Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking for thoughts on older MP15 vs new.

Feedback Score

Asking for thoughts on older MP15 vs new.

Around 2011 S&W dropped a lot of their quasi mil-spec A2 featured line of ARs, and offered melenite lined mid length gas system barrels. They also came out with the Sport with no dust cover or forward assist and R5 rifling. I know AR prices have slumped lately, but I just saw a used pre-2011 MP15 as described above, I think it was a MOE edition. The tag had $950, so I asked "why so high?" to the sells guy. He said they don't make them like that anymore. I have one myself and don't expect it to value nearly that high. I'm wondering if there is an interest in the older models, maybe MP15 fans believe they were made better?

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by scottcc View Post
    Around 2011 S&W dropped a lot of their quasi mil-spec A2 featured line of ARs, and offered melenite lined mid length gas system barrels. They also came out with the Sport with no dust cover or forward assist and R5 rifling. I know AR prices have slumped lately, but I just saw a used pre-2011 MP15 as described above, I think it was a MOE edition. The tag had $950, so I asked "why so high?" to the sells guy. He said they don't make them like that anymore. I have one myself and don't expect it to value nearly that high. I'm wondering if there is an interest in the older models, maybe MP15 fans believe they were made better?
    I have never seen anyone on this site refer to the S&W ARs as any better than midlevel quality but I have talked to a guy satisfied with his recent M&P purchase. I have never owned one (of any version) so I only have anecdotal knowledge about them.
    As for me, I see the $950 value as about $550 too high for a NIB early version. Your mileage may vary.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score

Asking for thoughts on older MP15 vs new.

My buddy has an old one that is surprisingly accurate for the price point. His son has a Sport 2. He said it’s not quite as accurate. IDK, just what I heard.
    Last edited by teksid; 11-29-19 at 06:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    I have never seen anyone on this site refer to the S&W ARs as any better than midlevel quality but I have talked to a guy satisfied with his recent M&P purchase. I have never owned one (of any version) so I only have anecdotal knowledge about them.
    As for me, I see the $950 value as about $550 too high for a NIB early version. Your mileage may vary.
    Wow, only $400? I was thinking around $600.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teksid View Post
    My buddy has an old one that is surprisingly accurate for the price point. His son has a Sport 2. He said it’s not quite as accurate. IDK, just what I heard.
    With a red dot, my chrome lined 1/9 barrel, using 173 ammo, has touching groups at 25 yards. I wish I could keep it that tight with open sights, which are about 1/4" apart.

Last edited by scottcc; 11-29-19 at 07:02.

Feedback Score
    I had one around the time they came out. It was the optics ready model 1/9 twist. It was a decent rifle never malfunctioned and was reasonably accurate. Ended up selling it and moving to BCM and SOLGW. But it isn’t worth what there asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    My M&P 15 sport II needed major mods by me before I could fully trust it. PSA is a wiser choice, because it passed Robski's 5,000 round test on AK47/74 Operator's Union on you tube.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I sold quite a few of the M&P15 mid-length MOE models back in the day as a dealer and most that I remember were very pleased with them. The barrels were 1/7 or 1/8 with 5R rifling and nitrided, and the complete gun was decked out with Magpul. The forged Magpul edition lower receiver was a cool touch too. I can't comment on things like gas port size, but I remember the BCG was FA, staked, chrome lined gas key, and at least MPI (unk HPT). Buffer was a carbine and I replaced a few with H buffers with good effect for a few customers. The several I've seen shot in classes held up well.

S&W now offers the MOE-SL mid-length which has updated Magpul furniture. The S&W website no longer indicates barrel twist or whether it has 5R rifling on the SL model. But as others have said with SOLGW and Sionics having some solid deals lately the M&P15s aren't nearly as attractive unless they're in the $500 range.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    The original M&P line was made by Stag, and they were really well done. Later production moved in-house and kind of went down hill as far as specific materials and QC procedures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast