Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Daniel Defense pistol build.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    That BCG really pops out at you. Nice.

Feedback Score
    Went front sight shopping today. Nothing I like. May have to do the online thing again... I did find a Blue Force Vickers sling that comes with the RED swivel, so I picked that up.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    My Aimpoint 3x magnifier cam in today. HUGE difference in glass quality that an old Sightmark 3x I had. Still, not much eye relief. I took off the rear sight to push it back some. This allowed me to keep my Comp M4s on the receiver so the weight isn't too far forward. I kinda like it as is now. No BUIS on it, but I doubt that M4s is gonna fail. Gotta get my bailing wire out, and tie down the light cable to the rail, and I'll call it done for now.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    No, this pistol will be a 10.3" 5.56.

My SBR is an 11.3" .300BLK.
    You are on a roll! That’s an excellent looking AR! Well done bro!!

Days late and a $100 dollars short, but I’ll throw my 5 cents in anyway. I have a BA Hanson 10.3 and it is hands down the best shooting SBR I’ve ever built and I’ve had a few. From Daniel Defense 12.5’s to a LaRue 12” to a couple Centurion Arms 12.5 and an 8.3 BA Hanson 300Blk (which isn’t really apples to apples here) Hands down, hands up, hands waving side to side that 10.3 BA Hanson is a dream to shoot. Up until recently The 10.3 had an A5 tube with an A5H2 buffer/Armalite rifle spring. I normally have an LMT L7D3 mil spec BCG in it, although it has had an L7Q3A enhanced carrier with a Sionics bolt completion kit, but honestly it ran perfectly with the mil spec LMT, and I moved the enhanced to my DD 12.5. With that config it’s softer shooting than any other SBR I’ve have or have had. The 10.3 with my 762 AAC can also seems to be more quiet than my 12.5’s. (According to my calibrated cannon cocker ears) Recently, I decided I wanted to shrink the 10.3 up a little more so I pulled the A5 from the engraved lower and installed a Troy PDW brace, the one with the proprietary buffer and spring. It hasn’t skipped a beat with the new setup. It isn’t as smooth as it was with the A5, but it is still a slappa smile on your mug rifle to shoot. Of course I have built some 14.5’s and 16” rifles that are smoother with less barrel rise but for a shorty it’s the bees knees. Originally it had a LaRue 9” quad rail but I swapped that out with a LaRue 9” MLOK rail mainly to test that rail out (at $10/inch it’s a winner, if you like MLOK) I pulled the Hiperfire EDT and replaced it with a LaRue MBT-1S single stage trigger. I still think for the cost to performance value, it blows Geissele out is the water. I have a Geissele Tricon that another M4Cer loaned me to evaluate, I set him one of my MBT-2S’s just so we could get some trigger time behind each and do a comparison. The Tricon is in my 16” 308 and I need some more time with at the range which ain’t been happenin’ lately! (Sorry chasing rabbits at 0347)
    I haven’t posted in like 30 yrs so hopefully I don’t sound like a broken record, but I haven’t used a carbine buffer system on an AR, personal or built for others, in years. Even on my AR pistols that use an SB3 brace, I use an A5 buffer system. My 300BLK had an A5 buffer system (A5H0/ A5 rifle spring) and ran with utter or udder perfection. I decided to shorten it up also and pulled the lower and built an SB Tactical PDW lower. I don’t consider myself a fanboy of anyone (EXCEPTION LaRue and besides being superior to anything in the world, except their stocks and pistol grips, plus they are practically neighbors. Okay Eurodriver!!!). but I’m a big believer in that A5 system. It’s been on all my 308 builds and I just finished my 5th a month or so ago, so I believe I’ve got a fair amount of time behind it and I just don’t even consider carbine buffer systems unless maybe a proprietary stock that uses one or something.

Congrats again on your build, it really is a fine looking shooter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Good deal! I think you'll like your results. I've played with a couple of BA barrels and a buddy has a 11.3" .625" 5.56 barrel. It's light and handy.
    I’ve got that barrel, also. I’m increasingly liking BA. The more of their barrels I shoot, the more I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I called BA to see how they suggest setting up around their 11.3" barrel. They said they recommend a standard carbine buffer to start, so I would think that a standard spring and H buffer would work. The 11.3" 5.56 I tried was on a Vltor A5 equipped lower with an A5H2 buffer and standard rifle spring, and it ran well.
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    This was the response when I inquired about my 11.3” BA Hanson. With that said, it functioned fine with .223 at moderate temperature with an A5H2 buffer and standard rifle spring.
    The 11.3 Hanson I have, along with a couple other BA 12.3” and 12.5” barrels are, indeed, lightly gassed. There’s some kind of voodoo at play here, because they’ll cycle an A5H2 with Tubbs spring with .223 ammo unsuppressed, and don’t become too gassy when I put the can on and run real ammo. And they run just fine unsuppressed with an H1 with Colt spring, also.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Barrel, and rail came in today. Went to test fit it, and got a nasty surprise... the barrel wouldn't slide in the upper. Tried it on a couple different ones, and she slid right in. OK, the receiver itself is too tight...
    I installed a BA barrel in a BCM upper (the new one with the different FA placement) about a month ago. Holy cow, it was tight.

Your pistol looks like it turned out really well. Nice modern setup.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’ve got that barrel, also. I’m increasingly liking BA. The more of their barrels I shoot, the more I like them.

The 11.3 Hanson I have, along with a couple other BA 12.3” and 12.5” barrels are, indeed, lightly gassed. There’s some kind of voodoo at play here, because they’ll cycle an A5H2 with Tubbs spring with .223 ammo unsuppressed, and don’t become too gassy when I put the can on and run real ammo. And they run just fine unsuppressed with an H1 with Colt spring, also.

I installed a BA barrel in a BCM upper (the new one with the different FA placement) about a month ago. Holy cow, it was tight.

Your pistol looks like it turned out really well. Nice modern setup.
    Thanks. Without a better quality set of calipers, I'm still unsure if the barrel extension was a bit oversize, or the hole in the receiver was a bit undersized, but the cylinder hone worked, and she runs great... Not even sure what I gained by going with the fancy name brand. (other than spending more money) I could have built this on an Aero receiver set, I just always wanted a Daniel Defense. Not like I'm one of those guys worried about resale value... Damn thing isn't even cut out for an echo trigger.

Their dogs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12