Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Python

Feedback Score
    I'm old enough to remember when Pythons were common in gunshops. They were famous for smooth action, but had a long lock time. The vent-rib barrel and smooth curves made them a handsome pistol.
    Their reputation was that a steady diet of magnums wasn't good.
    Anxious to handle one, but doubtful I'll buy. But it's good to see a revo revival, even if the methods are different.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Looks like the 2020 must have hit the market, gunbroker has plenty of them now. Still stupid money and I will wait until supply/demand moves price closer to MSRP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    ...The action on the new Python sounds identical to the older ones. That is promising...
    Interesting -- how so? Colt is specifically marketing the new Python as having a different action -- fewer parts and therefore (it's implied) simpler, more robust and with the old Python's infamous stacking dialed out.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankstrap View Post
    Interesting -- how so? Colt is specifically marketing the new Python as having a different action -- fewer parts and therefore (it's implied) simpler, more robust and with the old Python's infamous stacking dialed out.
    Why do I think it sounds the same or that it is promising?

I think they sound alike comparing my own experience shooting my Python and listening to the action.

I was not aware Colt was marketing it as a different action, so with the sound being similar I am/was expecting the action to be close to the original.

Mine is a shooter, not a high round count but still a shooter. I have put a few 357 magnum rounds through it, but mostly 158gr with a little bullseye behind it and no timing issues as of yet. But I baby it by slow draws on the hammer to SA as not to roll the cylinder excessively fast. Hell, I even pull the cylinder latch back so it does not get scratched when closing the cylinder.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have several random thoughts on the new Python:
    1) Glad to see Colt still in business.
    2) Maybe they can develop a totally new product someday? Something they can hang their hat on for a few decades..
    3) I am happy that the new Python looks like the old one and that there is another competitor in the medium magnum revolver field.
    4) I can't wait to see one at my LGS but I won't be buying, my revolver needs are filled at the moment.
    5) MIM done right is quite good, witness the Colt MIM sear in the government model. My example of one, much abused Colt .38 SA still has it's original fire control parts and the trigger has gotten quite nice.
    I am genuinely happy to see Colt do this and I wish them prosperity going forward. Now Colt, get back in the civvy AR 15 market dang it !!
    Last edited by 1986s4; 01-06-20 at 12:28.

Feedback Score
    1986s4, well stated on all counts. Colt has a history of trouble when thinking outside its box.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a blued Python.

I’m getting a stainless 4” and a 6”. Oh yeah. My body is ready.

Feedback Score
    I have a Blued 6", i would much rather have a 6" stainless. Thinking about snagging one of the new ones after the price comes down a little bit.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn’t mind a new 4.25” bbl Python myself if they prove to be worth the coin. I’ll let others beta test them for a bit first.

I like shooting DA revolvers, and as a reloader, it will be nice to be able to take a 5 gallon bucket to the range with me and easily dump all my brass into it immediately. Saving me from the work of policing up brass all over the right side of my lane after I’m done.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 01-09-20 at 00:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a reloader I get it... Not having your brass all over the range is so nice. But the revolver is a bit of a disadvantage in two gun matches so it's the auto loader for now. Back to the Python, I haven't seen one yet but if it works as good as it looks I would have one were it not for the fact I have a really nice S&W 686-1 set up just right for IDPA revolver div.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast