Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Car guys: Best-sounding 4 and 6 cyl engines?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Personally I think you are making a "lightweight" distinction without much difference. 200 lbs less than a Mustang isn't lightweight, while a difference in weight distribution and suspension can make different car models feel much heavier or lighter than they are.

Have you driven a Miata or BRZ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Yea...not familiar. Mazda?
    Mitsu/Nissan
    Nissan/Toyota

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm thinking my next car needs to be on the lighter-side weight-wise. (At least a few hundred pounds lighter than a Mustang so were talking about 3200 lbs or lighter) This probably means it's going to be a 4 or 6 cyl.

Sound is very important to me so it begs the question: What is the best / better sounding 4 and 6 cyl engines / cars?
    Sound Quality is critical to me as well. So much so, I led the PT NVH Sound Quality at FoMoCo from 2002 to 2007.

With cars going from naturally aspirated to turbocharged ya gonna be difficult to get sound spectra like a naturally aspirated engine. Porsche seems to have done so with their flat-6 turbos. Others use synthesized sound thru the vehicles speakers.

Naturally Aspirated Six Cylinder Engine Notes I Adored:

(1) Honda NSX Type R
    (2) Porsche GT Cars (996, 997 & 991 GT3 and GT3 RS as well as the Cayman GT4).
    (3) BMW In-line 6 powerplants

Four cylinder Engine Notes I Adore:

(1) Honda Integra Type R
    (2) Honda S2000
    (3) Toyota Celica GT-S

None of either listing is in any particular order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Personally I think you are making a "lightweight" distinction without much difference. 200 lbs less than a Mustang isn't lightweight, while a difference in weight distribution and suspension can make different car models feel much heavier or lighter than they are.

Have you driven a Miata or BRZ?
    Miata, yes.

3000lbs is "light enough" for me. But there aren't many RWD or AWD cars that weight that and have at least 300 hp or even sound good and have less.

Why cant we have a RWD 3k lb car with a 3.0 - 4.0 L engine with just 300 hp that sounds good? That isnt asking for much. Yet, it is.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why does lightweight matter? My cars have been 3400 lbs and up for about 12 years now. Would like to have something lighter.

But still sound great.

Seems like the best-sounding non-v8 cars are the horizontally opposed engines. In my price range we're talking about STI's. Too many doors and not nice to look at though.

Or maybe I'll end up with a C6 Corvette. Hell the 'vette is lighter and gets better mpg than the 4 cyl Subaru's...insurance is less, too.
    Do you mind sharing what your price range is?

We've been thinking of getting a 911 for a long time (well, I have any way ) probably won't happen till the wife goes back to work full time in a few years.

Will likely be looking at either mid 80s or early 2000s car. The later air cooled ones can get pretty expensive as someone mentioned. Some don't like the early 2000s, 996s as they look similar to the boxters, but I still like them and they can be found pretty reasonably prices.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Are you guys talking about true engine sound vs exhaust note?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You guys are actually at all interested in what your car's engine sounds like? Geebus. Grow up.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMagnussen View Post
    You guys are actually at all interested in what your car's engine sounds like? Geebus. Grow up.
    Fartmobile gotta fart...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMagnussen View Post
    Your not a "car guy". This thread isnt for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Are you guys talking about true engine sound vs exhaust note?
    Both, but mainly exhaust note.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast