Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal Process for Building my own suppressor ??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    How did you decide on the specs of your can in regards to length, O.D. and number of baffles? I see it going to be a .30 caliber can- I assume you'll use it up to .300 Winchester?
    I bought the longest practical tube they offered. 7.0 inches. I think there's a 9.0, but this is already the size of most of our other full size cans. After that, I just spaced the baffles apart to approximate the same stuff we see in most other cans (which turned out to be 1" spacers with a 1/2" spacer behind the endcap which takes up a 1/2 inch of the tube due to threading.

That left me 5 baffles with a modest blast chamber. The nice thing is if it seems too loud, I can pull it apart and re-configure. But it pretty well mimics most layouts I've seen. (except for Sig who uses as many baffles as there are pages in a phone book.

And, Yes. It will be fired on 300 win mag, but probably will get used on 6.5 Prius (creedmore).

I'll try to post pics of the stack, but when it's not in the main tube it's like herding kittens to get them to stay in place for a photo.
    Last edited by markm; 03-04-20 at 11:37.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I bought the longest practical tube they offered. 7.0 inches. I think there's a 9.0, but this is already the size of most of our other full size cans. After that, I just spaced the baffles apart to approximate the same stuff we see in most other cans (which turned out to be 1" spacers with a 1/2" spacer behind the endcap which takes up a 1/2 inch of the tube due to threading.

That left me 5 baffles with a modest blast chamber. The nice thing is if it seems too loud, I can pull it apart and re-configure. But it pretty well mimics most layouts I've seen. (except for Sig who uses as many baffles as there are pages in a phone book.

And, Yes. It will be fired on 300 win mag, but probably will get used on 6.5 Prius (creedmore).

I'll try to post pics of the stack, but when it's not in the main tube it's like herding kittens to get them to stay in place for a photo.
    Mark, thanks for all the info.
    Sorry if I missed it but will this be direct thread or will it be able to use an existing QD system that you guys are already using? Such as the ASR, or compatible?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's a direct thread. SDtactical used to sell a kit that used a mount but it was proprietary to the kit as far as I could tell.

For bolt guns, we've really grown to be fans of direct thread. The mount systems are always much harder to get off for stowing long barreled bolt guns at the end of the shoot. Especially with those mirage covers on the can.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Legal Process for Building my own suppressor ??

Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    Intrigued to see how this works out. I know that the cost will be comparable to a purchased can, but the allure of the "do it yourself" work is quite neat. Also, the fact that you're the manufacturer should make repair significantly easier should you need to change anything.
    Problem with that is ATF has said you can’t have spare parts (baffles, wipes) other than end caps and mounts and an SOT has to be the one to do the repairs, so you yourself cannot.

Now all of that is retarded and IRL doesn’t stop anyone from anything but yea.

The F1 stuff that’s coming out as of late is great imo and you can definitely put together a high quality can with just a Ti tube and good 60* cups. besides chasing decibels is a fools errand.

Folks seem to get lost on all the spacing and design stuff but by all accounts equal distance spacing and skirted cups work fine for most any rifle caliber build.

Biggest obstacle is that not everyone is on the same goddam page when it comes to tube threading and ID/OD specs. So you have to shop around. Things seem to be coalescing around 1.355 OD cups and ASR 1.375x24TPI pattern mounts though. End cap threads are still a mixed bag. SDTA tubes are the most readily available but still use the old D tube thread spec which is gay, but adapters exist from muted machine.

In short ASR mount tubes and skirted 1.355 60* cups are what you want. Bonus if the tube has the integrated 2” blast chamber machines into it. Booster and 3 lug ASR pattern mounts are coming online from a few places too so you can conceivably put one together to run on near anything with the right bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 03-04-20 at 17:12.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    besides chasing decibels is a fools errand.
    Biggest obstacle is that not everyone is on the same goddam page when it comes to tube threading and ID/OD specs. So you have to shop around. Things seem to be coalescing around 1.355 OD cups and ASR 1.375x24TPI pattern mounts though. End cap threads are still a mixed bag. SDTA tubes are the most readily available but still use the old D tube thread spec which is gay, but adapters exist from muted machine.
    No joke. I had a hell of a time picking out components for this build because they sell the "D cell" size too.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No joke. I had a hell of a time picking out components for this build because they sell the "D cell" size too.
    Then everyone wants to act like a prima-donna and act like their shit is proprietary, like gtfoh you junior machinist wannabe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Then everyone wants to act like a prima-donna and act like their shit is proprietary, like gtfoh you junior machinist wannabe.
    I ended up buying everything correctly, but their spacer tube was way too short unless I ran 25 baffles. So we got another spacer piece and a few other parts. Overall not a bad program, and you have plenty of time while you wait for the stamp to plan out the layout of the can and engraving, etc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here's the side shot. I left a few thowie in the blast spacer in case the stack compresses when fired. Shouldn't... but just in case.

here's the first baffle with the dimple they have to make drilling easier.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest trying 8 baffles vs 5 before “completing” it if possible. I believe you would see significant sound reduction.

I feel like performance/size/weight, you could go shorter with 5 or same length with 8 and get benefits either way.

Interesting thread... im think of doing a 9mm subgun can with this stuff.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We'd have to order more baffles... which isn't out of the question.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast