Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car guys: Best-sounding 4 and 6 cyl engines?

Feedback Score

Car guys: Best-sounding 4 and 6 cyl engines?

I'm thinking my next car needs to be on the lighter-side weight-wise. (At least a few hundred pounds lighter than a Mustang so were talking about 3200 lbs or lighter) This probably means it's going to be a 4 or 6 cyl.

Sound is very important to me so it begs the question: What is the best / better sounding 4 and 6 cyl engines / cars?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think there are many for me. Some might be fast, but they sound buzzy obnoxious. Nothing like a V8/10/12.

Sixes overs fours.

If I had to pick, the Nissan makes a decent one (370Z) and the older Toyota Supra and the Audi TT is nice. Exotic would be the Alfa Romeo. Even Porsche's, although fast, are buzzy as hell.

If I had to pick a four...it wouldn't be a car; it would be the awesome sounding V-4's in the Aprilia RSV4 and Ducati's Panigale V4. No car compares. Edit:Forgot the STI and EVO if I had to pick a 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0tElrjbrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4LcChlzTHU
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 12-09-19 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Best V6 I ever heard was the Toyota 2JZ

The Nissan VR38 TT sounds bad ass too.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    The 2JZ is an inline 6.....

Generally inline 6’s have a firing order that sounds great. V6’s not so much.

Inline 4’s are not much in the audio pleasure department. So find a horizontally opposed 4, they rumble.

My personal favorite I6 is the BMW S54, which is no longer in production and would be a horrible proposition to maintain long term because BMW build quality is barely a few steps above British or Italian garbage.

Otherwise the venerable H6 as used by Porsche is tough to beat when naturally aspirated. So find a 911 GT3 with the 4.0L H6, try not to cream your shorts.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 12-09-19 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Air cooled Flat six
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    They’re getting more and more expensive. The 993 series cars and prior are climbing in value.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am also going suggest a Porsche flat 6.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    An I6 can sound good, other than that a turbo will sound more like a turbo, and much better to me, than an I4 or V6. Then there are boxers, that's it's own sound, with the turbo Subaru's unrefined but unapologetically brute force sound being distinct.

Feedback Score
    The Volvo T6 twin charged engines have a nice throb to them, for a 4 cyl.

Feedback Score
    Fours at low revs sound like a dwarf farting down a drainpipe-. A turbo straight six sounds better than any V6.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast