Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Viking Tactics VTAC Wide Hybrid Sling vs Blue Force Gear Vickers Padded Sling

Feedback Score
    Haven’t run the VTAC looks to busy to me, but I know plenty who have and still do. l run a BFG VCAS on my AK and love it. Easy to adjust, simple, and durable. Proctor PHD sling is good to go too if you really want to keep it minimal..
    don’t think there’s a wrong choice with either VTAC, VCAS, Slingster or the Proctor

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    VCAS, with metal hardware, is as good as I have seen any sling.
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 01-14-20 at 22:54.

Feedback Score
    I have seen less complicated animal traps. Guys, is your Gun-Fu really that good that you need to adjust your sling in nano-seconds BEFORE you take on the enemy? I do simple things under stress. For me just rolling the rifle out of African Carry and taking my right arm out is complicated enough.

So my question is which sling requires less training?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I have seen less complicated animal traps. Guys, is your Gun-Fu really that good that you need to adjust your sling in nano-seconds BEFORE you take on the enemy? I do simple things under stress. For me just rolling the rifle out of African Carry and taking my right arm out is complicated enough.

I'm confused by your post, but ok...

As a cop who often carries a duty rifle, adjusting my sling happens very often. Tightening it for transitions to secondary or to cuff suspects etc happens all the time. As a civilian who practices with my rifle often, I also adjust my sling often: tight to my body to carry it hands free, adjusting for use as a hasty sling, transition to secondary training, etc. It's as complicated as sliding the tab forward, or backward.

Does that answer your question?

Neither sling requires much training at all.... Buy the one you like the best, which for me is a padded VCAS with metal hardware and sewn in QD swivels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post

I’d say any of the major sling systems described above take the same amount of training... all use a loop, tab, or buckle to adjust when in “working mode”. Some more than other may have a more complex fit adjustment but that is of little concern when the rifle is in usage.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really like the VCAS and have used several on duty and personal rifles for the past six or seven years. I have both the padded and standard versions, including a couple with the sewn-in QD hardware. I find myself adjusting the length all the time - getting in and out of vehicles and helicopters, sitting down, walking on a patrol, etc. It’s easy and convenient.

My one minor complaint is that when using the padded version while wearing armor, the ends of the pad catch on the back of my vest, causing it to get hung up briefly and not slide smoothly as I’m maneuvering the rifle around. I stick with the non-padded version for duty use for that reason.
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 01-12-20 at 18:59.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In my opinion neither vcas or vtac is better. I have and use both interchangeably. I had intended to pick one and standardize on it but they are both high quality and very functional I decided to just keep and use both as I dont have any issues fumbling between them. That was quite sometime ago (over 10 yrs)

I didnt like the vcas as much at first, the material was a bit stiff and didnt adjust smoothly but after the webbing softened up a bit it worked great. Mine is unpadded with aluminum slide and I use it on my lighter carbine.

With vtac I started off with a usmc issued one my buddies brought back from OIF. It was also unpadded and the 1" material was too narrow and very twisty for going over the shoulder. I much prefered its operation being very use to the alice pack type adjusters.

I later picked up a padded version and it addressed every criticism I could level at it. The tail has a velcro/web clasp to keep itself stowed. I use it just barely held by the velcro so it can come free with a couple lbs of force if needed but it really just stays put and out of the way. I use it on my heavier carbine I also added a larger bit of gutted 550 cord on the adjuster and my hand has always been able to find it immediately.

I feel the talk of complication is exaggerated but some other criticisms are understandable. Still if I absolutely had to pick one it would be the padded Vtac. The only thing it truly does better IMHO is hold ajustment.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 01-12-20 at 20:39.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have used the padded versions of both and between the two I prefer the VTAC. I get that people don't like the dangling tail but I find the VTAC has much more utility because it has a much wider range of adjustment. I also don't like how stiff the VCAS material is.

Another sling I've tried out is the Magpul MS3 sling. If you want a sling without a dangling tail I recommend this one over the VCAS. It's a nice wide nylon, not as stiff as the VCAS, seems to me to have a wider range of adjustment, converts from 2 point to 1 point, and comes with all the QD hardware sewn in (assuming you want QD). It also costs less than a VCAS with QD hardware.
    Last edited by SteveL; 01-13-20 at 07:14.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've used VTACs for going on a decade now, either as an issue item or latter when I started buying my own padded versions. I'm up to at least three now. Not sure why anyone is saying they're complicated. They're great and pretty simple to use. The only issue I have with the ones I've purchased is the plastic hardware started breaking.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Having used and owned both VTAC and VCAS (also have WOTG and a few others, but not the Magpul slings):

VTAC: requires more training/practice with; slider is smoother/easier; straps are thinner/lighter and twist more easily (which I don't like); allows you to cinch tight enough to go hands on or climb in a way the VCAS likely won't; 2 diff pulls to tighten/loosen which requires a bit more thought and a lot more practice; requires more dexterity IMO

VCAS: simpler; the slider has a much more limited range of travel/adjustment but super easy under stress/training because you grab tab and pull in the direction you want; more idiot proof; like that the straps are thicker and heavier and don't twist as much which I like a lot

I prefer the padded version for both having owned the padded and unpadded VTAC and only the padded version of VCAS

I feel if I was professional/duty and trained all the time I'd prefer the VTAC, but I'm not and don't so I run the VCAS as it's more "me proof" overall.

I like the VCAS to be at the longest possible length matched with pulling my carbine up into my shoulder pocket with my support hand only and still having support from the sling(I run it fairly tight). If running it as a "necklace", I don't choke myself when shooting support side so it's long enough for my preference. At this length I can still pull the carbine in pretty tight to the chest with the VCAS.

I've watched people run the VCAS with a LOT more length than I would prefer and dislike the sling for not tightening enough. VTAC may be a better choice for them.

I've never owned or used the VCAS medic sling, but I feel like that would be the best sling I'd want; it is a VCAS with two sliders.
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 03-14-20 at 17:30.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast