Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia 2A Sanctuary Ciity / County - Please share

Feedback Score
    As of this year in New Mexico, State law mandates any private sale of guns between non-family members to go thru an FFL and a NICS check. It is being largely ignored.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    ^ good on the ignored part.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Do you really think any of the hyperably in this article is helpful to anyone interested in the issue? The movement is so on our side, why do the waters need to be polluted by this. There is a lot of fair and good local reporting that can be shared about this and that can then be shared with people who dont understand the issue.
    "... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..." T. Jefferson

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

I'd say that it is helpful, if for no other reason, men sometimes need to be stirred to action. Individuals and small groups may grumble and complain yet not take any action whatsoever to reduce or eliminate that which is making them miserable. There often has to be a realization of the likemindedness of a substantial number of others; and someone has to be the one to stir the pot.

I spent my youth in Northern Virginia and for those who don't know, that bumper sticker that used to be so popular 'Virginia is for Lovers'; started out as 'Virginia is for History Lovers'. I have friends I grew up with who still live there and communicate with them on a fairly regular basis and it sickens me what has become of the Commonwealth. I don't envision likeminded individuals or groups going to Virginia to stand with them as many rushed to Texas to help defend the Alamo but I fully support those who are vehemently opposed to what the governor and legislature are attempting. I've seen comments on this board over the years lamenting the 'fact' that people who claim they will not give up their guns are all talk and will most likely roll over and submit. Here we have an instance of the people of Virginia actually beginning active opposition to the governor and legislature there and I say they deserve all the support they can muster. You seem to be against rocking the boat, when it is most definitely in need of some agitation.
    Last edited by LoboTBL; 12-12-19 at 11:34.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Would any of you have a serious disagreement with the following:

Universal Background Checks WITHOUT a registry. How it could work:

You go to sell a firearm private-party. Your buyer must hand you an official background check form that states he is gtg, not a prohibited possessor. You the seller must provide him with a copy of your ID. You the seller must keep his background form just in case the weapon you just sold finds its way to a crime scene, you’ll have documentation.

It ’s nearly the way it works right now, except now it isn’t mandated by law. But most private party sellers require “good guy papers” anyways, just to CYA.

It’s a win win: the Dems can state that they’re making moves to stop prohibited possessors of firearms from getting them, and we don’t end up on a registration database of “future addresses to raid in a few years when we ban a possession of ARs”

I have a disagreement with it. Prohibited possessors are already prohibited. Not my job to screen them. Do I have to run a check on someone who wants to buy my car because they might have a revoked license, or intend to use my car in a robbery get away?

I don't want the buyer's info. If things go sideways at his house, I become a identifiable suspect. Likewise, buyer or his buddies use the copy of my ID to see what else I have they might like to "buy" at my house.

Also, I don't care to be a record keeper for the state. How long do I have to maintain the documentation? What happens if I don't/can't/fail?

UBC is a necessary part of registration. "Where's your gun?" "Gone. Private sale." "Where is the paperwork?" Registration is necessary to verify UBC is complied with.

UBC goes hand in hand with the mandatory report for lost or stolen firearms."Where's your gun?" "Gone. Boating accident." "Where is the paperwork?" Or, "Where's your gun?" "Gone. Stolen from my car." "Where is the paperwork?"

How many hundreds of failed checks through FFLs go unprosecuted? What is the point of creating a whole new body of people who won't be prosecuted?

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” ― Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBL View Post
    "... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..." T. Jefferson

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

I'd say that it is helpful, if for no other reason, men sometimes need to be stirred to action. Individuals and small groups may grumble and complain yet not take any action whatsoever to reduce or eliminate that which is making them miserable. There often has to be a realization of the likemindedness of a substantial number of others; and someone has to be the one to stir the pot.

I spent my youth in Northern Virginia and for those who don't know, that bumper sticker that used to be so popular 'Virginia is for Lovers'; started out as 'Virginia is for History Lovers'. I have friends I grew up with who still live there and communicate with them on a fairly regular basis and it sickens me what has become of the Commonwealth. I don't envision likeminded individuals or groups going to Virginia to stand with them as many rushed to Texas to help defend the Alamo but I fully support those who are vehemently opposed to what the governor and legislature are attempting. I've seen comments on this board over the years lamenting the 'fact' that people who claim they will not give up their guns are all talk and will most likely roll over and submit. Here we have an instance of the people of Virginia actually beginning active opposition to the governor and legislature there and I say they deserve all the support they can muster. You seem to be against rocking the boat, when it is most definitely in need of some agitation.
    Did you read the article? I was not referring to the movement but the fact the article is riddled with ad hominems that do the cause no help.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Sad thing with this Virginia mess is the articles saying that 2A sanctuary cities is not the same as immigration sanctuary cities.

