Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Had a kaboom with my reloads.

Feedback Score

Had a kaboom with my reloads.

I reload for my cheaper ARs which is a good thing in this case. Anyway I'm not sure what happened here. I'm going to blame myself till I'm told otherwise. This is the case, the barrel is still good, bolt still good. The bolt carrier is blown as well as the upper and extractor is bent. I'm thinking I missed a cracked case. I was using 55gr FMJ boat tail and 23gr of AR Comp. The case looks like it was fired out of battery as well. Thoug that would not explain the carrier being blown out.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The way the extractor is bent might prove that it fired out of battery.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've seen enough "kabooms" with reloads to know I have no interest in them. Good luck. Glad you were not killed, blinded, or otherwise. Is it really worth your while to reload 5.56 cartridges?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That looks like an out of battery to me, do you resize with a small base die?
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMagnussen View Post
    I've seen enough "kabooms" with reloads to know I have no interest in them. Good luck. Glad you were not killed, blinded, or otherwise. Is it really worth your while to reload 5.56 cartridges?
    I get you your point very well. After at least 8 years one finally got me. I wasn't hurt, got a bit of a superficial burn on my finger. This happened in June, I just now decided to take the upper apart to see if anything was salvageable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    That looks like an out of battery to me, do you resize with a small base die?
    I was using Lee 223 dies.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Most of the "grey beards" around here say it's impossible for an AR to fire out of battery.

A simple case web failure seems plausible here.

All that pressure released out the wrong end will bend the extractor, peel the carrier open like a banana and blow the magazine guts out the bottom.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Most of the "grey beards" around here say it's impossible for an AR to fire out of battery.

A simple case web failure seems plausible here.

All that pressure released out the wrong end will bend the extractor, peel the carrier open like a banana and blow the magazine guts out the bottom.
    Yeah, I believe you're right, I overlooked a bad case. Just a cheap AR, most of it's salvageable. No hospital visit, the big plus.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcc View Post
    I reload for my cheaper ARs which is a good thing in this case. Anyway I'm not sure what happened here. I'm going to blame myself till I'm told otherwise. This is the case, the barrel is still good, bolt still good. The bolt carrier is blown as well as the upper and extractor is bent. I'm thinking I missed a cracked case. I was using 55gr FMJ boat tail and 23gr of AR Comp. The case looks like it was fired out of battery as well. Thoug that would not explain the carrier being blown out.
    I wouldn't assume that bolt is still good.

They're cheap enough it would go in the trash and I'd buy another. Heck, I'd be tempted to trash the barrel too.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Did you trim cases to length? Firing out of battery by means of dropping the hammer, not an optional explanation. To me it's untrimmed cases, bore obstruction (like last round was a "click" and got manually racked out) or an issue with the powder charge / bullet weight and possible contributor, .223 chamber-not-5.56.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast