Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactics vs. the restaurant take-over robbery

Feedback Score

Tactics vs. the restaurant take-over robbery

This one has always sounded like one of the toughest scenario's to deal with.

A rush of multiple armed attackers intent on robbing everyone in the place. (or ?)

Some factors:

-Sitting where you can see the entrance / approach?
    -Cover / concealment available?
    -Exits
    -Bystanders
    -The people you are with, if any
    -Flee, Fight, or try to comply?
    -How many bad guys? All armed? Chance of "undercover" bad guys?
    -Backstop?
    -Suitability / capability of your weapon?

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    See also: Pulp Fiction.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Three bad guys, at least two guns, one is an SKS:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...a-1461fad47e28

This one involved eight people being tied up. I'm not being tied up.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/sea...d-up/999622384

At an Outback Steakhouse:

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...2zlMvyezfVwJ/#

One more. These aren't rare.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...acks/148742470

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Not saying it doesn’t happen. Just having fun with the topic.

I would recommend always having a good view of likely entrances in public places.

I have a tendency to only hang out with certain people, which is part of the reason I have few friends. But these cats carry guns religiously.

There is little or no cover in the dining area of almost any resturaunt.

I’m as likely to dart the eff out as anything else.

Always be aware of exits and have a plan
    Last edited by 1168; 11-25-19 at 00:53.

Feedback Score
    Yea, a fast exit would be my first choice. Gotta look where the exits are.

Feedback Score
    Exit if possible.

Very situationally dependent, but from what Ive seen, your best chance is at the beginning. They are coming in to take control, once they have it you have less options. If they meet resistance in the doorway while still trying to assess the situation, they are more likely to abort.

If they do get control before you can react, best thing is to comply until you have an opportunity to make a move.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Don’t go to Brazil?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Don’t go to Brazil?
    Happens in the States plenty, unfortunately.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=restau...6C23D110650BE5

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=MegademiC;2788693]Exit if possible.[/QUOTE

Best strategy, I always try to sit near an exit, preferably a locked exit - generally these are alarmed; also near the kitchen is an option, through the kitchen out the back door. Discuss you thought process with your family - those you hang with. Make sure that if you say 'kitchen exit, now' or 'out the door, now' there is no back talk or discussion. My kids rolled their eyes, but they knew where the exits were and knew what to do after they exited, after I had gone over it several times. There mon was a deputy, so she understood the process:

1) exit (going through the exit door or kitchen say robbery, come with us AFTER you have passed folks)
    2) safety - cover and distance
    3) communicate - call 911 after 1 and 2 are accomplished
    4) be a witness

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Very situationally dependent, but from what Ive seen, your best chance is at the beginning. They are coming in to take control, once they have it you have less options. If they meet resistance in the doorway while still trying to assess the situation, they are more likely to abort.
    Taking them as they come through the entrance is somewhat problematic if you don't get them all, or if they have associates who you didn't identify. Dependent on the restaurant type, it could end up as a they are outside and you are in the very visible box.

Under any circumstances, taking on multiple assailants single-handedly is problematic (DUH ) You have to put them down. Before adding that to your plan, realistically assess your ability - do you have the ability to deliver rapid precision shots on multiple targets, i.e. head shots at 15 to 20 feet. Can you shoot with precision while moving? Standing still in a gunfight with multiple adversaries is likely a recipe for disaster. This isn't Call of Duty where you get to reset - more than two assailants and your likelihood of prevailing is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    If they do get control before you can react, best thing is to comply until you have an opportunity to make a move.
    Statistically complying and letting your money walk is the best alternative.

Think about what would cause you to deviate from that plan. I would become more concerned and ready to act if they started herding folks to back rooms or shot anyone.

I'm not going to go further other than saying that if you plan to win a gunfight you need to make it as unfair as possible for the other folks involved.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    This always seemed like a tough scenario I couldn't come up with acceptable answers for besides, "get out if you can".

So I created this thread for comments and ideas.

It seems that if you see it coming you may be able to draw and start shooting as the bad guys enter the place. But if you have those few seconds you're probably better off using them to MOVE out.

If they come in shooting or want to tie people up / search everybody then your in a real pickle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast