Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun similarities

Feedback Score

Handgun similarities

It kind of struck me how engineers/designers on different continents sometimes come up with the same ideas. Pictured are the IWI Masada and Ruger American Pistol. The muzzle end profiles look pretty similar, and the rest of the gun looks somewhat alike also. Maybe one took inspiration from the other?

Last edited by Slater; 12-06-19 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bares a resemblance. I think in the last 20 years and especially the last 10; everyone wants their own Glock cover band.

Unless something really revolutionary happens, most guns are kinda reverting to the mean.

The Cold War era of everyone having their own DA/SA metal gun is kinda coming to an end

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I went to high school with a couple of twin sisters, Lauren and Christa. Lauren was hot but although Christa obviously looked a lot like her sister.... somehow with her it was like the components didn't go together quite as well, or she was built out of factory seconds material or something.

The Ruger is Christa.

Although honestly neither gun takes top marks in the aesthetics department, but relatively speaking, the IWI is the better, more finished looking product, like Lauren.

It's also maybe or maybe not noteworthy that Ruger collaborated with Uzi Gal back in the 90's to produce the MP-9 SMG.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I don't think the Ruger has earned the title of "dud" in the sales department but it's in the vicinity.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I went to high school with a couple of twin sisters, Lauren and Christa. Lauren was hot but although Christa obviously looked a lot like her sister.... somehow with her it was like the components didn't go together quite as well, or she was built out of factory seconds material or something.

The Ruger is Christa.

Although honestly neither gun takes top marks in the aesthetics department, but relatively speaking, the IWI is the better, more finished looking product, like Lauren.

It's also maybe or maybe not noteworthy that Ruger collaborated with Uzi Gal back in the 90's to produce the MP-9 SMG.
    I got to shoot an MP-9 and it was just an UZI with extra steps

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Well we're all about the same size and we all have brains wired to think that similar proportions are good looking (yes, aesthetics play a role in what guns people buy - and the gun companies know it) and physics is physics and material science is material science.

So it's pretty inevitable that so many guns look so similar to each other.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Ruger's been known to take "heavy" inspiration in their designs from other companies. Although if the outside appearance is the only similarity and the guts are different, I'd say this boils down to a coincidence.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Handgun similarities

Quote Originally Posted by bassJAM View Post
    Ruger's been known to take "heavy" inspiration in their designs from other companies. Although if the outside appearance is the only similarity and the guts are different, I'd say this boils down to a coincidence.
    Yea, the LCP and LC9 seem to be heavily based off the Keltecs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I got to fire a Ruger American in 45 the other day. I did not care for it at all. Just didn't like how it felt in the hand.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The human hand only has so much variation. Pistols are going to look like pistols.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast