Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Had a kaboom with my reloads.

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    32
    Feedback Score
    0
    [QUOTE=scottcc;2792700]Hmm? It does seem possible the bolt was cycling before peek pressure, according to Hornady I was inside of the perimeters.


    Picture is no good but 22.7 is minimum.

    Last edited by scottcc; 12-09-19 at 14:40.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    32
    Feedback Score
    0
    Anyway I'm just going to stay with Win 748 and Varget that I've used in the past 8 years. I've lost trust in AR Comp.

    Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    26,260
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcc View Post
    Anyway I'm just going to stay with Win 748 and Varget that I've used in the past 8 years. I've lost trust in AR Comp.
    Varget is NEARLY kaboom proof in .223. Too hard to get enough of it in the case.

    I must admit, my favorite powders are hard for me to visual check each charge due to not filling the case as much as powders that come up to the neck.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mid-West, USA
    Posts
    1,876
    Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Do you use a powder cop? I still drop powder 50 cases at a time, then inspect them all for uniformity. I'd love to get to the point of dropping powder and seating bullet on the progressive, but I think I'd want a lock out die to ensure I don't miss an over or under charged case.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Cradle of the Confederacy
    Posts
    135
    Feedback Score
    0
    As a rule I stay above min and below max.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    26,260
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Do you use a powder cop? I still drop powder 50 cases at a time, then inspect them all for uniformity. I'd love to get to the point of dropping powder and seating bullet on the progressive, but I think I'd want a lock out die to ensure I don't miss an over or under charged case.
    I've never had an under charge with a progressive friendly powder. (I had bridging with IMR 4064 once, but I was expecting trouble with that powder) Otherwise, I just eyeball every case. Any time I've pulled a case due to looking too full, It's been a piece of PMP brass or something with lower case capacity.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,320
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have we determined the cause of this event? I have read through the thread and missed it if identified.

    Andy

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    26,260
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Have we determined the cause of this event? I have read through the thread and missed it if identified.

    Andy
    Lotta "noise" and speculation. We know the brass survived its initial firing (factory load), and therefore, in my opinion dismisses the idea that the brass was defective. Assuming the OP didn't anneal the case head, and with the prescribed load of 23.0 gr out of a previously fired case, the base brass idea doesn't work.

    Out of battery is pure nonsense.

    The case head flow into the barrel extension pretty obviouly (to me) suggests massive over-pressure from an over charge due to some issue with the powder feeding procsess.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    32
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Lotta "noise" and speculation. We know the brass survived its initial firing (factory load), and therefore, in my opinion dismisses the idea that the brass was defective. Assuming the OP didn't anneal the case head, and with the prescribed load of 23.0 gr out of a previously fired case, the base brass idea doesn't work.

    Out of battery is pure nonsense.

    The case head flow into the barrel extension pretty obviouly (to me) suggests massive over-pressure from an over charge due to some issue with the powder feeding procsess.
    You're right, I must have messed up. I don't know how I errored that bad.

    Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    I wouldn't assume that bolt is still good.

    They're cheap enough it would go in the trash and I'd buy another. Heck, I'd be tempted to trash the barrel too.
    I agree with getting rid of the bolt and carrier, the barrel is most likely fine although I'd have the barrel extension and locking lugs checked thoroughly for cracks and or movement.

    I've had the same type of kaboom, it was a case head failure. The barrel was fine as was the extension but the bolt and carrier were junked.

    I'd not shoot any more of that lot of reloads untill they were pulled down and checked and reassembled. Sucks, but better than another kaboom with worse results.

    .223 ammo is hardly worth reloading these days, it is cheap and plentiful.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •