Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Python

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    Is that something specific to the Python? I’m new to revolvers and have about 30rds out of my Cobra.
    It was present on the Pythons and anacondas. It did seem to me the King Cobras did it as well but it’s been so long since I shot one I don’t remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    It was present on the Pythons and anacondas. It did seem to me the King Cobras did it as well but it’s been so long since I shot one I don’t remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I believe it is due to Colt trigger return spring design. V-shape, dual purpose spring (hammer spring also IIRC) not a separate spring like S&W uses.
    Thanks guys, definitely something to keep in mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Read on another site that the crown defects were from the jig that secures on the barrel to perform the polishing process. They have since corrected this issue and secure by another way.

The above was paraphrased from Colt’s response the person posted.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Read on another site that the crown defects were from the jig that secures on the barrel to perform the polishing process. They have since corrected this issue and secure by another way.

The above was paraphrased from Colt’s response the person posted.
    Obviously it’s wishful thinking but I’d have to think they’re currently on the next run of revolvers which should be free (hopefully) of detects. Hopefully the Python I have on PO with Sportsman Outdoors doesn’t have issues.

Question is when will they hit stores or start shipping again?

Feedback Score
    Well I am a big fan of Python barrels, so much so that back in the day I had a Cougar built for me by Davis company.

So with the new Pythons here, I just put bids on a Ruger service 6 so I can build a 3 or 4 inch barreled one to go with my 6" Cougar

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What a disappointment, left it at the FFL. It is dinged and rough on workmanship for a $1500 pistol. If I have to pay the restocking fee, I will pay it to not have to buy this thing.

Ding on top of barrel shroud, crown looks like it was touched up with a dremal, the crane has a couple marks that look like something may have been stamped in there but the raised metal from the stamping has marred the frame. The milled portion in the bottom lug for the ejector rod still has metal shavings in it and look like it has chatter tool marks or the cylinder was closed with shavings in the groove. Just really can’t believe they sent it out like this. I compared it to a 686 and the 686 just seemed to have better fit and finish.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    What a disappointment, left it at the FFL. It is dinged and rough on workmanship for a $1500 pistol. If I have to pay the restocking fee, I will pay it to not have to buy this thing.

Ding on top of barrel shroud, crown looks like it was touched up with a dremal, the crane has a couple marks that look like something may have been stamped in there but the raised metal from the stamping has marred the frame. The milled portion in the bottom lug for the ejector rod still has metal shavings in it and look like it has chatter tool marks or the cylinder was closed with shavings in the groove. Just really can’t believe they sent it out like this. I compared it to a 686 and the 686 just seemed to have better fit and finish.
    Wow. When did you order yours? It seems as though they recalled the python from what I was told. This has to be one that came off the line prior to that recall I would hope. But your 100% right for sending it back or denying it. $1500 for the gun that’s inexcusable.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    Wow. When did you order yours? It seems as though they recalled the python from what I was told. This has to be one that came off the line prior to that recall I would hope. But your 100% right for sending it back or denying it. $1500 for the gun that’s inexcusable.
    Ordered it on 1/11/20 I think.
    It is a low serial number. In the mid 1400’s.

There was also an ever so slight amount of play in the grips to the frame. If you held the frame and rocked the grips, you could feel some play.

Update: The original FFL I purchased from is not being a lot of help and suggested I call Colt directly even though I have not completed the 4473. So I thought it is worth a shot. Amazingly I got through to Colt within 15min of being on hold and they said to go ahead and take ownership of it. They are sending me a RMA and a shipping label and said they will make it right. If they can’t repair it, they will replace it. Estimated a 6-8 week turn around.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 01-22-20 at 19:06.

Feedback Score
    Well I hope they make it what it should have been in the first place. Please keep us informed.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Well I hope they make it what it should have been in the first place. Please keep us informed.
    Colt received it on 2/3/20. Wait and see now.

Feel bad this thread has been hijacked with the 2020 Python debacle, but not sure the original thread hadn’t ran its course and don’t think it is really worth starting a new one.

Edit: reviewing some Python videos on YouTube and a Colt rep hinted at a return of the Anaconda. Hope they refine it before shipping.

Search SHOT Show 2020: Colt VP Showing The Colt Python, Talks About Issues.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 02-06-20 at 06:34.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast