Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock 17 still relevant?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Given G19X/G45, I see no benefit in buying or maintaining any G17s. Am currently transitioning a couple of places from G17 to G45, and a couple more will do the same at their next scheduled transition. There's still a place and high demand for the G19, but 43X has siphoned off some users, both CCW and professionally armed/LEOs.

The G19 can actually be a bigger gun than the G17 for many users. Esp in gen5 form. Think about why, and what's different.

Re: sight radius- It's not the thing people think it is, and is a moot point with smart sight choice. Esp when the difference is as small as with G17 v G19.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Given G19X/G45, I see no benefit in buying or maintaining any G17s. Am currently transitioning a couple of places from G17 to G45, and a couple more will do the same at their next scheduled transition. There's still a place and high demand for the G19, but 43X has siphoned off some users, both CCW and professionally armed/LEOs.

The G19 can actually be a bigger gun than the G17 for many users. Esp in gen5 form. Think about why, and what's different.

Re: sight radius- It's not the thing people think it is, and is a moot point with smart sight choice. Esp when the difference is as small as with G17 v G19.
    I can’t disagree but really like for me, I do like the radius on a G34. It’s not like a 17L(I have two and they are toys. Fun toys but toys). I mean with Dawsons they have that same 1911 style which is forgiving on PPC matches.

But totally agreed on radius of 17/19. It’s not even a thing. Especially with Dawsons. Dawsons were the best investment I made.

Feedback Score
    The Glock 17 sorta fits in the family group with the Beretta 92, SIG P226, CZ 75, P30L, and other similarly sized guns. Today's market trends are clearly on the side of compact/subcompact guns, but new full-size guns occasionally appear (CZ P-09 and P-10F, for example). The 1911 is kind of in it's own universe.

I have a P226 on layaway, so I guess I just like the larger guns (for no particular reason).

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    For me it's duty use and because they told me so. Midsize 19s are not allowed for primary duty carry. I started carrying 21/17s before WMLs were authorized so length was an issue. After X200/300s I could have switched over to a 34 but did not.

So I guess I cannot argue Firefly's points except that I have decades of duty use, training, and tens of thousands of rounds down G17s so for me switching to anything else now is a low priority. My trusty G17/X300U combo still makes me happy in hand when clearing Kydex.

For anyone new or ready to switch I can see the benefits of both the G19X/G45 and G34.

I definitely do not agree with 15rd duty mags when you can have 17 instead!

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 12-01-19 at 22:00.

Feedback Score
    I've owned a G17 for quite a while and got it because of the capacity (new to Glocks at the time). I feel it can fall into a variety of roles but none really well.

Competition-wise, I'd use a G34. While a G17 would work, take it a step further and you have a G34.

Concealed carry isn't comfortable with it unless it's jacket weather and I'm rocking an OWB. Take it a bit further down that path and you're in G19 territory.

I'm gravitating towards a G19 for my everyday-everything. Capacity between the G17 and G19 is all of 2 rounds. A reload can be a G17 mag. The size in relation to the capacity and the fact my hands can reload it without getting bit by it, I agree it's the best of all worlds without going to far one way or the other. Still dunno what to make of the Gen 5 stuff as I'm one of those oddballs that likes the finger grooves on my Gen 4's.

What I still can't wrap my head around is a guy at the LGS chopped a G34's grip to accept G26 mags and carries it IWB. To each their own but damn.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I was recently given a choice between the G19 and G47 (17-sized). I chose the 47 due to the additional magazine capacity and because I don’t mind a full-size gun for duty carry. I’ll also receive a G26 so concealed carry is covered- if I were only receiving one handgun I would’ve gone with the 19 to cover all bases. The 47 has a shortened frame so that a 19-length slide may be placed on top. I am looking forward to trying this combination with a WML.

ETA: I feel that some, if not many, agencies are leery of competition guns being used for duty carry, e.g. the G34.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 12-01-19 at 20:23.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    - Fuller grip (vs the 19) gives better control. I don't see too many performance oriented shooters try to win something with the 19.
    - Marginal increase in reliability with longer slides.
    - Better sight radius over the 19, easier to conceal than 34.
    - Marginal increase in velocity with longer slides. Probably more relevant for competition.
    - I know numerous people who like how 17 cycles over 34.

G17 was an only full sized service 9 mm option in their lineup. With Glock creating a number of other full grip options and removing the cut out on 34, these options are now broadened but i don't think that 17 has lost its relevance in duty world.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Actually some folks use the G34 quite a bit. It’s only a “competition” gun because the 17L was deemed illegal. The whole design of the gun was to replicate a Govt profile vis a vis a 1911.

Like it plays soooo well with an X300.

Per G47s, it certainly activates my almonds. I’m hoping it gets obtainable because a 17 sized gun I could configure to a G45 would be the answer to a niche if that works like that.

See, I would rather get an RMR on something like that than a G34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I was recently given a choice between the G19 and G47 (17-sized). I chose the 47 due to the additional magazine capacity and because I don’t mind a full-size gun for duty carry. I’ll also receive a G26 so concealed carry is covered- if I were only receiving one handgun I would’ve gone with the 19 to cover all bases. The 47 has a shortened frame so that a 19-length slide may be placed on top. I am looking forward to trying this combination with a WML.

ETA: I feel that some, if not many, agencies are leery of competition guns being used for duty carry, e.g. the G34.
    After years of carrying the P2k I was all amped to finally get a "fullsize" duty gun with the 47. When we got to fondle the red guns a while back though, the 19 just felt SO much better. And since I'm not guaranteed a 26 (of course I'm gonna try to scam one if I can) I went with the 19.

I threw a TLR1 (what I have on the HK) on the 47 though and it felt good. I also put a TLR7 and the APLC on the 19 and those were really nice and were more compact. The TLR1 adds a lot of unnecessary length to the P2k.

The mag capacity thing with the 19 bugged me a bit at first, but then I realized that it only really applies to the first magazine. Nothing says we can't use the 47 mags as belt reloads. I plan on keeping a couple of 33 rounders in my unit as well.
    Last edited by dreamcrusher8307; 12-01-19 at 20:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With the advent of the Glock 45, I really can not think of a good reason to hang on to my Glock 17. I find the Glock 45 easier to shoot and control. And it has the advantage of a full size Glock 17 sized grip which I need. At this point, it's more a nostalgia issue for me, no practical reason, since I also own both a Glock 34 and a Glock 26.
    Last edited by CAMagnussen; 12-01-19 at 21:08.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast