Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Daniel Defense pistol build.

Feedback Score

My Daniel Defense pistol build.

I love my little 11.3" .300 Blackout SBR. I do NOT love the fact that it comes with federal hassles that make it a PITA to travel with. Also, I built it years ago strictly as a home defense gun. I was kinda hoping that as .300 BO got more popular, ammo prices would come down, but they never really did. At least,not as much as I'd like. My other AR was a typical one, a 16" middy in a RECCE style. I built these both on Spikes lowers. I'm not a brand snob normally, and got a good deal at a gun show. One (the one I made the SBR) has an American flag laser etched on it. Had to have that regardless...

Now I'm wanting a pistol (5.56) so I can travel to other states with it, and not have to ask permission. Also, just being a "pistol" has it's advantages these days. The SBA3 was a game changer here. I took the cheap route first time, just ordering up a PSA 10.5" pistol upper, after picking up a lower at a LGS. Not too bad. Yes, overgassed. Yes, not as good quality, but she went bang every time... Then I got the bug to change it up because I was felling nostalgic. I swapped out the upper for an A1 upper so it would have the same feel as what I trained on in basic all those years ago... Love it, but it's still a PSA barrel, lower...

Now I'm doing something I've never done before. Going with a more high end (at least to my standards) receiver set... Daniel Defense. I picket up a pistol lower, then a unbarreled upper. First thing I noticed is that I really like the SOB brace that came on it. It feels more comfy than the SBA3. Not by a lot, the SBA3 is pretty good, but it's noticeable. Then I see the problem... no way to put a sling on the SOB. Well, that's gotta come off. The SOB goes on the PSA, and the SBA3 (PSA marked... lol) goes on the DD.

Black Friday sales are already going, so I ordered a 10.3" BA Hanson barrel for it at a killer price. I have one other BA Hanson barrel, on a .308, and it's a shooter, so why not. The sale + my 10% military and LEO discount+ free shipping = less than half the cost of the Noveske I wanted. I did want this build to use better parts, but I can't go all out living on VA disability... It should be as accurate, (or accurate enough anyway for a combat gun) and I won't be shooting 30,000 rounds anyhow... Could never afford the ammo. Also, I got the lightweight version with the .625 gas block. I don't want this to be too heavy if I can help it. Not gonna freak out about weight either, but I had the choice of a lighter barrel, so I took it. Still a guaranteed MOA barrel.

It will get a good sight. I'm giving it the Comp M4s from the SBR. That thing never leaves the house. It's a home defense gun, so it really doesn't need the toughest sight there is. This new pistol will go everywhere, get banged around. It needs the durability of the M4s, even if it is heavy. I wanted a T2 so I can keep it light, (getting old) but $$$. Like I said, can't freak out about weight all the time. This choice would cost me a lot, so she gets the heavy old standby. I'll put a Sig on the SBR. I have 3 Romeo 5 sights on other guns, and they are great. I may try one of the other Romeo sights on the SBR.

Oddly enough, the "high end" DD doesn't come with a very high end trigger. Quite a bit of creep in it. I have a JP trigger in the PSA. I'll repurpose that for now til I can afford a Geissele SSA. I have the SSA-E in my .308, and love it. The JP is pretty damn good though. I have this one, and another in the RECCE. Had them for years, and they have been real smooth. Just not AS smooth. This one was in my SBR til it got an Echo II. Yes, I have though of putting that in this new pistol build since this will be a go everywhere, do everything gun. We'll see.

Anyway, this is just the start of the build, but time will tell.

Here is the obligatory photo of my starting point...

Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 11-26-19 at 10:21.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Good deal! I think you'll like your results. I've played with a couple of BA barrels and a buddy has a 11.3" .625" 5.56 barrel. It's light and handy.

Feedback Score
    Ordered an Aimpoint 3x magnifier for it late last night. The barrel, and rail are both due in this week.

Other parts I have (on hand) are...

A Young Manufacturing National Match chrome M16 BCG. I've had one in my SBR for years. It has worked very well, and cleans with a wipe.

I have a GG&G rear sight I want to use. It's the one I had on my M4 in Iraq 04-06. I'll need to get a matching front. Probably put a tritium sight post in it too.

I'm going to put a standard charging handle, and A2 birdcage on one of my Raptor, and Warcomp equipped guns that don't see much use, and use the them for this as, it will be my primary weapon when done.

I have a Surefire scout light that it will get. It (like several other parts) is off a different gun, but I'll replace it on that with a Streamlight. I have to save money, but all the "good parts" will go on this pistol. I did get in a new Arisaka mount for it though.

I've wanted to try the "Gunfighter" AFG for a while, but after holding a SBR at a shop last week with one, I'll stick with the Magpul version. I like the front finger rest on it. I hook my index finger of my off hand over the front of the little stop, then the other three fit the angled part just right.

I'll try the standard DD supplied buffer spring, and H buffer first to see how that runs, but I have a spare Springco "red" just in case. I also have a leftover hydraulic buffer from an old pistol. It worked great in that, and it works good in my overgassed PSA pistol now. The BA barrel shouldn't be as overgassed as something like a PSA one so I should be able to get it running without the hydraulic one. They work great, but I'm always worried about the longevity of them in a weapon that will (could) see a lot of use.

I also have the JP Captured set up in my .308. It runs smooth, no, very smooth, so I may just spring (pun intended) for one of those in the 5.56 flavor.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 12-01-19 at 09:52.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking the Blue Force sling. My old sling does have the QD mounts, and I normally just take it from gun to gun, but I want this one to have it's own sling.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I called BA to see how they suggest setting up around their 11.3" barrel. They said they recommend a standard carbine buffer to start, so I would think that a standard spring and H buffer would work. The 11.3" 5.56 I tried was on a Vltor A5 equipped lower with an A5H2 buffer and standard rifle spring, and it ran well.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Hi —,

We appreciate the inquiry. I hope this message finds you well. If you are going to switch to the A5 system, I would recommend the lightest buffer possible. Our barrels are tuned to run on standard carbine buffers.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ticket status has been changed to Waiting for customer

With best regards,
    —— ——
    This was the response when I inquired about my 11.3” BA Hanson. With that said, it functioned fine with .223 at moderate temperature with an A5H2 buffer and standard rifle spring.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Forgive me, I forgot this was asking about 300BLK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Forgive me, I forgot this was asking about 300BLK.
    No, this pistol will be a 10.3" 5.56.

My SBR is an 11.3" .300BLK.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Barrel, and rail came in today. Went to test fit it, and got a nasty surprise... the barrel wouldn't slide in the upper. Tried it on a couple different ones, and she slid right in. OK, the receiver itself is too tight. My calipers are elcheepos, so they only go to the hundredth... the measurement came out the same. Took it to NAPA. Sure enough, it was about .007 too small. Easy enough. Just took a couple minutes with a brake cylinder hone. The anodizing is still there, just a bit thinner, and a little grey looking, but perfect fit. The barrel nut went on perfect, as did the gas block. (pinned, and 2 set screws) Kudos to Ballistic Advantage on that. The Warcomp took a bit. I lost the little instruction sheet, so I had to do trial and error several times to get the right combo of shims.

I got the Arisaka light mount on the rail with my Sure Scout Light, and it's in a perfect spot that won't interfere with a good grip on either hand. However, the light is too close to use one of the front sights I have in my gun box, so that will have to wait til more money comes in.

Took the Law Tactical folder off my SBR since it stays at home most of the time, and put it on the new pistol. Same for the JP trigger out of my PSA pistol. Rather than sort through my box for the PSA trigger, I just put the DD one in the PSA receiver. Basically, all she needs is the front sight, sling, and 3x magnifier. The 3x is on order, and I could put on my other sling if I need to. Hoping to get it to the range within a week or so to break it in, and Zero the Comp M4s. Looks funny though without that front sight...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    It got dark out, so you only get a "gun on the floor" photo.

Their dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast