Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical Choke Tube

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Beretta 1301 Tactical Choke Tube

Which choke do you guys prefer to run in your 1301 Tactical, and why?

Thanks.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Improved or Light Mod.
    Better pattern with 00Buck/birdshot and can still shoot slugs (which I really don’t care for these days).

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Improved or Light Mod.
    Better pattern with 00Buck/birdshot and can still shoot slugs (which I really don’t care for these days).
    Thanks.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What shells are you shooting and how does it pattern?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Yea. You don't really know how a combination will shoot without shooting it. Soft lead will be deformed more by a short forcing cone than a tight choke. Deformed shot makes for bigger patterns at any distance. Extended chokes tend to do better than short ones.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Yea. You don't really know how a combination will shoot without shooting it. Soft lead will be deformed more by a short forcing cone than a tight choke. Deformed shot makes for bigger patterns at any distance. Extended chokes tend to do better than short ones.
    Thanks for the responses. I'll try to get to the range early this week and get some pics of how it's patterning. It has the stock modified choke in it and I have a variety of shells on hand.

Note that this isn't any kind of complaint. I'm just curious if anyone here has changed out their choke for something else, or keep any additional chokes on hand, and if so why?
    Steve

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The factory choke was giving irregular and wide patterns with the 00 Buck I used at 15 yds.
    I had extended “Optima” (I think) tubes I use in a 391 Urika (Clays gun).
    I tried the Improved and Lt. Mod, both patterned the 00 Buck much better.
    The Improved shot slugs better.

I kept the Improved in the gun.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I went to an indoor range today and got a few shots of how my 1301 patterns with Federal low recoil #1 buck and with some old Winchester XX Magnum 3" OO buckshot. These were shots at 15 yards. I shot a few slugs at 15 and 25 yards first to make some sight adjustments and then tried the buckshot.

I'm not really impressed with the Winchester OO buck in the second pic. Is this common or would changing the choke help?
    Steve

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I went to an indoor range today and got a few shots of how my 1301 patterns with Federal low recoil #1 buck and with some old Winchester XX Magnum 3" OO buckshot. These were shots at 15 yards. I shot a few slugs at 15 and 25 yards first to make some sight adjustments and then tried the buckshot.

I'm not really impressed with the Winchester OO buck in the second pic. Is this common or would changing the choke help?
    That's a no-brainer... Shoot the Federal low recoil #1 with the choke you have exclusively. I you want to shoot heavier shot you are going to have to experiment. The entry to a choke tube is slightly larger diameter than the bore for obvious reasons. The lead of most aftermarket chokes is larger than it has to be. What I am saying is you may not get the same results from a modified aftermarket choke as the factory one you have. If I were in your shoes I would try a Beretta factory cylinder bore choke next. The slugs will like it and maybe the double ought will. You might also try Federal low recoil 00. It will be 9 pellet but may shoot better in your gun.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    That's a no-brainer... Shoot the Federal low recoil #1 with the choke you have exclusively. I you want to shoot heavier shot you are going to have to experiment. The entry to a choke tube is slightly larger diameter than the bore for obvious reasons. The lead of most aftermarket chokes is larger than it has to be. What I am saying is you may not get the same results from a modified aftermarket choke as the factory one you have. If I were in your shoes I would try a Beretta factory cylinder bore choke next. The slugs will like it and maybe the double ought will. You might also try Federal low recoil 00. It will be 9 pellet but may shoot better in your gun.
    If I mess with any other chokes I will stick with ones from Beretta. When I got home and got on Google I discovered the Federal #1 buck I have has been discontinued so next time I buy it will be Federal flite control 00 buck. Admittedly I haven't messed with a shotgun in quite a while so all the ammo I have has been sitting in a closet for a several years. I know slugs do better with looser chokes so I'll get one or two and do some experimenting.
    Last edited by SteveL; 12-03-19 at 15:31.
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast