Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Non Water Based Cleaning Solution for your AR15

Feedback Score
    Paint thinner or mineral spirits. Buy it by the gallon. Spray it on and let it set for a few minutes. You can clean it off in the traditional way or cheat and use some spray carburetor cleaner. You can also blow it off with compressed air. I collect my petroleum based cleaners and store them for future use. With 3 old tractors I always need some cleaner for something. For lube I use recycled 90wt gear oil. Let the oil set for a month or two so the heavy particles sink to the bottom. It can be thinned with RemOil for cold weather. It does have a bit of odor but the price is right.

kwg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkracka View Post
    I love the smell of Hoppes, reminds me of hunting with Dad in my teens. Good times.
    Just looking for something better.
    Better in what way?

I will give a 2nd thumbs up to Straight Shooter's Ballistol recommendation. It is the only product I am aware of that lubes, dissolves carbon fouling, AND dissolves lead/copper/zinc/other jacket material albeit not fast.

I will toss in the caveat to buy a small size first since some reviews have mentioned having an asthma like reaction to Ballistol. On rare occasions I have noticed that, but in my case it is extremely rare and mild versus reviewers mentioning more intense reactions with every use.

If you are looking for speed then you likely want separate carbon cutter, copper dissolver, and lube since the fouling is typically in layers.
    Milfoam Forrest Bore Cleaning Foam(sold by Break Free, Outers, and others) along with Montana Extreme have seemed best on copper in my opinion.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 12-09-19 at 04:57.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Lucas Fuel injector cleaner.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Ive narrowed down for me what works best.

Non-Chlorinated Brake clean for caked bolts, Hoppes 9 Semi auto on everything else. Let sit for few min then brush/ wipe clean. Spray everything down with Eezox after, let it dry<----- Excellent stuff, smell is mesmerizing..

Barrel, run a patch of sweets- run standard brush down a few times, then a clean patch.

Next use a patch with SharpShootr accelerator and then fill barrel with SharpShootr Wipe out foam. Let sit for an hour and then wipe clean. Unreal what comes out of your barrel when you think it's already clean- it's not. Then 1 patch of Hoppes Moly down the barrel and done.

Use a dry lube/teflon for springs.

I enjoy cleaning my guns so OCD is my thang. Most people spray some CLP on everything, wipe it down, run a bore snake a few times and done. To each their own!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkracka View Post
    I love the smell of Hoppes, reminds me of hunting with Dad in my teens. Good times.
    Just looking for something better.
    Absolutely, great memories for me! Use it on all my ar's.

Feedback Score
    Eezox CLP is a great product I've used for many years would recommend giving it a try

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. I always see a lot of recommendations for Mpro7, but the water in it just doesn't sits right with me. Maybe I just need to get over it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234