Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock 17 still relevant?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Sight radius doesn’t make a pistol more accurate. And in many cases, sight radius doesn’t make one more shootable, though that’s been the argument for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True but then there’s this.

Ever shoot a base M4 with irons and it does okay. Then you get an M16 and its like “whoa that gives me a much nicer sight picture”?

Like, I am a believer in Dawsons because they are thin and not so obtrusive.

I’m a believer in being comfortable. If I didn’t want to be comfortable, I’d get an AK or something

It’s not so dramatic with G17 vs G19 but G34 really does add that radius that seems more comfortable.

If you are doing RMR only then it doesn’t matter

Feedback Score
    Wasn’t it Kd4 that tested the performance difference in an M4 length radius vs rifle length radius?

And there’s always changing sights. I can’t tell much difference between the 17 and 19 at all in terms of sight radius. The 34 seems to return slower and flips higher for me. Sight picture has always been less of a concern for me than sight tracking. That seems to be where the 19 shines for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If you are a believer in being comfortable, then would have answered your own question about the 17 being relevant.

I am also a believer of comfort. I also believe in having the biggest gun to do the job. After 12-14 hours in a truck down 20 year old tote roads, rocky inclines and field bombing. or all day in a tiny ass boat. I noticed the longer slide of the 34 sucks. always pushed up on the holster and ends up pressing the duty belt into your stomach. The 17 is the sweet spot. I like the idea of the 19X. But i want the longest sight radius and added velocity i can get. I also agree the 19 fits the role of CCW and Duty. (its what i carry when not out in the field). But i feel way better have the 17. And the 17 has better balance with my TLR-1 on it.

Feedback Score
    Couple the 17 slide with a Polymer 80 frame and the comfort level is even better 😎

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Interesting read...... Im probably one of the few that prefer the 17. For some reason the grip for me is better , and I do better on follow up shots than with the 19. Could be my own skill or lack there of. But feel the added weight helps with my follow up. Im a smaller woman , so my large frames( G17 , 21 and fnx45 ) are carried in my maxpedition "purse" , so not worried about a footprint when CCing. but do understand it being a problem for us smaller framed people. I carry the 43 on my body , and my big boys in the purse

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PenderMedic View Post
    Interesting read...... Im probably one of the few that prefer the 17. For some reason the grip for me is better , and I do better on follow up shots than with the 19. Could be my own skill or lack there of. But feel the added weight helps with my follow up. Im a smaller woman , so my large frames( G17 , 21 and fnx45 ) are carried in my maxpedition "purse" , so not worried about a footprint when CCing. but do understand it being a problem for us smaller framed people. I carry the 43 on my body , and my big boys in the purse
    I think there’s some merit to this perspective. A pistol can be alternately too heavy or too light relative to the user. Sometimes weight can make a difference.

Being that you are smaller statured and female; would you ever consider a G48?

I’m very very large in stature. But I kinda like the G48 as it is essentially Glock’s take on the S&W Model 39. A single stack 9mm. It’d be more of a toy or a hand off. Slight drift, but I kinda want one.

Overall a G17 grip gives me a little more real estate for my hand but I figure if I am going there; I may as well get more slide too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I competed with a Glock 34 for one year. I learned that I was faster and just as accurate shooting a Glock 17, so I sold the Glock 34.

I carried a Glock 23 at work for several years. For carry, I prefer the Glock 19 over the Glock 17.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I competed with a Glock 34 for one year. I learned that I was faster and just as accurate shooting a Glock 17, so I sold the Glock 34.

I carried a Glock 23 at work for several years. For carry, I prefer the Glock 19 over the Glock 17.
    IPSC or PPC?

I did G34 before I got my slicked out Model 10 for PPC. I started out G17 but did better with G34 for IPSC.

Like I’m not trying to be contrary but I guess it comes down to build and proclivity.

Maybe you were more used to G17?

I’m interested in knowing more.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I think there’s some merit to this perspective. A pistol can be alternately too heavy or too light relative to the user. Sometimes weight can make a difference.

Being that you are smaller statured and female; would you ever consider a G48?

I’m very very large in stature. But I kinda like the G48 as it is essentially Glock’s take on the S&W Model 39. A single stack 9mm. It’d be more of a toy or a hand off. Slight drift, but I kinda want one.

Overall a G17 grip gives me a little more real estate for my hand but I figure if I am going there; I may as well get more slide too.
    Havent tried the 48 actually... But ironically , smaller woman, maybe slightly above average hand sized compared to most ladies, but im firing better with larger grips...one of the guys I was training with was shocked that I was better with 17 than 19, better with 21 than the 17 ,and better with the FNX45 than the 21. Two handed shooting also, can not claim this with one handed shooting,( which I need to practice more). Honestly think with thinner grips I have a tendency torqueing my wrist to one side or the other, because im always right or left of center on targets, seems to eliminate this with the thicker grips. May sound stupid, but seems to work for me.Worst gun for me on consistency has always been the 1911,and I think its the grip profile for me honestly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PenderMedic View Post
    Havent tried the 48 actually... But ironically , smaller woman, maybe slightly above average hand sized compared to most ladies, but im firing better with larger grips...one of the guys I was training with was shocked that I was better with 17 than 19, better with 21 than the 17 ,and better with the FNX45 than the 21. Two handed shooting also, can not claim this with one handed shooting,( which I need to practice more). Honestly think with thinner grips I have a tendency torqueing my wrist to one side or the other, because im always right or left of center on targets, seems to eliminate this with the thicker grips. May sound stupid, but seems to work for me.Worst gun for me on consistency has always been the 1911,and I think its the grip profile for me honestly.

Actually no, it kinda does make sense. My hands are larger and longer but if I were a normal sized male; they’d be considered rather unremarkable. Some guys have hands like the Dwarves from Lord of the Rings all meaty and big.

That was, when I was young and first formally trained on a pistol a bad habit of mine as well was twisting. Like I was still a teenager and kinda gangly. It was super hard to break myself of.

So I kinda see what you mean. I didn’t like 1911s until later like mid 20s. Didn’t hate then but didn’t like them.

First gun I was taught to use was the Smith 4586 and it was kinda hard to master until I got hogue overmolds to make it fatter.

You know I almost want to ask about G45 even though I don’t really want to like them.

I appreciate this perspective. I hadn’t considered it.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast