Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Shootout in Florida

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Just to be clear the the “alt-right” moniker got hijacked by the media circa the 2012 election run up and bastardized into the pejorative descriptor that it is today. It was very much born out of the Tea Party movement and at the very most represented a more modern twist on traditional conservative, and dare I say “boomer” values. As such it was demonized by both sides of the isle despite resonating with significant swaths of the electorate.

Sadly it succumbed to revisionism and bully pulpit sponsored rebranding and thanks to milquetoast republican losers it was successfully pushed aside by the political powers to be.

Now Alt-Right = Nazis and that was never the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So to be clear, the kind of gun-owning Right Wing group I am describing features the following traits:

A hatred for Law Enforcement, lumping the entire group into Jack-Booted Thugs, and use of "Boot Licker" for anyone supporting law enforcement
    A hatred for any US Government Agency - Bureau of Land Management, Interior, CIA, FBI, NSA, and the military
    Generally Racist - uses lots of code words for Blacks, Jews, etc.
    A Hatred for the State of Israel
    Constant talk of Globalists/Statists and the Military Industrial Complex
    Anti-Interventionist for any type of foreign involvement - lots of Baby Killer talk about US Military members
    Generally loves anything Russia does - total Putin lovers
    Dislike of the financial system of banks, credit unions, etc.
    Constant talk of kicking off Civil War 2
    Loosely support of groups like III%, Oath Keepers, Proud Boys, etc.
    Constant use of the word "Patriot" to identify themselves
    Generally under educated. Rare to find any with any prior military service
    Lots of gun ownership of all kinds of semi-auto weaponry (not a bad trait)
    Quoting of Richard Spencer by the more literate members of this group

This is just a partial list, but this give you an idea of the rants these types engage in. You tell me what they are? They seem to be on the far right fringe outside the norms of society.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Casualties occur in police work and combat. Deadly conflict is deadly and unpredictable. You cannot elimate risk but thats exactly what society demands these days in police confrontations as well as military combat engagements. You do everything you can to mitigate the risks but you cannot eliminate it from the equation. Mistakes made are learning and teaching points in TTP's. Unfortunately pinning the blame and ending careers is more important in high profile incidents.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I don’t want this to drift too far but

1. The term Alt-Right up until 2017 had no racist nor fringe connotation. It was literally “alternative Right” and consisted of people who were financially conservative but still sorta liberal or centrist socially. They would have been called “South Park Republicans” c. 2003. That term scared people because we can’t have blacks, women, and other types of people who are willing to vote Right in order to avoid Hillary so it had to be made into a “racist group” to shame people away. The people you refer to like the Sovereign or Patriots movement have always been there and always been dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    However, there is an element in this Country called the Alt-Right, and they are fringe operators who are anarchists and hate any kind of government or law enforcement. They are the extreme fringe Right equivalent to ANTIFA on the extreme far Left. The Alt-Right likes to cloak themselves in the word Patriot, but are nothing but a bunch of social outcasts and dead-enders who just don't fit in normal society.

There was a time when the term "Alt Right" was an actual movement with a good purpose. It scared the shit out of the Left so immediately the media stepped in and branded them, even the black and brown ones "Nazi".
    Immediately that had to be stamped out and so it was.
    They are still out there though, not as some sort of radical group who are going to overturn a government, but as a group of young men who had little or nothing to look forward to in an Obama economy, but now they do.
    They vote republican, they are old school conservative and they're all over.

BTW I support Law Enforcement, I do so by thanking them when they're in my neighborhood, other than that, I take care of my business and stay out of their way every chance I can.
    Last edited by Averageman; 12-08-19 at 19:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So to be clear, the kind of gun-owning Right Wing group I am describing features the following traits:

A hatred for Law Enforcement, lumping the entire group into Jack-Booted Thugs, and use of "Boot Licker" for anyone supporting law enforcement
    A hatred for any US Government Agency - Bureau of Land Management, Interior, CIA, FBI, NSA, and the military
    Anti-Interventionist for any type of foreign involvement - lots of Baby Killer talk about US Military members

This is just a partial list, but this give you an idea of the rants these types engage in. You tell me what they are? They seem to be on the far right fringe outside the norms of society.
    The majority of those positions were held by people considered to be US founders and can be found in The Declaration of Independence, Constitution/BoR, debates surrounding the Constitution, and their individual writings during their lives.

"It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world" - George Washington

"He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance." - Declaration of Independence

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations-entangling alliances with none." - Thomas Jefferson

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." - James Madison

Just a few of their rants, but the rest stuck to that general theme.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You’re painting with a broad brush, gaslighting, using smear tactics, branding/labeling, stereotypes - all of the very things of which you accuse them.

I don’t see how you’re any different from them, honestly.

Extremists of every stripe, scare me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    You’re painting with a broad brush, gaslighting, using smear tactics, branding/labeling, stereotypes - all of the very things of which you accuse them.

I don’t see how you’re any different from them, honestly.

Extremists of every stripe, scare me.
    These are examples of what one particular group of Americans are exhibiting - their statements, their behaviors, their points of view. I am asking questions trying to figure out how they fit into the political spectrum. We have always known the Left was comprised of Moderates, Liberals and now the Progressive Extreme Left. Then it goes to the edge with the ANTIFA and Anarchist types.

What I am trying to understand is how this type of Right wing group or movement fits into the picture. I consider myself a hardcore Conservative, fiscally, socially and the same when it comes to gun rights. What I am now encountering is a Right wing that is even more radical than I am, but that group exhibits traits I don't identify with like Law Enforcement Hate and Racism.

I'm not painting with any kind of brush - I'm seeking clarification and knowledge. Maybe you can provide me with some edification? I thought I was politically savy and informed, but now there is something further to the right of me (and I am considered a hard core right winger).
    Last edited by OH58D; 12-08-19 at 20:56.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The whole thing was a dumpster fire from the word go. I’ve read several places where everyone is blaming the law enforcement action taken. Let’s back it up. The two pos’s who started it are to blame. End of story. Two innocent lost their lives and that is the travesty in this whole debacle. Let be happy there weren’t any more innocent lives lost. Let’s be happy there weren’t any officer killed. It will be analyzed over and over again. Let the investigation happen.

This past weekend has been a shit show for law enforcement murders.

One last thing, Peterson was a dumb ass at the high school and I do not support what he did.
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Shootout in Florida

As stated in a subsequent post yes you’re painting with a broad and very jaded brush, to the extent that, as I asserted earlier, the movement originally was very different than what it was scapegoated into by the media and political factions on both sides of the pie.

That’s my point.

Extremist positions always existed. The MSM blowhards just managed to force Co-identification between The Tea Party crowd in with less palatable ideologues to poison the movement. Add in uninformed troglodyte republicans and boomers who loved Romney, McCain, and the like and it was an easy sell.

The movement was a threat to the establishment and status quo, and they’ve been working to do the same thing to Trump, because he was a threat to the system.

Not a fan of the Mil complex (which lets be frank is a very real thing) and never ending wars? Well, now you’re anti-American, hate veterans, and an Anti-Semite (Israel is not our friend by the way).

Not a fan of unfettered immigration? Well now your a racist and a Nazi who wants to gas aliens at the border.

And you’re not seeing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 12-08-19 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    As stated in a subsequent post yes you’re painting with a broad and very jaded brush, to the extent that, as I asserted earlier, the movement originally was very different than what it was scapegoated into by the media and political factions on both sides of the pie.

That’s my point.

Extremist positions always existed. The MSM blowhards just managed to force Co-identification between The Tea Party crowd in with less palatable ideologues to poison the movement. Add in uninformed troglodyte republicans and boomers who loved Romney, McCain, and the like and it was an easy sell.

The movement was a threat to the establishment and status quo, and they’ve been working to do the same thing to Trump, because he was a threat to the system.

Not a fan of the Mil complex (which lets be frank is a very real thing) and never ending wars? Well, now you’re anti-American, hate veterans, and an Anti-Semite (Israel is not our friend by the way).

Not a fan of unfettered immigration? Well now your a racist and a Nazi who wants to gas aliens at the border.

And you’re not seeing this?
    What's interesting is I have attended Tea Party rallies - I see in them a grass roots movement of ordinary Americans from all walks of life, including different ethnic groups. I am also against unfettered immigration, but it's not based on racial concerns. I see incidences of law enforcement abuses and bad behavior, but I don't bash the entire profession. This makes me a "Boot Licker" in the vernacular of the people I am describing.

Now when it comes to the Military Industrial Complex - a necessary evil in my mind. In the build up to WW2, Japan and Germany both had a massive MIC in the making. The US wasn't up to the task prior to Pearl Harbor and we had to get with the program fast to compete. After WW2 the US vowed to never be outspent or outdone by our geopolitical enemies. Despite the abuses of greed and political lobbying for constant war, the MIC still keeps us competitive in the world militarily. But that is for a different venue, I guess.

I have numerous friends in Israel, mainly former IDF members I worked with there on two different times, and when they came to the US to train. As an American soldier, I was treated better in Israel than in certain places in Europe. Many Israelis have family here or were born in the US. Other than experiencing rocket attacks from the Golan Heights towards my general location, I felt quite at home and really like the people. Everyone I encountered were extremely pro-American.

Let me ask - are your prior military? Not that it really matters but it helps me understand things from your perspective.
    Last edited by OH58D; 12-08-19 at 21:40.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Well sure, this whole catastrophe was initiated by 2 dangerous crooks. But what we've seen with our own eyes is, well shocking to say the least and at a minimum deserves some very critical eyes towards how it all ended.

But to respond to your anti-LE flames. I think I have an idea what's happening here so bear with me a bit.

First there is a level "trouble" in LE land today that might be just as much political as it is criminal, but I suspect it's more political. Recent high profile events such as the Houston drug raid, the Dallas cop who killed her neighbor and the Ft Worth cop who killed a home owner under very questionable circumstances, all the way to the Florida cop who was planting dope on well over 100 innocent travelers and the north Georgia cop who was arresting perfectly sober drivers for DUI... the list could go on and on.

The public sees all this and begins to form an aggressive opinion of LE as a whole because they do represent the enforcement arm of the .gov which most people already despise, just look at the approval ratings of various .gov bodies. So when something like this happens which looks very bad on the initial approach people immediately remember all the really bad stuff the cops have truly done in the past and that anger just spills over.......

Hopefully the police learn from this and change for the better. We all deserve a professional police force, what happened in Miramar was anything but.
    You hit several things in your very thoughtful post.

I think the first thing we have to understand is that the relentless 24-hour news cycle makes incidents like this the topic of conversation much longer than it would have been 30 years ago. As an adjunct to that thought process, when you posted: I think had such an event occurred here and the only innocent lost was the UPS driver the conversation would be much different. It would be a huge tragedy still, but one normal everyday people like you and I could live with, my immediate thought was, no, not given the same media coverage. Mayhaps it wouldn't be so dramatic if there was no helicopter coverage. However, cellphones are endemic among the general population, so it stands to reason cellphone video would still be available to inflame the masses.

Now, who is to say if such widespread coverage of events is bad. I don't know. We used to say that police training manuals were written in the blood of officers who were killed in the line of duty, and widespread publicity can give rise to rapid changes in training and tactics that might otherwise take much longer to occur.

On the other hand, sometimes widespread coverage of events from throughout the United States gives folks the idea that such incidents are commonplace, when, in fact, just the opposite is true. Add to that the fact that the public is know faced with dueling expert witnesses, chosen for the slant in which they are willing to portray the event, and you have a large percentage of the public taking things completely out of context.

This is an example: after the Rodney King beating, the Los Angeles Police Department was in crisis. It was accused of racial insensitivity and ill discipline and violence, and the assumption was that those problems had spread broadly throughout the rank and file.

In the language of statisticians, it was thought that L.A.P.D.’s troubles had a “normal” distribution—that if you graphed them the result would look like a bell curve, with a small number of officers at one end of the curve, a small number at the other end, and the bulk of the problem situated in the middle. The bell-curve assumption has become so much a part of our mental architecture that we tend to use it to organize experience automatically.

But when the L.A.P.D. was investigated by a special commission headed by Warren Christopher, a very different picture emerged.

Between 1986 and 1990, allegations of excessive force or improper tactics were made against eighteen hundred of the eighty-five hundred officers in the L.A.P.D. The broad middle had scarcely been accused of anything.

Furthermore, more than fourteen hundred officers had only one or two allegations made against them—and bear in mind that these were not proven charges, that they happened in a four-year period, and that allegations of excessive force are an inevitable feature of urban police work. (The N.Y.P.D. receives about three thousand such complaints a year.)

A hundred and eighty-three officers, however, had four or more complaints against them, forty-four officers had six or more complaints, sixteen had eight or more, and one had sixteen complaints.

If you were to graph the troubles of the L.A.P.D., it wouldn’t look like a bell curve. It would look more like a hockey stick. It would follow what statisticians call a “power law” distribution—where all the activity is not in the middle but at one extreme.

The Christopher Commission’s report repeatedly comes back to what it describes as the extreme concentration of problematic officers. One officer had been the subject of thirteen allegations of
    excessive use of force, five other complaints, twenty-eight “use of force reports” (that is, documented, internal accounts of inappropriate behavior), and one shooting.

Another had six excessive-force complaints, nineteen other complaints, ten use-of-force reports, and three shootings. A third had twenty-seven use-of-force reports, and a fourth had thirty-five.

Another had a file full of complaints for doing things like “striking an arrestee on the back of the neck with the butt of a shotgun for no apparent reason while the arrestee was kneeling and handcuffed,” beating up a thirteen-year-old juvenile, and throwing an arrestee from his chair and kicking him in the back and side of the head while he was handcuffed and lying on his stomach.

The report gives the strong impression that if you fired those forty-four cops the L.A.P.D. would suddenly become a pretty well-functioning police department.

from Million Dollar Murray, an essay by Malcolm Gladwell

The point being, that while there were problems, the public perception that LAPD was a force full of badge heavy racists intent on using excessive force, was wrong. In reality, it was a very small percentage of officers who were the problem. Obviously, this slant wasn't widely reported, as it didn't have a powerful visceral impact.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-08-19 at 22:15.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast