Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire Socom Supressor Question

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Surefire Socom Supressor Question

Hi all,

Got my first suppressor the other day after the long wait for the tax stamp. I purchased the Surefire Socom Mini 2 7.62. I plan to first use this on my Spikes 300 Blackout 8.3” AR pistol.

The gun store salesman told me for this configuration I should not shoot anything but subsonic ammo no less than 200 grain. He said it would damage the can. I have 110 grain hornady soft tip ammo handy at the moment but I’d get more ammo if this isn’t advise able. What do you guys think? Is it still safe to shoot what I have? Unfortunately 300 AAC ammo is not cheap.

Feedback Score
    You shouldn't have an issue shooting supersonic ammo through the suppressor. You're not going to get the same sound reduction but it shouldn't damage the suppressor.

On a separate note my local Walmart had subsonic 300AAC on clearance, so you might want to check your local store out.

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/po...ic-suppressed/

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    Hi all,

Got my first suppressor the other day after the long wait for the tax stamp. I purchased the Surefire Socom Mini 2 7.62. I plan to first use this on my Spikes 300 Blackout 8.3” AR pistol.

The gun store salesman told me for this configuration I should not shoot anything but subsonic ammo no less than 200 grain. He said it would damage the can. I have 110 grain hornady soft tip ammo handy at the moment but I’d get more ammo if this isn’t advise able. What do you guys think? Is it still safe to shoot what I have? Unfortunately 300 AAC ammo is not cheap.
    That gun salesman is a retard. You aren't going to damage that can. Erosion of the blast baffle may be a little more accelerated on an 8" barrel shooting a lot of supersonic ammo but as far as "damaging" the can... no. If you're going to be shooting a lot of supersonic ammo and want to extend the life of the blast baffle you can run a Surefire Brake as the brake acts as a sort of sacrificial blast baffle. Down side to the brake is it's going to flashy and concussive when the can isn't on, however, if you think you'll be shooting suppressed most of the time it's a non issue. Also, 300blk was designed to burn most of its powder in a 9" barrel (even supersonic) so running a can on a can on an 8" 300blk isn't anywhere near even remotely the same as running the can on an 8" 7.62 NATO or 5.56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    The gun store salesman told me....

Famous last words.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you for clearing that up. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    He meant well but that can is about as overbuilt as they get. It is rated for full auto 308.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It never ceases to amaze me what rolls off the tongues of those many empowered by a name tag. Shoot the shit out of it, you will very unlikely ever kill that can before it breaks the bank.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep all the surefire cans are designed to shoot full auto supersonic and tracers. The socom series are very nice suppressors.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me what rolls off the tongues of those many empowered by a name tag. Shoot the shit out of it, you will very unlikely ever kill that can before it breaks the bank.

PB
    Luckily I didn’t spend any more money on ammo. He asked what I was shooting it with I told him my 8.3” 300 blackout pistol and he cringed when he said it. That’s why I always ask the very knowledgeable members of this forum first. Glad I did.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a socom rc, and socom mini, both 762. I only tried the RC with 300blk subs, but it was loud af. I just shot supers because it sounded about the same to me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast