Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele Ambidextrous Lower! 2020

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can add FCD/SOLGW to the list for 2020.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    What if I want to lock the bolt back without dropping the magazine?
    When would you want to do that and still need the time benefits of ambi? Genuinely curious.

I personally find the combined action to be faster when clearing malfunctions (which my time as a FoF roleplayers was extensive, as no one told me that Sims are best run with a dry gun). I like the manual of arms on my AX556 more than I do on my MARS-H.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 12-01-19 at 18:08.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Go on.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What if I want to lock the bolt back without dropping the magazine?
    Then you need to get another kind of ambi lower...

However, in what instance would you need this capability? I'm curious, as well. I can't think of an example.

Feedback Score
    Fixed mag?

The LMT ambi option is about a $400 premium over their standard lower. Who has the ambi with the lowest delta to a standard lower? That is what I want to see next.

The older I get the less I seem to need ambi, and the more guns I'd need to upgrade to stay consistent...
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 12-01-19 at 17:42.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The LMT ambi option is about a $400 premium over their standard lower. Who has the ambi with the lowest delta to a standard lower? That is what I want to see next.
    Street price on a stripped MARS-L is around 270 USD. Not cheap, but not as exorbitant a mark up as 400 USD. I believe ADM is also around that price, while Radian and MVB have a higher price at around 330 USD. LWRC does not sell stripped lowers.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    This is interesting...

For the record, I have nothing against Radian or their lower. They were the first ambi lower I knew about, but ended up with the LMT first; and once I really looked at it, I liked the LMT design more. I am not making the argument that Radian’s lower is not good or that their specific function might not itself have benefits. But if I list “truly ambidextrous” lowers, they aren’t on the list. Obviously everyone does not have to agree.

Feedback Score
    I am ignorant on HK, and I assume they do not make their mowers available separate from a complete firearm.
    Only as spare part, but generally you can use ambi parts from HK416A5/MR223A3 and put them into regular AR15 lower with minimal gunsmithing involved (you just need to cut slot for right side slide catch lever). However HK ambi upper and lower have some additional protrusions, to protect left side magazine release and both sides of bolt catch for accidental activation (for example buy bumping on gear while rifle is left on sling).
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks, Montrala.

Despite my pushing back a bit when Roger from FCD pointed out the concern with “enhanced” mag release buttons a while back, I’ve reconsidered his (and others’) wisdom. The protective ridges on the MARS-L lower is one reason I like them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't remember a push back lol

We discovered this during EMR (through hole mag release button) and EMR-C (blind hole mag release button) development. Even back when I was still at BAD, I didn't want a mag release button that would stick out of its protective fence. Development continued when I started FCD, and measured the "ramp" part of the mag catch, the part that engages the magazine's mag catch cutout, it's only 0.05 tall.

From the beginning, we put warning language on EMR-C's product description that its taller profile will stick out of the fence on 223 lowers, EMR-C is best used on 308 lowers where its taller profile does not protrude over a 308 lower's mag release fence. Folks continue to buy them for 223 lowers, so we moved EMR-C to the 308 AR section to discourage that. Folks like the continuous serrations look of the EMR-C, but looks should never override functions.

EMR (through hole) doesn't protrude over the mag release fence to be an accidental/unintended mag drop risk.

More on my thoughts here: https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...n_ep_69-1.html
    Last edited by Duffy; 12-03-19 at 10:38.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast