smooth and the ability to change barrels is cool too. Im still up in the air about the stock. I like the check rest elevation piece and I like how long the stock extends forward. With its 20'inch barrel and long stock it feels like a carbine, kinda cool. Trigger is set at 4lbs from factory, but can and will be set to (much lower) but for me 2.75lbs (my preference). Timney Hunter elite or some such trigger.

After half ass zeroing, (long story) I was able to get on 1,000 and 1,300 with ease. The chamber was too tight to chamber our reloads so I banged on factory fodder. FGGM and TAP 168 ammo. Impressed the 168's soared to 1,300 with ease and consistency.

I still question the rigidity of the stock and they say no bedding required. My question is can I bed it anyway, because if I can I will. Very accurate very cool gun, more data to follow in the coming weeks.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 11-24-19 at 16:38.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    A spare ATACR 5-25 sitting around...

Tell me more about your problems.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    A spare ATACR 5-25 sitting around...

Tell me more about your problems.
    Adjusting the trigger is fairly simple. It's a Timney Elite Hunter and Timney sets them for us between 3.5 to 4 lbs. You can dial all the way down to 1.5 lbs.

I've been shooting mostly Hornady .308 168 gr BTHP and they shoot very well. On the 6.5, we've been very happy with Hornady 140 gr ELD Match.

The action is mechanically bedded. The Bottom Metal has integral pillars that pass through the mini chassis and mate with the receiver and favor the recoil lug.

I'll be taking this one to a High Angle Precision Rifle Course at GTI Legion in less than two weeks.

Delta 5 308.jpg
    Joe Marler
    Law Enforcement Sales Manager

jmarler@danieldefense.com
    www.danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Joe, you say its mechanically bedded, but is it possible to bed, would there be any advantage even if so only a minor improvement? Or would bedding screw something up?

Im going to shoot next week, loading the bipod and not loading and see if there is a POI change. The gun feels and looks very high quality, I'm impressed so far. I'll get that trigger down and have some fun in the sun. A good first try at bolt guns for DD. The lever to loosen and tighten the cheek riser is a work of art.

I also had an extraction problem, it would not extract. Pulled the bolt and worked it back and forth and it would click and stick. After molesting it for a bit and some lube, it started to extract. Any word on this issue and any quick fixes if it persist. I think its gone but just in case.

Hey Joe, send me one of your spare 6.5 barrels !!

Good luck at your course, Im a bit jealous.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 11-25-19 at 19:07.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I spoke to the lead design engineer of the Delta 5 this afternoon and he said that it is possible to bed the action. Our conversation was brief so I'd have to get some more information on what exactly need to be done. He started using big words my small brain got confused!

If that extractor give you any more fits, please let me know. you can reach me anytime via email - jmarler@danieldefense.com.
    Joe Marler

www.danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marler5811 View Post
    I spoke to the lead design engineer of the Delta 5 this afternoon and he said that it is possible to bed the action. Our conversation was brief so I'd have to get some more information on what exactly need to be done. He started using big words my small brain got confused!

If that extractor give you any more fits, please let me know. you can reach me anytime via email - jmarler@danieldefense.com.
    I appreciate the offer, but I think it resolved itself with a little lube and finger banging. Last outing, I had zero issues.

I was impressed with the consistent hits at 1,300. I think it has a tight chamber/bore and quite possibly a fast 20 inch barrel ( if you will). The more I play, the more I like. I will take it to my Riflesmith tomorrow and see what he thinks about bedding it. If it can be done, he can do it. Ill keep you posted and hit you with Pics on email.

I have several 300's, and one is faster than the others due to the tight bore.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-03-19 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What kind of velocities are you getting? The one I've been shooting averages a little over 2600 with Hornady 168 BTHP Match.
    Joe Marler

www.danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I will Chrono some loads this Sunday. I plan to do FGGM 175's, TAP 168's and maybe some other loads I dig out. I put those on my DOPE list for sure.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marler5811 View Post
    What kind of velocities are you getting? The one I've been shooting averages a little over 2600 with Hornady 168 BTHP Match.
    I got 2488 fps with FGMM 175's and 2580 fps with TAP 168 ELD Match.

I bedded the action and feel it tightened up the groups, maybe. Anyway, I shot a clean .5 inch group and FGGM 175's and I shot it very fast and probably the gun could do better. Mark had .25 inch 4 shot group that opened up to a half on number cinco. CLASSIC #5. His first and second shot were right beside each other and 2,3,4 were in the exact same hole. You could barely see it open up. Then lucky number Cinco kicked his ass.

And if anybody wants to know, you don't want to feed your 308 with 6.5CM cartridges, with a can on. Does not end well. yep

But with 308, The Delta 5 shoots lights out. We haven't even done load development yet.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-09-19 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. This gun shot really good Sunday. I didn't expect to see such nice groups after so-so shooting last weekend. That bedding may have really helped.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast