Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal Process for Building my own suppressor ??

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Legal Process for Building my own suppressor ??

So, as the title suggest, I want to know what I need to do to legally build a can and plan to use my trust.
    What Engraving do I need to get done on the can? Same as my SBR's?
    When do I send in what paperwork?

Any tips advice etc, is greatly appreciated.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dont you need a form 1 to manufacture a nfa item? Pretty sure its the same info as would be needed for a sbr.
    Last edited by chef8489; 12-01-19 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is my understanding that it is similar to a Form 1 SBR, the only real difference being that you will assign a serial number rather than using the existing one. You would have to pick a length and caliber when you do the form. I suppose if that changes you could always send them a letter, much the way you can with barrel length and SBR's. You need the stamp in hand before you start. Engraving used to have to be on the tube, now apparently it can be on the mount end. Apparently suppressor parts are now considered suppressors so I would avoid the temptation to make extra baffles. Extra end caps, mounts, pistons, etc are apparently ok, but there was a recent post somewhere that baffle wipes are considered "suppressors."

I hope to be doing my first form 1 can soon as well. I don't know how involved you plan to get but there are companies out there that sell most of the needed parts with little if any machining needed. My dealer has done a few for himself and suggested that the internal volume of the can will have the most impact on sound reduction. Baffle design was secondary, at least in his experience.
    nothing screams napoleonic warfare more than cannons roaring in the background

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks guys, anybody else. Im all EARS! Really don't want to **** this up.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I have put together a few form one suppressors. I’ve used apogee products tubes for all of them. One is an over the barrel style suppressor with 11 freeze plug baffles that I formed to about 50 degrees. The other two are end of the barrel and use griffin taper mounts. One of those uses 6 formed freeze plugs and the other has five z machine works 60 degree cones.
    Overall the OTB is the quietest but it’s also the heaviest. The next is the short one with freeze plugs then the short one with cones. So from my small sample the more baffles the better the suppression.
    As far as paperwork the e forms are the way to go the two I did came back within a month. (Times might have changed since then)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Did you engrave the tube before or after stamp?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I engraved afterwards. I used a Dremel tool and it does not look very good but it was easy to do and I was able to do it all myself.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We went with the Superprecisionconcepts (I think) kit. It's a 1.5" diameter all Titanium can. It'll have 5 baffles. I'll get some pics up as I get them. We're waiting for the stamp before doing any drilling, but I cut the spacers segments, and assembled what will be the can.

It weighs 11.1 oz prior to drilling out the end cap and baffles.

It's hard to map out the build until you get the parts in front of you. So we had to order another section of spacer titanium. Total into the can is about $500... so It's nearly as much as buying a can, but it's really the fun of doing your own build.
    Last edited by markm; 03-02-20 at 15:34.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Very interested to see the final product and read how you think it sounds compared to those made by the ‘big boys’.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We went with the Superprecisionconcepts (I think) kit. It's a 1.5" diameter all Titanium can. It'll have 5 baffles. I'll get some pics up as I get them. We're waiting for the stamp before doing any drilling, but I cut the spacers segments, and assembled what will be the can.

It weighs 11.1 oz prior to drilling out the end cap and baffles.

It's hard to map out the build until you get the parts in front of you. So we had to order another section of spacer titanium. Total into the can is about $500... so It's nearly as much as buying a can, but it's really the fun of doing your own build.
    I did a ton of reading and youtube watching on this recently. It seems a pretty straightforward process. What caliber are you going with and what amount of overbore?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast