Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock 17 still relevant?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    IPSC or PPC?

I did G34 before I got my slicked out Model 10 for PPC. I started out G17 but did better with G34 for IPSC.

Like I’m not trying to be contrary but I guess it comes down to build and proclivity.

Maybe you were more used to G17?

I’m interested in knowing more.
    USPSA. It took longer for me to unholster the G34 and present it to the target. Follow up shots were faster with the Glock 17. When shooting a USPSA stage or PPC where 25 yard accuracy was important, I did not see a difference in group sizes.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    USPSA. It took longer for me to unholster the G34 and present it to the target. Follow up shots were faster with the Glock 17. When shooting a USPSA stage or PPC where 25 yard accuracy was important, I did not see a difference in group sizes.
    How much faster?

Group sizes don’t matter. Scores matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    How much faster?

This. IPSC is very gamer oriented focusing on speed.

Hmm...

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    This. IPSC is very gamer oriented focusing on speed.

Hmm...
    Very true,but in USPSA the CZ is the Top pick,,and Glock is down the list a little. In IDPA Glock is top billing and others follow suit,now this is in "Production" Class.

Feedback Score
    Interesting point regarding relevance of G17 compared to the 19 & 34. I've become a minimalist in terms of firearms, selling almost all my guns except for two G19's, and a 6920.
    When contemplating which handguns to sell, the HK and CZ were the first to go followed by 2 G17's, plus a .308 LMT I rarely used and had no need for, the 870 also went, sg's being cumbersome and of no utility to me. So for me two G19's fill my needs quite well.

Feedback Score
    Interesting point regarding relevance of G17 compared to the 19 & 34. I've become a minimalist in terms of firearms, selling almost all my guns except for two G19's, and a 6920.
    When contemplating which handguns to sell, the HK and CZ were the first to go followed by 2 G17's, plus a .308 LMT I rarely used and had no need for, the 870 also went, sg's being cumbersome and of no utility to me. So for me two G19's fill my needs quite well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    How much faster?

My el Presidente hit factor with a G17 was .4 to .6 better than the hit factor with a G34. This was due to me frequently overrunning targets during transitions. This was less of an issue on a USPSA stage with targets less than 5 yards away.

If we had a long range USPSA stage, with targets at distances of over 25 yards, at a club match, I was able to shoot faster and more accurately with the G17. At a PPC match I did not have to work as hard to hold the 10 Ring at 25 yards with the G17.

I shot matches to supplement my training and group sizes were more important to me than scores.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    My el Presidente hit factor with a G17 was .4 to .6 better than the hit factor with a G34. This was due to me frequently overrunning targets during transitions. This was less of an issue on a USPSA stage with targets less than 5 yards away.

If we had a long range USPSA stage, with targets at distances of over 25 yards, at a club match, I was able to shoot faster and more accurately with the G17. At a PPC match I did not have to work as hard to hold the 10 Ring at 25 yards with the G17.

I shot matches to supplement my training and group sizes were more important to me than scores.
    That is pretty interesting and well reasoned. I caught the IPSC bug for similar reasons years ago. It’s very gamer oriented and not that good per real scenarios. I had an old Gen 1 Glock 17 during my heyday and thought the G34 made things a bit better.

I did PPC with a G21 and 185 SWC like a madlad years ago. Mainly because it’s what I carried. When I cared more about points I went G34. Then Model 10 with the match barrel. But at that point you don’t carry such a gun for work. You are just points farming.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I prefer my G19 vs the G17 ...both are Gen 4s...

I just shoot the 19 a lot more and carry it... The G17 was shot once and put into the safe...matter of fact I have it for sale in another forum..

The 17 is not a bad gun at all but the 19 fits my needs more..

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I considered most of your points before I bought my 17.5 (non-MOS) instead of a 34.5. I wound up with the 17, but I can't dispute any of your observations. If I still had need for a duty gun, a 17 slide on a 19.5 frame would've been the ticket for me. As it was, I carried a 19 because it was the best compromise. I still cling to the notion that I need a "house" gun, which for me is a 17.5 with a 19X 19 round mag. No real reason for it, just my preference.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast