Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pin & Weld

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Pin & Weld

I recently had need for a pin & weld for a muzzle device on a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel. I contacted John Thomas at Retro Arms...

https://www.retroarmsworks.com/

John was prompt to respond to emails and did a fantastic job with a great turnaround time at a reasonable price. I would post pictures but I don't have a camera with the precision needed to see the detail...the work is that clean.

I realize that pin & weld isn't something that's done very often as most folks simply go with a 16" barrel or SBR setup, but in the event someone needs this service, John does outstanding work and is great to deal with. John also offers a number of other services.

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have had John do a couple of pin and welds for me, as well as cutting a barrel on another rifle. He does fantastic work and his turnaround time is unbelievable. I would recommend John Thomas (Retro Arms Works) for any gunsmith service that he offers. I can't imagine anyone better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is the pin and weld he did on my M4A1 Block II barrel.

John does great work. He is a consummate professional.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Colt SOCOM barrel in need of P/W but didn’t know where/to whom to send it.

So this thread is timely - thanks, OP!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've read through the ATF NFA handbook (ATF E-Publication 5320.8, Revised: April 2009) and this what I find, 2.1.3 Rifle, page 6:

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
    attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
    into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
    measured.

Is there another source for the rules for pinning? The reason I ask is that I don't see anything about having to leave evidence of pinning, so I wonder why folks put up with rough welds.

It seems to me that 1) I've never seen an ATF agent actually visiting ranges and doing random inspections of firearms; so 2) if you have the ATF up your ass about your pin and weld job, you've got other things to worry about.

There are numerous non-destructive ways to verify the device is pinned if you are successful at making it invisible upon close examination (which is unlikely).

I'm getting ready to do my first one, the pin will be BDC on the barrel, it will be finished and cold-blued.

Just curious.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    While true if it's being checked that it's probably being held in the evidence locker. I think most like to have something readily identifiable if it was being checked on that odd off chance it was noticed otherwise.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Never hear a bad thing about John. I have sent multiple items for work and always happy. The best part is his pricing is better than other well know places (i.e ADCO) so the value is great!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    I have a Colt SOCOM barrel in need of P/W but didn’t know where/to whom to send it.

I sent you a PM.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    The reason I ask is that I don't see anything about having to leave evidence of pinning, so I wonder why folks put up with rough welds.

It seems to me that 1) I've never seen an ATF agent actually visiting ranges and doing random inspections of firearms; so 2) if you have the ATF up your ass about your pin and weld job, you've got other things to worry about.

There are numerous non-destructive ways to verify the device is pinned if you are successful at making it invisible upon close examination (which is unlikely).

I'm getting ready to do my first one, the pin will be BDC on the barrel, it will be finished and cold-blued.

Just curious.
    Not necessarily a duly-appointed badge-carrying federal ATF agent, but another other reason for leaving obvious visual evidence is because of perhaps overzealous Nazi range officers on the prowl, and loud-mouth dumfuq Fudds who hate anything "tactical". "Here! See! it's welded! now go back to your own bench and STFU."

weld evidence to avoid unwanted attention. Depends on where you are, some shooting environments are just not as receptive to CQB AR's.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post

How about no pin and weld? SBR instead?
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast