Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Hunting Scope Suggestions Under $400

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,324
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

    Hunting Scope Suggestions Under $400

    I have trouble keeping up with the newest offerings, but I know some of you are a lot better "switched on".

    What scope would you recommend for general big game hunting if we keep the scope under 4 bills? I would like to be set for deer/antelope/elk in the southeast and midwest. A plex reticle is fine for me, as is 10x on the high end and second focal plane.
    Mounting length needs to be 5.5 inches at a minimum and a 1" tube is preferred. No Chinese scopes please.

    I have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 on one 30-06 and need a scope for a second. I am considering a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 scope based on generally good reviews, 6" bell-to-bell tube length, and having a set of the excellent Leupold Alumina lens covers on hand.

    What other scopes are in the same general price and quality class?

    Thanks

    Andy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    2,918
    Feedback Score
    91 (100%)

    Hunting Scope Suggestions Under $400

    Andy

    I cannot recommend the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 scope enough. It isn’t to your exact specs but I actually prefer the additional capabilities of the 2.5-15. I bagged a 9pt early this morning and this evening when I was hunting I was able to pick up enough light in the scope to see a raccoon eating. My Steiner binos couldn’t bring as much light. I was so impressed. The eye relief is a solid 4” and while the reticle may take some getting use to it is an incredibly capable reticle. I’e bought two and one went into an AR-10 I did an extensive upgrade on.m for a friend. The owner has a Vortex Viper HS and and after viewing the Athlon glass it is definitely more clear - edge to edge clear than his Vortex. It isn’t subjectively more clear, it is OBVIOUSLY more clear. My buddy who was a huge Vortex fan (binos, range finder and more scopes) is a bona fide Athlon fan and will only run Athlon optics now . The turrets are it’s weakest point as they are tactical turrets only and out of the box mine were a little mushy. I contacted Athlon and tried their suggestion and now I have very positive clicks. Another good friend of mine who checked out my scope has already purchased two.



    I guarantee you that for $386 you will not get more clear glass and such good eye relief. This is my first time hunting with it and I am beyond satisfied, especially when I had lost almost all natural light yet my scope picked up enough light for me to watch a raccoon eating dinner about 100yd from my stand (no deer tonight but I’m headed out in the AM again. I have mine on my Remington 700 bolt gun and wouldn’t switch it out for a scope twice its price.
    Athlon has a similar forever warranty except they don’t repare the scope they send you a brand new one.
    Here’s the link where me and my buddy bought ours. Let me know if you have any questions I’ll do my best to answer.

    https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=1614462

    CameraLand NY is 100% GTG. Very solid people and super helpful.

    If you do decide to go this route be sure to select “free shipping” which in all likelihood will be USPS Priority Mail. So shipped to your door for $386.

    Sorry for any typos it’s been a long day and I need to crash for a very early wake up at stupid dark 30. Good luck and hit me up if u have any questions.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 11-26-19 at 00:12.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

    “The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    2,918
    Feedback Score
    91 (100%)

    Hunting Scope Suggestions Under $400

    One last point I belive the 2.5-15 Athlon takes Butler #19 and #40 caps. I found a really good buy and fast and cheap shipping. I’d you’re interested, let me know.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 11-26-19 at 00:13.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

    “The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,340
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have trouble keeping up with the newest offerings, but I know some of you are a lot better "switched on".

    What scope would you recommend for general big game hunting if we keep the scope under 4 bills? I would like to be set for deer/antelope/elk in the southeast and midwest. A plex reticle is fine for me, as is 10x on the high end and second focal plane.
    Mounting length needs to be 5.5 inches at a minimum and a 1" tube is preferred. No Chinese scopes please.

    I have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 on one 30-06 and need a scope for a second. I am considering a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 scope based on generally good reviews, 6" bell-to-bell tube length, and having a set of the excellent Leupold Alumina lens covers on hand.

    What other scopes are in the same general price and quality class?

    Thanks

    Andy
    I'm a huge fan of the Leupold 2.5-8 VX3i.. Light weight, does everything you need for a good hunting scope for shots at 400 yds and under. I'm ordering one tomorrow for my new .375HH.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,324
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Robert, the Athlon is undoubtedly a great scope (and STRONG on the performance-vs-price scale), but it's simply not what I am looking for (FFP, exposed turrets, and 27 oz).

    Doug, why do you prefer the 2.5-8 over the 3.5-10? They are priced about the same right now. I could live with 8x on the high end - it's replacing a VX2 2-7 that's moving to a compact .223. You don't anticipate mounting issues (5.1" bell to bell) on a 375? The 3.5-10 mounting space is 6".

    It's hard to explain, but the Vortex doesn't "look right" on my blued steel and walnut Mauser. It looks right at home on my stainless Ruger with its paddle stock, though.

    Thank you both!
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-26-19 at 08:21.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Robert, the Athlon is undoubtedly a great scope (and STRONG on the performance-vs-price scale), but it's simply not what I am looking for (FFP, exposed turrets, and 27 oz).

    Doug, why do you prefer the 2.5-8 over the 3.5-10? They are priced about the same right now. I could live with 8x on the high end - it's replacing a VX2 2-7 that's moving to a compact .223. You don't anticipate mounting issues (5.1" bell to bell) on a 375? The 3.5-10 mounting space is 6".

    It's hard to explain, but the Vortex doesn't "look right" on my blued steel and walnut Mauser. It looks right at home on my stainless Ruger with its paddle stock, though.

    Thank you both!
    If the Athlon doesnt fit the bill, I would still reach out to Camera land NY. Asked to talk with Doug. He is super knowledgeable and will be able to make a solid recommendation what you are looking for. They carry a bunch of brands

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    2,918
    Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    If the Athlon doesnt fit the bill, I would still reach out to Camera land NY. Asked to talk with Doug. He is super knowledgeable and will be able to make a solid recommendation what you are looking for. They carry a bunch of brands
    Doug is awesome. Simple azzat


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

    “The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,340
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Robert, the Athlon is undoubtedly a great scope (and STRONG on the performance-vs-price scale), but it's simply not what I am looking for (FFP, exposed turrets, and 27 oz).

    Doug, why do you prefer the 2.5-8 over the 3.5-10? They are priced about the same right now. I could live with 8x on the high end - it's replacing a VX2 2-7 that's moving to a compact .223. You don't anticipate mounting issues (5.1" bell to bell) on a 375? The 3.5-10 mounting space is 6".

    It's hard to explain, but the Vortex doesn't "look right" on my blued steel and walnut Mauser. It looks right at home on my stainless Ruger with its paddle stock, though.

    Thank you both!
    Weight. I hate heavy shit Actually, the 2.5-8 was the original and I don't think the 3.5-10 existed when I was looking. Honestly, I think the 3.5-10 would be a great choice. As for the short length of 2.5-8, Talley makes an extension base for my Kimber that allows it to work. I'm hoping there will be enough room to adjust for me. If not I have other rifles it can go on. The VX3i's strike a balance for price and performance for me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,324
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Weight. I hate heavy shit Actually, the 2.5-8 was the original and I don't think the 3.5-10 existed when I was looking. Honestly, I think the 3.5-10 would be a great choice. As for the short length of 2.5-8, Talley makes an extension base for my Kimber that allows it to work. I'm hoping there will be enough room to adjust for me. If not I have other rifles it can go on. The VX3i's strike a balance for price and performance for me.
    Thanks! The VX-3i scopes are pretty attractive right now, I believe they are marked down due to the move to the VX Freedom line. That also means the time to buy is limited, of course.

    I suspect I will be calling Camera Land as soon as we get Xmas shopping done.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-27-19 at 08:34.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,892
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Leupold VXR Patrol 3-9x40, with Firedot illum mildot retical and 1/10 mil adjustments. Just a tad over your budget at $419, but a fantastic proven optic, good glass, at a good price, weighs 15oz and has great eye relief.

    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009581380

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •