G&R Tactical
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 2 Position Commercial Extension Tube???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,750
    Feedback Score
    0

    2 Position Commercial Extension Tube???

    Went to an estate sale over the weekend, only because there was a nice pile of AR-15 stuff. Bought a box of assorted parts and one intriguing item was a 2 position extension tube. I didn't measure it until I got home and it turned out to be a commercial tube with a non-angled back end and black in color. I have never seen a commercial 2 position tube and wonder about its origin (Bushmaster, DPMS, etc.)?

    Any ideas?
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    564
    Feedback Score
    8 (90%)
    Iím thinking Bushmaster. It rings a bell for me but I canít be sure. Been too long.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,245
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never heard of a 2-position commercial buffer tube. Several years ago, Bushmaster had 3-position buffer tubes that were very close to commercial diameter, but not mil-spec. They had an aluminum CAR stock that was design to work with that buffer tube. I use to have one of these and sold it.

    Have you tried to see if a mil-spec stock will fit on the buffer tube?
    Last edited by Renegade04; 11-25-19 at 16:53.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

    USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004
    Oath Keeper member
    III% United Patriots member

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,750
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Never heard of a 2-position commercial buffer tube. Several years ago, Bushmaster had 3-position buffer tubes that were very close to commercial diameter, but not mil-spec. They had an aluminum CAR stock that was design to work with that buffer tube. I use to have one of these and sold it.

    Have you tried to see if a mil-spec stock will fit on the buffer tube?
    Not only did I measure it, I tried a variety of mil-spec stocks from original XM177 vinyl over aluminium, Colt N1, Modern Colt and an LMT Sopmod - none will fit it. It measures exactly 1.168 (29.667 millimeters) commercial diameter. And as I mentioned, it has a flat rear end unlike other angled tubes.

    I've got a real oddball tube, so I wonder if it's worth anything? Maybe some more research is in order.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11,772
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dude, I had a genuine Colt CAR-15 2 POS tube I just sold. If I knew you was looking for one, I wouldíve cut you a hell of a deal.

    I was wanting to make a CAR-15 like my dad had but decided to stop chasing the dragon. I have a better pic of him with an A1 I replicated years ago instead and I figure my factory SP1 Carbine is close enough (it was good enough for Sgt. Barnes)

    Per the stock, itís likely a Sendra. They were some of the first to do Carbine clones. IIRC they used cast lowers as well

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,750
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Dude, I had a genuine Colt CAR-15 2 POS tube I just sold. If I knew you was looking for one, I wouldíve cut you a hell of a deal.

    I was wanting to make a CAR-15 like my dad had but decided to stop chasing the dragon. I have a better pic of him with an A1 I replicated years ago instead and I figure my factory SP1 Carbine is close enough (it was good enough for Sgt. Barnes)

    Per the stock, itís likely a Sendra. They were some of the first to do Carbine clones. IIRC they used cast lowers as well
    At some point I am planning to build a CAR-15 clone like I carried for @ 3 years in the mid 1980's. I had mentioned here before that this carbine had a unique feature of popping off a couple of rounds even when in the semi position. It was a sporadic feature. Carried it with me in Central America in my aircraft in 1984-1985 and later. It was well worn.

    I hope you got a good price for that Colt 2 position. They seem to be selling for @ $150 or more.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11,772
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    At some point I am planning to build a CAR-15 clone like I carried for @ 3 years in the mid 1980's. I had mentioned here before that this carbine had a unique feature of popping off a couple of rounds even when in the semi position. It was a sporadic feature. Carried it with me in Central America in my aircraft in 1984-1985 and later. It was well worn.

    I hope you got a good price for that Colt 2 position. They seem to be selling for @ $150 or more.
    I certainly got a healthy amount at FMV. Iím just saying had I known, I wouldíve gotten you a homeboy hook up.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •