Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Corbon .223 Rem 77gr. MPR for Home Defense?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Yes. And that is the loading I would be most likely to buy.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Pointing out your cogitative bias is not insulting your intelligence, but since you cant bother to even comprehend that Dunning-Kruger just means you dont know that you dont know maybe I should start questioning it.

The thing is you aren't disputing my points...your incorrect explanation about the difference between 77gr and 55gr fragmentation just highlights how little you know about the subject, hint: it has nothing to do with distance. That not stating an opinion, thats just being flat out wrong about the mechanism of fragmentation between the two. Then when you are told you are wrong you run around screaming "muh rights are being violated!" like a petulant millennial snowflake.
    Ok. Tell me how a 77 at 2700 FPS is going to make someone more dead compared to a 55 at 3100 FPS if shot in the thoracic cavity at home defense distances at about 10 yards or less? Are the wound sizes of the slower and longer 77 that much greater to be the key difference between surviving or not surviving?

The fact that you don’t know why the 77 shines over the 55 at distance and why it was created due to greater retained velocity and length for fragmentation and aerodynamics is telling.

The 77 is a greater all around bullet that fragments at close ranges and at distance where the 55 will no longer fragment. But for home defense at 10 yards or less which is what the OP is talking about, they are a wash with one not being that much greater over the other to make any significant difference in wounding and stopping an individual and why Univibe said that an M193 is just as good for home defense purposes. The lack of knowledge on why they are a wash at 10 yards is telling and goes to show that you guys didn’t really know what he was saying.

If the OP’s question was is the 77 a greater all around bullet for home defense and distance than you guys would have been correct and Univibe would have been dead wrong.
    Last edited by Marine Corporal; 12-08-19 at 12:23.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Thanks!
    Id pick the Black Hills version over the Corbon since the TMKs were co-developed by Black Hills and Sierra.

Back to the OP:

The 77gr TMK is probably the most destructive .224 cal round Ive seen tested, unfortunately its not barrier blind. It would be a good option if you were living in a thin walled apt complex for example. If you think barriers might be involved you are better off with any of the Gold Dot/Fusion loads.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 12-08-19 at 12:55.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Corporal View Post
    Ok. Tell me how a 77 at 2700 FPS is going to make someone more dead compared to a 55 at 3100 FPS if shot in the thoracic cavity at home defense distances at about 10 yards or less? Are the wound sizes of the slower and longer 77 that much greater to be the key difference between surviving or not surviving?

The fact that you don’t know why the 77 shines over the 55 at distance and why it was created due to greater retained velocity and length for fragmentation and aerodynamics is telling.

The 77 is a greater all around bullet that fragments at close ranges and at distance where the 55 will no longer fragment. But for home defense at 10 yards or less which is what the OP is talking about, they are a wash with one not being that much greater over the other to make any significant difference in wounding and stopping an individual and why Univibe said that an M193 is just as good for home defense purposes. The lack of knowledge on why they are a wash at 10 yards is telling and goes to show that you guys didn’t really know what he was saying.

If the OP’s question was is the 77 a greater all around bullet for home defense and distance than you guys would have been correct and Univibe would have been dead wrong.
    Man, give it a rest.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Man, give it a rest.
    Why? Because you cannot dispute it? Since you cannot dispute it, shouldn’t you give it a rest?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Id pick the Black Hills version over the Corbon since the TMKs were co-developed by Black Hills and Sierra.

I agree, thats the one he had linked.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Why? Because you cannot dispute it? Since you cannot dispute it, shouldn’t you give it a rest?
    Uni is that you?
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Uni is that you?
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Uni is that you?
    Nope, but it is the same person as a previous user that got banned for the same thing: wtm75.

You know, you pulled the exact same stunt with the same language, coming to the defense of the same troll for the same issue.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...32#post2648532

For Crom's sake, man. At least be original. Show some flair, or at least try to make it hard for us. Ray Charles could see the similarities between your posts. And using the same registration emails?? Really? That's just insulting.

And I truly do not understand the whole "forum suicide note" thing. If you are going to leave, then leave. Spare us the wailing and lamentations. Nine posts ago you said you did not want to be part of this forum anymore.

But you know what, I can accommodate you on that. Having duplicate accounts for the purposes of trolling, bickering and general ass-hattery has always been grounds for an instant permanent ban. So I'll help put and permanently ban both your accounts - wtm75 and Marine Corporal.

Welcome to the M4C NFE list. You can join Paul McCain and the others. Be warned: next time you try and sneak in here, we'll all go JSantoro on your ass.

Ahem.

On an kind of related note, I spent this weekend in a ShivWorks Impact Weapons Instructor class. Great stuff! A lot of the usual suspects were in attendance, include a very kind friend who just finished 28 years in the US Army Infantry. Superb fellow.

We discussed performance of ball ammo. He recounted a "green on green" shooting he interrupted with his M9. Four solid hits to the upper chest with ball ammo at a measured 23 yards. The Afghan guard that suffered from Sudden Jihad Syndrome was unimpressed with those four FMJ rounds.

But yeah, all ya need is FMJ.........

So how about this? Let talk about the OP's original question. I have a fair bit of .223 Gold Dot JSP ammo stockpiled, and a bunch of 5.56 TSX. The Black Hills loads interest me greatly, and am looking forward to doing some ballistic pig research this spring.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    @Serious Student:

I would like to respectfully disagree with your opinion. Based on my first hand experiences I have seen probably a half dozen to a dozen gun shot wounds in calibers ranging from 22 & 9mm to 50 BMG. Every single one of the victims survived except for the one shot by the .22 LR. Thats right.... the 14 year old Afghan that got hit with a 50 BMG and lots of shrapnel from the windshield, survived. Very talented surgeon, but the point still stands: the only calibers I have ever seen perform with certainty was 40mm and above. JDAMs and 500 pounders are choice. While I respect Doc's research and agree flat out there are better bullets, than 55gr/62gr; it is absolutely indisputable those two rounds together have put more bad guys in the dirt than any fancy bullet ever will. Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and dozens of other shit holes have offered to be significant data samples. What I think he was trying to say was more along the lines of " It's the Indian, not the Arrow". I just feel that typical military ball ammo gets treated as the ballistic equivalent of a paintball, and a gold dot is the rod of god on the internet.

I do keep 62gr Gold Dot in my Home defense gun. However; I wouldn't hesitate for a second if all I had on hand was my steel practice ammo.
    That is another round I am very interested in. I've got a .223 bolt gun I got for a steal, and I'm going to put some data in its dope book for that load, and probably the 55 grain Gold Dot load as well.

I think a couple of local law enforcement agencies use that particular round. I believe the Dallas Police issued the TBBC round, and maybe the gold Dot's as well?

I'll do some more digging on which ones, and report back.

And if all I had was M193, I'd aim well and use judicious marksmanship. I'd also probably use a fair bit of that magazine.

But, however, comma, the great thing about being a civilian (well, there are a LOT of great things about being a civilian ) is that I get to pick my own ammo. Which is what this thread is really about. The OP wanted to know about Corbon. If anyone has real life no shit info regarding that ammo, please sing out.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast