Thread: Colt Retro XM177E2 Defective?

Feedback Score

Colt Retro XM177E2 Defective?

Some pic's of the interior of my Colt Retro Xm177E2 upper receiver. I purchased the rifle new several months ago. It was properly cleaned up and lubricated before firing. Does this look like normal wear?IMG_7449.jpgIMG_7448.jpgIMG_7176.jpgIMG_7177.jpg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm doubtful. I have a 20 year old Bushmaster A2 clone that's seen a lot of rounds. It has nothing like the wear your photos show. How does the bolt carrier move in the upper?

Feedback Score
    Bolt carrier moves fine, about the same as my other Colts. Here are a few more pic's:IMG_7592.jpgIMG_7593.jpgIMG_7594.jpg

Feedback Score
    You need to post some clear/close photos of the top-front of the Bolt-Carrier......and of the Bolt-Assembly (with bolt in the "un-locked" position for us to view.
    The "wear" is abnormal...….with what looks like either "chatter-marks", or something sharp sticking up and/or off of the upper-side of the assembly causing the abnormal wear.

Regards, RichardS
    US Army, RET

Feedback Score
    Here are some, let me know if you need different views? IMG_1440.jpgIMG_1439.jpgIMG_1428.jpgIMG_1427.jpgIMG_1441.jpg

Feedback Score
    Is there actual damage to the aluminum, or is it simply the surface finish? Presuming you had the proverbial 'light coat of oil' on the carrier?
    Moon

Feedback Score
    It is worn down to the aluminum. I put at the most 300rds through if that. I've had a bunch of Ar-15's through the years since the 80's. I'm not saying I'm an expert but I'm not a novice either. I have put thousands of round through some of them {I cleaned this one and lubed it like all my others} and never seen this kind of wear especially on a brand new gun. I've been fighting with Colt customer service for almost 2 months now!

Feedback Score
    You will have to keep pursuing this with Colt. Personal experience with their CS has been positive. Tell them the crew here saw it, and doesn't think it is normal. Also, try the Colt forum.
    You might try 'poor man's Prussian blue' (magic marker) to see if there is a particular spot on the BC that is rubbing.
    Does the finish seem to have sensitivity to damage elsewhere on the upper?
    Moon