Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock 17 still relevant?

Feedback Score
    I agree with Firefly, before I switched to CZ P09/07, my carry gun was either Glock 34 or 35(357 sig). The 34/5 feels better to me due to it's different balance point from Glock 17. I carried 1911 or Hi Powers and like a longer barrel.

Glock 19 is small enough that I can put it in my right front pants pocket if I need a more covert carry when out of the country. But big enough that it shoots better for me than a Glock 26.

But the pistol I grab most days is either a Glock 21 with +2 so I can get my fingers a better grip or a HK P7. My day to day threat level is very low when I am in the USA.

To close, I can't remember when I shot or carried either of my Glock 17's. Glock 17 and 22 are bought by the Police in big numbers still.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Regarding the "duty pistol" category, the Army (from what I've read) is probably going to be the only service adopting the full-size M17. All the other branches are opting for the smaller M18.
    Yeah it’s kinda silly. The original Glock was made in an era of old Kraut guns, Hi Powers and 1911s and was competitive size wise with burgeoning P220s but now...it’s kinda the “default” size because “I say so”.

Weapons are getting shorter and more compact for a reason.

There’s a romance in a way to the old Cold War stuff like A1 ARs and whatnot but then again.

It’s the current year and why go through extra because “we say so”?

It’s an artificial criterion.

Like I like 14.5 ARs and old school Namgats, but sometimes I think I could live a full life with a well thought out 12.5 AR and a G19.

Maybe an HBAR 12.5 (maybe) but it would be nimble, have all necessary dwell time, and do it all. Like maybe an LMT or a G rail Colf.

I mean we could get 2 good revs out of a 14.5, sure. But then lots of work gets done with 11.5. 12.5 is purely for dwell.

I sometimes think we do things because “we say so” when really you can be so much more efficient with space management and weight reduction.

In a way it’s just got me thinking more about things.

ETA if you really need 17 rounds in a G19 OEM + extensions have existed for a while
    Last edited by Firefly; 12-02-19 at 05:43.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Maybe an HBAR 12.5 (maybe) but it would be nimble, have all necessary dwell time, and do it all. Like maybe an LMT or a G rail Colf.

ETA if you really need 17 rounds in a G19 OEM + extensions have existed for a while
    Larue makes a pretty beefy 12” barrel. Would pair nicely with a 10.75” URX4.

No need to put extensions on a 19 mag. Just throw a stock G17 mag in there.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    For a long time, the G17 was the poster child for out-of-the-box reliability (followed closely by the G19). Here in the 21st century, other brands seem to have caught up with it.

Feedback Score
    I found the 17 is the perfect size for me while on duty. getting in and out of the truck, off and on a quad and in the boat. I found the longer slide of the 34 a pain in the ass. And as far as the 19x, i like the longer sight radius of the 17 slide vs 19 slide.

Feedback Score
    I use the X-grip mag adapters on the G17 mags because I know I won't run into any reliability issues that way vs 19 mags with extenders. I ran into issues a couple of times with mags with extenders a long time ago.

I also happen to have 40+ G17 mags from when I carried the 17 before switching to the 19.

Are problems with the +1 and +2 extenders a thing of the past now? I stopped using them 15-20 years ago and never looked back.

Feedback Score
    Double-tap.
    Last edited by CrashAxe; 12-02-19 at 07:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashAxe View Post
    I use the X-grip mag adapters on the G17 mags because I know I won't run into any reliability issues that way vs 19 mags with extenders. I ran into issues a couple of times with mags with extenders a long time ago.

I also happen to have 40+ G17 mags from when I carried the 17 before switching to the 19.

Are problems with the +1 and +2 extenders a thing of the past now? I stopped using them 15-20 years ago and never looked back.
    I just put a bunch of + plates on some magazines and they work really well. I mean it’s what they have on G19X magazine that sells pretty well. I would say just buy G19x mags.

I keep normal mags for CCW but my “killin’” mags have the + plates.

I tried one on a G21 and it is kinda pointless. You only get one extra round.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Is the Glock 17 still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Larue makes a pretty beefy 12” barrel. Would pair nicely with a 10.75” URX4.

No need to put extensions on a 19 mag. Just throw a stock G17 mag in there.
    FWIW, I think if your going to carry a 17rd mag in a 19, not just as reloads, the +2 OEM extension conceals better because the length is more in the toe and not the heal. That said, if your carrying a 17rd mag in a 19, then why not a 19X/45/17/or even 34, especially if you have an X300U on the end of it.

I’m 6’4” and about 245 lbs. I can conceal a 17 about as easily as a 19. My hands are large enough that I’m never quite as comfortable with a 19 as a 17. That said, I ditched my carry 19 and duty 34 and went to the 17 for both roles before the 19x/45 was a thing, and went full time #dotlife at the same time. I’m now considering a G45 just because I want to play with Comps again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CESwartz07; 12-02-19 at 08:31.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My EDC CCW are both reddot g17s, with two mags backup.
    If I need to go lite - g26 replaces the 17. If I really need to go lite - Seecamp .32.
    YMMV

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast