Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Car guys: Best-sounding 4 and 6 cyl engines?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlsatian View Post
    I have had a 99 model 911 for a dozen years now. IMHO it is the best year for the early 996s. Mechanical throttle control and the car is a bit smaller, more true to the air cooled models. It also has a more durable IMS system. I've had zero problems with it over the years. I did sell my 77 air cooled 911, those things have gone up astronomically. It was a nice car, but not as fun to drive or as practical as the 996. Both sounded great (for you audiophiles..)
    Thanks for the info.

I've driven an 87, and a 2000 that my brother owned. He still has the 87, got the 2000 while rebuilding the 87 (complete teardown of the engine), he was thinking of selling the 87 thinking he and his wife would get more use out of the newer car. But she never really did. After putting the work into the 87 he ended up keeping that one instead.

Mostly he uses it for track days here and there and an occasional day out.

I did get to do a few laps around the road course at NHMS in his 87. Not at any crazy speeds but was still fun none the less. Also go to drive from NH down to Lime Rock and back once when my bro did a track day in the 2000.

I did own a 951 for a while along time ago and had to sell it when in between jobs. While I liked it I think I'll still hold out for some kind of 911 someday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post

Being at the Rolex 24 for awhile will change your tune about Porsches and how good they sound.
    In what way? Grew annoying or likes other cars more?

Never been to the Role 24 but been to ALMS races at Lime Rock in CT and went to the 12h at Sebring once.

Was into that stuff more 10-15 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Never once has the sound a car makes, or the weight, ever been a factor in my decision. Interesting...

Size, reliability, performance, features, fuel economy, appearance even, but never sound or weight.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    With your weight, and budget limits you're going to have to go older. Mostly because of your weight limit, modern cars are heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    Never once has the sound a car makes, or the weight, ever been a factor in my decision. Interesting...

Size, reliability, performance, features, fuel economy, appearance even, but never sound or weight.
    Again, if you're not an automotive performance enthusiast, you wont understand.

Its akin to saying, "why do you need a gun with all of those modifications? I have a s&w Bodyguard, a Ruger P89, and a pump 12 guage. I just shoot them and they do everything I need guns to do."

That guy just isnt going to understand a $2500 firearm.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post

Weight and Performance are inversely proportional to one another.

Size plays a role if you like fast backroad travel, too.

Fuel economy TYPICALLY is inversely proportional to performance as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    In what way? Grew annoying or likes other cars more?
    Both. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way knocking their performance...but that wasn't really the topic.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 12-11-19 at 22:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Again, if you're not an automotive performance enthusiast, you wont understand.

Its akin to saying, "why do you need a gun with all of those modifications? I have a s&w Bodyguard, a Ruger P89, and a pump 12 guage. I just shoot them and they do everything I need guns to do."

That guy just isnt going to understand a $2500 firearm.
    I am a performance enthusiast. I just don't understand what the sound has to do with performance. Like wise, weight doesn't matter, unless your looking at the exact same horsepower and torque specs in two vehicles of different weights. The Chevy Spark is under your weight limit, but its power to weight ratio is not what you are looking for.

I'm just trying to explain my curiosity at why the sound would matter. I find it more akin to saying "Which of these guns sounds the best when I fire it?"

Changing the subject back to your original question. I once stood next to a 2003 Aston Martin Vanquish when they fired it up. That was the most amazing sound I've ever heard come out of a muffler. That car truly purred. Its double or triple the number of cylinders in your original question, but the sound was so impressive, I thought it worth mentioning on a car thread about sound.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMagnussen View Post
    You guys are actually at all interested in what your car's engine sounds like? Geebus. Grow up.
    I’ve noticed something since you joined here, you’re really critical of a lot of things.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My contribution is Cummins 5.9 turbo diesel.

What? It’s a 6 cylinder!

I love the way they sound.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast