Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Colt Python

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0

    Colt Python

    Found this Python at the LGS, which is also my usual indoor shooting range. 4 inch stainless made in 1984. Very reasonable price nowadays. Swiss francs and US dollars are at parity.







    Great shooter too



    A bit dirty after 75 rounds




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    124
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It continues to boggle my mind that Colt does not reintroduce this handgun. I can't help but think it would be a big winner for them. If I ever buy a revolver again, it will be a full sized blued Python.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    3,664
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMagnussen View Post
    It continues to boggle my mind that Colt does not reintroduce this handgun. I can't help but think it would be a big winner for them. If I ever buy a revolver again, it will be a full sized blued Python.
    Because machines to build them are scrap. Those that knew how to build them are long retired or dead. And everyone will bitch the new one are somehow worse, just like they do with S&Ws

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,455
    Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    ^^ All of this.
    Got no one to build them, nothing to build them on.
    They’d be too expensive (if they could manufacture them) and quality would be suspect.

    And a very nice revolver OP.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    I already have a blued one, bought new in 1996, so a stainless makes for a nice pair


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    124
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    But those grips...my eyes, they hurt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sorry you donít like them. Gun came new with Hogue rubber monogrip. I donít like rubber for such a classic gun.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,152
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Because machines to build them are scrap. Those that knew how to build them are long retired or dead. And everyone will bitch the new one are somehow worse, just like they do with S&Ws
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^ All of this.
    Got no one to build them, nothing to build them on.
    They’d be too expensive (if they could manufacture them) and quality would be suspect.

    And a very nice revolver OP.
    Yep, even the new version of the Colt King Cobra left me highly unimpressed, especially for the $900+ price tag. This is why I have been slowly acquiring 1950's and early 60's Colt 357's, Colt Troopers, and early 80's Monson Manufactured Dan Wesson Model 15 357 revolvers.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    142
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^ All of this.
    Got no one to build them, nothing to build them on.
    They’d be too expensive (if they could manufacture them) and quality would be suspect.

    And a very nice revolver OP.
    I completely agree.

    Isn't it fascinating, in a very worrisome way, that in just a few short decades we have lost the ability to make something which was once common? Our computers and CNC machines can't save us now!

    It's not unlike the erosion of knowledge which led to the Dark Ages. Makes a person wonder...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    In exile
    Posts
    389
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    I completely agree.

    Isn't it fascinating, in a very worrisome way, that in just a few short decades we have lost the ability to make something which was once common? Our computers and CNC machines can't save us now!

    It's not unlike the erosion of knowledge which led to the Dark Ages. Makes a person wonder...
    The skill and knowledge to make these and others like them could be regained but it would be expensive. Is anyone willing to pay someone over a period of time to gain the skill necessary? Colt could introduce a reengineered Python and people would complain that it wasn't as good and didn't deserve the name. SIG brought to market a modern version of the P210 and there are people to complain that it isn't the same. It isn't but at the very least it is very good and affordable. If I were Colt I wouldn't do it. I wish Colt would get back in the civilian AR market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •