Thread: Scope for the 7.62 M118 LR round

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Scope for the 7.62 M118 LR round

Forgive my ignorance on optics....Im an old farm girl that has always just got a cheap walmart scope for hunting, which normally max range of deer was about 150 yards. Have been wanting to get into more precision shooting at a little longer range 500 yards and under. Have a 700 vtr that seems to really like the M118 long range round , with the 175gr Sierra match king. Is there a scope that would match well with this round. I know there are scopes with a bdc specifically for 62 gr green tips, didn't know if there might be similar for the M118. If not what would be a good recommendation for under $500

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PenderMedic View Post
    Forgive my ignorance on optics....Im an old farm girl that has always just got a cheap walmart scope for hunting, which normally max range of deer was about 150 yards. Have been wanting to get into more precision shooting at a little longer range 500 yards and under. Have a 700 vtr that seems to really like the M118 long range round , with the 175gr Sierra match king. Is there a scope that would match well with this round. I know there are scopes with a bdc specifically for 62 gr green tips, didn't know if there might be similar for the M118. If not what would be a good recommendation for under $500
    This is the best bang for the buck out there. My wife and i each have one of these and they sre very clear. The illumination is good.

Athlon Optics Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 - APLR3 FFP IR MIL

And it is well in your budget.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=1614462
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    For $500 look at Vortex Viper PST, Trijicon Accupower, or leupold VX R. There are a few different options available that can up the price slightly but nice scope for the money..vortex is known for their Lifetime -no questions asked- warranty. I personally do not own any Vortex optics but I've been behind them along with Trijicon Accupower and the Leupold VX-R and are definitely worth looking at.

I'd also suggest looking at higher end optics on the for sale section. You can get a nice $1k+ scope that will be within your budget like Nightforce SHV or many others. Scope choice is never that easy as so many different variables take place while trying to stay within your budget. Hopefully this can give you just a few options

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    This is the best bang for the buck out there. My wife and i each have one of these and they sre very clear. The illumination is good.

Athlon Optics Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 - APLR3 FFP IR MIL

And it is well in your budget.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=1614462
    I've also heard about them being a great option. My friend was recently telling me about them as well and the reviews are solid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks guys......Husband going into surgery tomorrow from a structure fire he was on, figured this will give me a good start to research optics while I babysit him for a few days , haha.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    BDC reticle seldom work with YOUR gun, YOUR ammo.

The suggestions for using a MIL scope, MIL adjustment- is spot on.
    With just a bit of work (chrono load, plug CORRECT data into ballistic app) you have a start on DOPE you can use.
    Once verified in the field; print out and tape to stock.

This will be precise for YOUR gun, YOUR ammo.
    Last edited by gaijin; 12-07-19 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

With just a bit of work (chrono load, plug CORRECT data into ballistic app) you have a start on DOPE you can use.

This is 100% truth.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

Sounds like what ill be doing, Looking forward to putting the work in

Feedback Score
    I like the Burris Ballistic Plex Scope for a scope to set up and use and not be messing with the windage and elevation all the time. Internal adjustment mechanisms generally do not repeat well which readers can confirm themselves as follows.

Zero your rifle at 300 yards for POA/POI. Then put up new target and fire five rounds and immediately adjust the elevation upwards 20 clicks, right 20 clicks, down 20 clicks and left 20 clicks and shoot another round. It should print with the first 5 shots.

Next crank down 20 clicks, left 20 clicks, up 20 clicks and right 20 clicks and fire another shot. It should print with the above 6 rounds.

Next crank right 20 clicks, down 20 clicks, left 20 clicks and up 20 clicks and fire another. It should print with the above 7 rounds.

And finally crank left 20 clicks, up 20 clicks, right 20 clicks and down 20 clicks and it should print with the above 8 rounds.

Chances are pretty good the last four shots will be larger than the first 5 shots and you will have a good idea of how repeatable your scope is.

Thus I use a Ballistic PLex that has three sets of cross hairs on vertical post and also the top of the 6 o'clock post to determine zeros I can use at longer range without moving the knobs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    I like the Burris Ballistic Plex Scope for a scope to set up and use and not be messing with the windage and elevation all the time. Internal adjustment mechanisms generally do not repeat well which readers can confirm themselves as follows.

Zero your rifle at 300 yards for POA/POI. Then put up new target and fire five rounds and immediately adjust the elevation upwards 20 clicks, right 20 clicks, down 20 clicks and left 20 clicks and shoot another round. It should print with the first 5 shots.

Next crank down 20 clicks, left 20 clicks, up 20 clicks and right 20 clicks and fire another shot. It should print with the above 6 rounds.

Next crank right 20 clicks, down 20 clicks, left 20 clicks and up 20 clicks and fire another. It should print with the above 7 rounds.

And finally crank left 20 clicks, up 20 clicks, right 20 clicks and down 20 clicks and it should print with the above 8 rounds.

Chances are pretty good the last four shots will be larger than the first 5 shots and you will have a good idea of how repeatable your scope is.

Thus I use a Ballistic PLex that has three sets of cross hairs on vertical post and also the top of the 6 o'clock post to determine zeros I can use at longer range without moving the knobs.
    10-4 thanks , taking a screen shot of this to put in my notes. Thanks