Thread: G19 Gen Top half Differences

Feedback Score

G19 Gen Top half Differences

Biggest question is are new gen3 barrels the same as gen 5 barrels?

So I've standardized on G19s at the moment, but due to available deals, I'm all over the map as far as gens... so:

I know gen 4-5 the only upper differences are:
    1. slide
    2. backplate
    3. Drop safety/trigger safety plunger
    4. sights

What about gen 3-4?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-24-19 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gen 5, all the way, and don't look back.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    3-4

Different recoil spring (dual spring on gen 4 versus single spring in gen 3)
    Textured frame on gen 4
    Replaceable backstraps on gen 4 (gen 3 equivalent to “medium” backstrap)
    Larger magazine release on gen 4
    Gen 4 comes with 3 magazines (gen 3 comes with 2)
    Gen 3 has a much more durable finish on the slide

I believe barrels are interchangeable in all generations of G19, though recoil spring assemblies are not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    3-4

Different recoil spring (dual spring on gen 4 versus single spring in gen 3)
    Textured frame on gen 4
    Replaceable backstraps on gen 4 (gen 3 equivalent to “medium” backstrap)
    Larger magazine release on gen 4
    Gen 4 comes with 3 magazines (gen 3 comes with 2)

I believe barrels are interchangeable in all generations of G19, though recoil spring assemblies are not.
    Thanks, I am under the impression they are the same, but I see some manufactures selling gen3/4 barrels, and gen 5 barrels.
    Comparing my gen4 vs gen5, I see no difference, and I know you can convert gen4 guns to gen3 recoil assemblies.

I'm buying a barrel to fit all 3 gens of G19 (3,4,&5) and want to make sure this is going to work.

Feedback Score
    I thought the locking blocks were all different too? So even though it may fit, the way the barrel tilts could cause increased parts wear. Don't quote me on that for sure, but I thought there were a lot of changes on the Gen 5, including RSA, which would also effect things.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I will throw in a caveat that that is likely not the case for Gen 3 guns produced in the early to mid 2000's.

Feedback Score
    Budget, only the locking block on the 17 was changed. the 17.5 has the same size locking block as the 19 now.

The 19 barrel will git all 3 gens the OP asked about. Only difference is the lands and grooves in a gen 5.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    Budget, only the locking block on the 17 was changed. the 17.5 has the same size locking block as the 19 now.

The 19 barrel will git all 3 gens the OP asked about. Only difference is the lands and grooves in a gen 5.

Thank you.

I was still thinking that even though all barrels will work with Gen 3/4/5 it still wasnt recommended. I swear I read that here. Could be mistaken.

Feedback Score
    They will work, look at the glock forum. They prove it. I researched the crap out of this subject. I had a gen 3 and had extra barrels. wanted to make sure they would have fit the gen 5. but i shot the gen 5 and ended up going gen 4 with the new 19 and 17.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Gen5 slides have a notch machined right next to the breach face. From what I have read this aids in extraction/kicks the brass forward to keep it from striking a RDS.