Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can bobbing a hammer cause problems?

Feedback Score

Can bobbing a hammer cause problems?

Just curious.

Sometimes I see a revolver I want but wish the hammer was bobbed. (Charter .44 maybe) I think I could do it myself but dont want to create a light-strike or other problem.

Can it?
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-18-20 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    I bobbed the hammer of my Charter Arms undercover back in 1985. So far no issues. Also took one coil off of the mainspring. I just cut enough off so it would slide in and out of my pocket. Mine sits proud of the frame but I'm okay with that. It's a CA and I'm not worried about how it looks. I just need it to go bang. If you have a newer CA you can buy a bobbed hammer from their website.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In 1988, I bobbed the hammer on a S&W Model 60 and I haven't had any issues, including shooting ammunition with hard primers. The only issues I have seen over the years are when someone removes mass from the hammer and installs a hammer spring that is too light.

Don't remove any more material than need be if you decide to bob the hammer on your wheel gun. Try to get a look at one that has already been bobbed, so you have an idea of just how much material you can get away with removing. If you are not mechanically inclined, a good gunsmith should be able to bob a hammer without any problems.
    Last edited by T2C; 03-18-20 at 15:07.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Bobbing a DA revolver hammer will usually improve ignition reliability rather than degrade it. On the competition side I've seen hammers shaved down pretty thin. I've gone all the way down to 5# DAO with 100% reliability on Federal primers (firing pin work involved there) and 8# (stock firing pin profile, but polished tip) that was 100% reliable on anything, including Russian sourced heavy metal free primers.

If you're just wanting to remove the spur for a snag free draw you should be good to go.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Bobbing a DA revolver hammer will usually improve ignition reliability rather than degrade it. On the competition side I've seen hammers shaved down pretty thin. I've gone all the way down to 5# DAO with 100% reliability on Federal primers (firing pin work involved there) and 8# (stock firing pin profile, but polished tip) that was 100% reliable on anything, including Russian sourced heavy metal free primers.

If you're just wanting to remove the spur for a snag free draw you should be good to go.
    Yea, for that and greater comfort if carried AIWB. Such as the GP100 .44 I have back. Just something I've been kicking around.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Maybe grab an extra hammer just in case the bobbed one causes problems?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Maybe grab an extra hammer just in case the bobbed one causes problems?
    I considered that but they seem to be a "fitted" part.

Sounds like it wont cause any problems to remove and smooth the spur.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are on the fence maybe this?

https://www.leocombat.com/product/po...ammer-shrouds/

No idea if it works though.

I could have swore there used to be add on shrouds that would transform an exposed hammer in to a set up very similar to a S&W Bodyguard.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Yea, for that and greater comfort if carried AIWB. Such as the GP100 .44 I have back. Just something I've been kicking around.
    I've had a couple of GP's and you should have PLENTY of room to work on those without issue.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast