Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Python

Feedback Score

Colt Python

Found this Python at the LGS, which is also my usual indoor shooting range. 4 inch stainless made in 1984. Very reasonable price nowadays. Swiss francs and US dollars are at parity.

Great shooter too

A bit dirty after 75 rounds

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It continues to boggle my mind that Colt does not reintroduce this handgun. I can't help but think it would be a big winner for them. If I ever buy a revolver again, it will be a full sized blued Python.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMagnussen View Post
    It continues to boggle my mind that Colt does not reintroduce this handgun. I can't help but think it would be a big winner for them. If I ever buy a revolver again, it will be a full sized blued Python.
    Because machines to build them are scrap. Those that knew how to build them are long retired or dead. And everyone will bitch the new one are somehow worse, just like they do with S&Ws

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ All of this.
    Got no one to build them, nothing to build them on.
    They’d be too expensive (if they could manufacture them) and quality would be suspect.

And a very nice revolver OP.

Feedback Score
    I already have a blued one, bought new in 1996, so a stainless makes for a nice pair

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    But those grips...my eyes, they hurt.

Feedback Score
    Sorry you don’t like them. Gun came new with Hogue rubber monogrip. I don’t like rubber for such a classic gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Because machines to build them are scrap. Those that knew how to build them are long retired or dead. And everyone will bitch the new one are somehow worse, just like they do with S&Ws
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^ All of this.
    They’d be too expensive (if they could manufacture them) and quality would be suspect.

Yep, even the new version of the Colt King Cobra left me highly unimpressed, especially for the $900+ price tag. This is why I have been slowly acquiring 1950's and early 60's Colt 357's, Colt Troopers, and early 80's Monson Manufactured Dan Wesson Model 15 357 revolvers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^ All of this.

I completely agree.

Isn't it fascinating, in a very worrisome way, that in just a few short decades we have lost the ability to make something which was once common? Our computers and CNC machines can't save us now!

It's not unlike the erosion of knowledge which led to the Dark Ages. Makes a person wonder...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    I completely agree.

Isn't it fascinating, in a very worrisome way, that in just a few short decades we have lost the ability to make something which was once common? Our computers and CNC machines can't save us now!

It's not unlike the erosion of knowledge which led to the Dark Ages. Makes a person wonder...
    The skill and knowledge to make these and others like them could be regained but it would be expensive. Is anyone willing to pay someone over a period of time to gain the skill necessary? Colt could introduce a reengineered Python and people would complain that it wasn't as good and didn't deserve the name. SIG brought to market a modern version of the P210 and there are people to complain that it isn't the same. It isn't but at the very least it is very good and affordable. If I were Colt I wouldn't do it. I wish Colt would get back in the civilian AR market.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast