Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 vs Glock 45

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CESwartz07 View Post
    Have Boresight Solutions cut one down for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one that Ben Simonson did for me at Boresight Solutions. It’s amazing!!! Feels like an extension of my hand. Recoil is so flat. LOVE it!!!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. Leaning towards 17 but still considering the 45.
    More opinions are appreciated.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you're only going to own one between the 19, 17, and 45 - i'd go 45.

If it's going to be something that'll be your duty weapon or OWB 99% of the time - i'd go glock 17

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Personally I prefer the G45 / 19x over the G17. That said, the G17 is no slouch. Either one will serve you well.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it's just the gun I like the shorter slide length of the 45.

With a WML I don't see any benefit of the 45 over the 17.
    Last edited by C-grunt; 12-08-19 at 14:13.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The 45/19X is mechanically a 19. Nothing more.

It would take a statistical outlier to actually measurably shoot one better than a 17 or 34. Less mass and faster cycling only results in faster splits/better tracking if it uses a lighter spring than a slide with more mass. The 45/19X doesn't.

If you're tall enough to reach the pedals and sit back in the seat, then the grip pushing on the side bolster of the seat is a lot more noticeable/uncomfortable than the slide hitting seat bottom.

From my time with the 19X I only realized all the negatives of a compact and fullsize without the advantages of either.

I think a 45/19X would make a great compact as I prefer a cut 17 grip to a 19 grip.

A 17 cut to 19 grip is the best carry gun I've used.
    Last edited by 17K; 12-08-19 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a G45 with a direct-milled Aimpoint ACRO P-1. I like it a lot for that purpose.

I ran a G17 Gen2 for a lot of years in a lot of classes. So it's sort of like an old familiar friend.

I suspect one would have to be one hell of a shooter to really notice a lot of difference.

Feedback Score
    I have the Glock 19X and a Glock 17 Generation 4. I can’t say much about the Generation 5 Glock 17. I compared my accuracy against time against all of my Glock pistols (Glock 17, Glock 19 Generation 3, Glock 19 Generation 4, Glock 34 Gen 4, Glock 30, Glock 30S), and for me, the Glock 19X was best for me.

Could have been that it was the only one that didn’t actually have finger grooves. I now have a Glock 19, Gen 5. I haven’t tested between the the Generation 5 and the Glock 19X.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It'd be interesting to see how it compares to a 17Gen5. From what I'm seeing, the Gen5s are consistently as accurate as they should be, while the 3s&4s can vary quite a bit.

In the past, when people would actually shoot a 19 better than a 17, it was a matter of the grip fitting their hand better. When helping people to shoot/find a gun that works best, I've found the grip is different enough that I treat the 19 and 17 to be two different guns rather than a compact and fullsize version of the same.

I've seen a few of the 19X/45 pistols come across the Steel Challenge thing, which is just a draw/accuracy/speed thing, and not one shooter has really done any better than you would expect anyone to do with a compact gun.

To me, these guns are just like the XS Big Dots. All the Tactical Timmies just have to have 'em, but after the novelty wears off they're gonna realize that it's a performance downgrade. Unless you're like 5'2" with really big hands and sit in a car where you can't scoot the seat up far enough.
    Last edited by 17K; 12-09-19 at 07:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    The 45/19X is mechanically a 19. Nothing more.

It would take a statistical outlier to actually measurably shoot one better than a 17 or 34. Less mass and faster cycling only results in faster splits/better tracking if it uses a lighter spring than a slide with more mass. The 45/19X doesn't.

If you're tall enough to reach the pedals and sit back in the seat, then the grip pushing on the side bolster of the seat is a lot more noticeable/uncomfortable than the slide hitting seat bottom.

From my time with the 19X I only realized all the negatives of a compact and fullsize without the advantages of either.

I think a 45/19X would make a great compact as I prefer a cut 17 grip to a 19 grip.

A 17 cut to 19 grip is the best carry gun I've used.

So what are the negatives? The first half reads as an endorsement of the 19 length slide, then becomes an argument against them? Is it sight radius,

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast