Thread: 2 Position Commercial Extension Tube???

Feedback Score

2 Position Commercial Extension Tube???

Went to an estate sale over the weekend, only because there was a nice pile of AR-15 stuff. Bought a box of assorted parts and one intriguing item was a 2 position extension tube. I didn't measure it until I got home and it turned out to be a commercial tube with a non-angled back end and black in color. I have never seen a commercial 2 position tube and wonder about its origin (Bushmaster, DPMS, etc.)?

Any ideas?
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I’m thinking Bushmaster. It rings a bell for me but I can’t be sure. Been too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never heard of a 2-position commercial buffer tube. Several years ago, Bushmaster had 3-position buffer tubes that were very close to commercial diameter, but not mil-spec. They had an aluminum CAR stock that was design to work with that buffer tube. I use to have one of these and sold it.

Have you tried to see if a mil-spec stock will fit on the buffer tube?
    Last edited by Renegade04; 11-25-19 at 15:53.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Never heard of a 2-position commercial buffer tube. Several years ago, Bushmaster had 3-position buffer tubes that were very close to commercial diameter, but not mil-spec. They had an aluminum CAR stock that was design to work with that buffer tube. I use to have one of these and sold it.

Have you tried to see if a mil-spec stock will fit on the buffer tube?
    Not only did I measure it, I tried a variety of mil-spec stocks from original XM177 vinyl over aluminium, Colt N1, Modern Colt and an LMT Sopmod - none will fit it. It measures exactly 1.168 (29.667 millimeters) commercial diameter. And as I mentioned, it has a flat rear end unlike other angled tubes.

I've got a real oddball tube, so I wonder if it's worth anything? Maybe some more research is in order.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dude, I had a genuine Colt CAR-15 2 POS tube I just sold. If I knew you was looking for one, I would’ve cut you a hell of a deal.

I was wanting to make a CAR-15 like my dad had but decided to stop chasing the dragon. I have a better pic of him with an A1 I replicated years ago instead and I figure my factory SP1 Carbine is close enough (it was good enough for Sgt. Barnes)

Per the stock, it’s likely a Sendra. They were some of the first to do Carbine clones. IIRC they used cast lowers as well

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Dude, I had a genuine Colt CAR-15 2 POS tube I just sold. If I knew you was looking for one, I would’ve cut you a hell of a deal.

I was wanting to make a CAR-15 like my dad had but decided to stop chasing the dragon. I have a better pic of him with an A1 I replicated years ago instead and I figure my factory SP1 Carbine is close enough (it was good enough for Sgt. Barnes)

Per the stock, it’s likely a Sendra. They were some of the first to do Carbine clones. IIRC they used cast lowers as well
    At some point I am planning to build a CAR-15 clone like I carried for @ 3 years in the mid 1980's. I had mentioned here before that this carbine had a unique feature of popping off a couple of rounds even when in the semi position. It was a sporadic feature. Carried it with me in Central America in my aircraft in 1984-1985 and later. It was well worn.

I hope you got a good price for that Colt 2 position. They seem to be selling for @ $150 or more.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    At some point I am planning to build a CAR-15 clone like I carried for @ 3 years in the mid 1980's. I had mentioned here before that this carbine had a unique feature of popping off a couple of rounds even when in the semi position. It was a sporadic feature. Carried it with me in Central America in my aircraft in 1984-1985 and later. It was well worn.

I hope you got a good price for that Colt 2 position. They seem to be selling for @ $150 or more.
    I certainly got a healthy amount at FMV. I’m just saying had I known, I would’ve gotten you a homeboy hook up.