Their argument: the immigration sanctuary cities are just choosing to not enforce the federal law.

And thus are not breaking the law.

Yet somehow the same argument does not apply, the cities and counties are just choosing to not enforce the state law.

there may be some difference about flowdown of legal statutes, but I would think in a court if you do one you would need to apply the same logic to the other.

Feedback Score
    Virginia Government Threatens to Use Troops for Gun Confiscation

Democratic lawmakers on Capitol Hill say local police who do not enforce gun control measures likely to pass in Virginia should face prosecution and even threats of the National Guard.

After November's Virginia Legislature elections that led to Democrats taking control of both chambers, the gun control legislation proposed by some Democrats moved forward, including universal background checks, an “assault weapons” ban, and a red flag law.

Legal firearm owners in the state, however, joined with their sheriffs to form Second Amendment sanctuary counties, which declare the authorities in these municipalities uphold the Second Amendment in the face of any gun control measure passed by Richmond.

Over 75 counties in Virginia have so far adopted such Second Amendment sanctuary resolutions in the commonwealth, the latest being Spotsylvania County. The board of supervisors voted unanimously to approve a resolution declaring that county police will not enforce state-level gun laws that violate Second Amendment rights.

Columnist Kristen Soltis Anderson on the expanded Washington Examiner magazine

Virginia Democratic officials, however, already say local law enforcement supporting these resolutions will face consequences if they do not carry out any law the state Legislature passes.

“I would hope they either resign in good conscience, because they cannot uphold the law which they are sworn to uphold, or they're prosecuted for failure to fulfill their oath,” Democratic Virginia Rep. Gerry Connolly told the Washington Examiner of local county police who may refuse to enforce future gun control measures. “The law is the law. If that becomes the law, you don't have a choice, not if you're a sworn officer of the law.”

Democratic Virginia Rep. Donald McEachin suggested cutting off state funds to counties that do not comply with any gun control measures that pass in Richmond.

“They certainly risk funding, because if the sheriff's department is not going to enforce the law, they're going to lose money. The counties' attorneys offices are not going to have the money to prosecute because their prosecutions are going to go down,” he said.

McEachin also noted that Democratic Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam could call the National Guard, if necessary.

“And ultimately, I'm not the governor, but the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law,” he said. “That's his call, because I don't know how serious these counties are and how severe the violations of law will be. But that's obviously an option he has.”

Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring blamed the numerous Second Amendment resolutions in the state on the “gun lobby” as a tactic to frighten state residents.

“The resolutions that are being passed are being ginned up by the gun lobby to try to scare people. What we’re talking about here are laws that will make our communities and our streets safer,” Herring told CBS 6.

“So, when Virginia passes these gun safety laws that they will be followed, they will be enforced,” he added.
    So, they're willing to declare martial law now. Once again, an American civil war will be centered around Virginia!
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Sad thing with this Virginia mess is the articles saying that 2A sanctuary cities is not the same as immigration sanctuary cities.

Their argument: the immigration sanctuary cities are just choosing to not enforce the federal law.

And thus are not breaking the law.

Yet somehow the same argument does not apply, the cities and counties are just choosing to not enforce the state law.

there may be some difference about flowdown of legal statutes, but I would think in a court if you do one you would need to apply the same logic to the other.
    "Rules for thee, but not for me."

When they ignore laws (in VA it's immigration sanctuaries and the state AG refusing to enforce the Marijuana statutes) it's the right, moral thing to do, and they have the moral high ground.

When conservative towns and counties threaten to do the same thing, in respect to laws that haven't even been passed yet, by lawmakers who in some cases haven't even been sworn in yet, it's lawless and evil. A US Congressman from VA even suggested prosecuting LEO who refuse to enforce the new laws, and using the Natl Guard in their place.

So yeah, martial law and using the Natl Guard against VA Citizens...unbelievable.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 12-12-19 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It’s gut wrenching to watch all this goes on while we have a Republican President. Hardly pushing the 2A game, but not attacking it either. I live in the great state of AZ, #1 ranked via NRA for 2A all things related, and I maintain constant fear of intrusion of my rights.

I just can’t imagine what is going to happen when the nutbags control office. Sooner or later they will win. They have 80% media control. Gotta love Waters World.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Did you read the article? I was not referring to the movement but the fact the article is riddled with ad hominems that do the cause no help.
    Yes, I read the article. Ad hominem attacks shouldn't be just dismissed out of hand when there is a direct correllation between the action or activity and the character (or lack thereof) of the person. So in some instances, it is productive to stir the pot in that manner. I believe raising the level of invective is justified here.
    Last edited by LoboTBL; 12-12-19 at 17:51.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast