Thread: First Post

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

First Post

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have learned a lot about the AR platform since joining, and I finally picked up a rifle this weekend. I had planned on getting a Noveske N4 low profile, but with things the way they are, I picked up a used Bushmaster Varminter with a 24" barrel, with the intent on building a nicer upper in the future.

I am excited about the long barrel for now, but it has no sights so I need to get optics.
    It seems an ACOG would be ill fitted for a longer barreled gun, but I know nothing about the vast selection of optics for rifles.

Ideally I'll pick up a ACOG for the 16" upper when the time comes, so I would like to focus on learning how to shoot distance.

What are some of the preferred brands? What size scope would be appropriate for a novice on a 24" barrel?

Feedback Score
    Welcome to M4C First off--

1) What are you thinking of spending for a new optic and mount/rings?

2) What do you see yourself doing with your new "toy"?

3) Steve over at ADCO does a great job cutting down 24in brls to something more "managable". If at some point your rifle starts getting to be a bit much give him a call. Cheers.
    Familiarity breeds contempt -- and children.

Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd say from $500-$700.

For now I'd like to hone down some skills at the range and become a better shooter, I'd like to get a quality piece, but I don't need something out of my own range or the .223.

Feedback Score
    A Super Sniper fixed 10X from SWFA is a good solid optic that wont break the bank. Get a LaRue mount for it and you will be on the low side of your limit. Or you may consider going to LaRue Tacticals website and look at their Trijicon AccuPoint/combos. There are a lot of ways you could go with this. Quality doesnt come cheap but it doesnt have to wreak your wallet, either.
    Familiarity breeds contempt -- and children.

Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Welcome!

I was actually going to suggest getting it cut to 20" also. From what I've read over the years, 24" doesn't really gain you too much.

What are you going to be doing with this rifle? Lobotomizing prairie dogs at 600yds with varmint loads or just plinking at 100yds? Nothing wrong with plinking btw.

I'd suggest that if you are going to be limited to under 200yds or so, you could get a pretty nice ACOG for $700. My dad just got a TA31F for $700, only a year old.

It's kinda low powered at 4x for what you'd think a 24" barrel should do, but I'm not sure what people get out of those 24" BM so I can't say.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    I personally wouldn't spend a dime chopping the barrel down, for what it sounds like you are using it for you wont see any benefits. The money would be better spent on; building the upper you want, practice ammo, or a better optic.

For scopes, you could look into a used scope/mount combo with maybe a leupold varx-III , mk4 or older tactical model on top of a quality mount. Nikon monarch scopes are also good pieces of glass that offer great performance at reasonable prices. Some other names to consider would be Pentax, or Burris. I would get something in a 3-12 or 4-16 power that should cover all the distances you would use.

Once again don't overlook good used optics they are a bargain for what you get.
    Last edited by ErikL; 11-19-08 at 07:46. Reason: Not everyone reads and understands caveman.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Welcome!
    Thanks!

What are you going to be doing with this rifle? Lobotomizing prairie dogs at 600yds with varmint loads? .
    I hadn't planned on that until now.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikL View Post
    I personally wouldn't spend a dime chopping the barrel down, for what it sounds like you are using it for you wont see any benefits. The money would be better spent on; building the upper you want, practice ammo, or a better optic.

For scopes you could look into used scope combo and come in around your price range and get a leupold varx-III or maybe be close to a mk4 or older tactical model. Nikon monarch scopes are also great pieces of glass that offer great performance at reasonable prices. Some other names to consider would be Pentax, or Burris. I would get something in a 3-12 or 4-16 power that should cover all the distances you would use.

Once again don't overlook good used optics they are a bargain for what you get.
    This is some of the stuff I've come across in the past 24 hours. I like the leupold stuff a lot and seems to be the way to go. Is there any good sites besides ebay to stumble across used scopes?
    Last edited by idreamt...; 11-19-08 at 00:40.

Feedback Score
    http://www.samplelist.com/

Also, look for that bit where people are getting a lot of money off new optics via the Windows Live thingy... should be a thread around somewhere.