Thread: Reloading SS109 bullets

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile Reloading SS109 bullets

I was just looking thru Widener's web site and stumbled on bulk packed SS109 62 grain steel core bullets in quantitys of 500 and 5000!

http://wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|281|727

Why buy old issue stuff when you can stuff your own? Anyone have load data for these bullets?

Feedback Score
    start with any normal 62gr load data and work up

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The latest Speer manual has data for the 62gr FMJ bullets. What powder were you thinking of using?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brown3345 View Post
    Why buy old issue stuff when you can stuff your own?
    My question is... Why mess with them at all?

The SS109 bullet offers nothing of value to me. It's not very accurate or anything. And the stupid bullet ogive means I have to reset my seating die. to load them.

I do have some of those bullets. But I got them during the last panic buying frenzy just to have something to reload because everyone was buying all the 55 grain FMJs. Once the 55 grain FMJ supply loosened up again, I put those SS109s in the back of the bottom drawer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    And the stupid bullet ogive means I have to reset my seating die. to load them.
    Another seating die and toolhead? Or just bite the bullet and load them up now, never buying more?
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    Another seating die and toolhead? Or just bite the bullet and load them up now, never buying more?
    I think I'll just leave them in deep storage. I damn near busted some out yesterday because I got home early and had time to do some loading. Also, someone posted his TAC powder charge here and it got me thinking about those bullets. But I came to my senses.

Feedback Score
    Just give up. You know you're going to break them out, load up some, and work out a load in case the day comes when they're all you have left to practice with...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    With my luck, I'd end up liking the load and buying a bunch more of the bullets

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well looks like I wont get them after all. I am currently moving my elderly parents down to FL and he gave me 2 large Coffee Cans of Winchester Moly coated 55 gr. FMJs. So it looks like I will have plenty to load for the next couple years!!

I think I might try out some Benchmark Powder on these and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    24 gr. H335 in my Stag works great!!!!!!!