Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non Water Based Cleaning Solution for your AR15

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by n8vmind View Post
    Most CLP are non or low odor and good to go. Or just use motor oil...

Motor oil doesn't do much cleaning

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Modern motor oils has to clean up carbon in engines and does about as good a job as CLP. Base ingredients for CLP and Mobil 1 are similar.

For copper fouling, I used dedicated solvent..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've cleaned firearm barrels and coated the inside with CLP, Hoppe's oil, etc., and seen a relatively clean patch after I ran a dry patch through the bore a few days later. I've lubricated the inside of a barrel with Mobil 1 Synthetic motor oil and seen a patch come out filthy when I ran a dry patch through the bore a few days later. A few locals speculate the detergents added to the motor oil drew fouling out of the metal.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    ATF does. There are some old recipes that include motor oil and ATF.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkracka View Post
    Mega, I dont want water bases cause it rusts unless you get every bit out and oil. Was going to try mpro but it is water based.

Never cared for clp either.
    I dont believe its an issue- been using it for years with no rust... but to each thier own.

In that case, gun scrubber. Spray and let sit for 30s- 1minute, then spray with high pressure jet. It cleans wet carbon off with no wiping. For caked on stuff (bolt carrier inside, bolt tail if you care about that, pistol baffles, etc) soak a brush in it and scrub. Its good stuff.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Anyone know if mpro7 is water-based? I assume it is, but havent researched at all.
    Mpro7 is not water based. In fact, it contains corrosion inhibitors to prevent rust after cleaning, therefore you do not have to rinse the metal as you would after using a water-based cleaner. They still advise applying some kind of CLP, lube, or corrosion protection after cleaning though.

More details: http://pantheonchemical.com/wp-conte..._web_11_13.pdf

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Mpro7 is not water based.
    Uhh...Their SDS shows MPro7 is 75-85% water. Seems pretty water based to me.

http://pantheonchemical.com/wp-conte...leaner-SDS.pdf

It works like money, though, so who cares if it's water based...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Uhh...Their SDS shows MPro7 is 75-85% water. Seems pretty water based to me.

http://pantheonchemical.com/wp-conte...leaner-SDS.pdf

It works like money, though, so who cares if it's water based...
    You're right--hadn't seen that SDS and it looks water based. Been using it for years, at one point was curious if just using the cleaner to wipe down in some cases without necessarily following it with lube/CLP of some type, would promote corrosion forming (as some water based cleaners do). This came up when I was using it to clean knives. I found some docs, including the one I linked to, indicating it had some corrosion inhibitors, and never saw anything stating it was water based, so just assumed it wasn't. In any case to OP's question, it's a great cleaner, absolutely non-toxic and no strong smells so you can use it inside, and I have never had a single instance of it causing/allowing corrosion to get started in years of use and hundreds of firearms and knives cleaned with it--in the humid Pacific NW. Although I usually do take their recommendation and follow with CLP of some type.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah, I love MPro-7...It's pretty much all I use these days. I've never not followed it up with oil, though. Usually Corrosion-X.

A side benefit of it being mostly water is that it also works great for corrosive primer cleanup of the ol' Mosin...

Good stuff!

Feedback Score
    For cleaning I use Hoppes #9 solvent. For lubrication I use 5w30 Synthetic motor oil.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast