Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Car guys: Best-sounding 4 and 6 cyl engines?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    If you want to fully exploit the Vehicle Dynamics software (something damned few have the skills to safely approach the limits of anyway) you would want the steering position, throttle position, brake torque, engine torque/engine load, gear selected, yaw, pitch, roll, shock absorber load or the displacement of the piston in the shock absorber.

While that car will be potentially much easier to drive at the limit you and I could not fully exploit it anyway.

BTW, Ferrari has the best Vehicle Dynamics Software Package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ducati and Aprilia has the better Sportbike ABS and Traction Control, wheelie control software packages, although the brains and sensors are all Bosch IMU's. It also takes into account lean angle (a more pronounced roll).

Ducati and Yamaha now are incorporating slide control which allows you to power out of the corner a little sideways but controlled so as not to allow a nasty highside. Power slides on 4 wheels is cool and fun...watching it done on 2 wheels, a whole new appreciation for that kind of skill.

Feedback Score
    Ron3, the car you seek is a Honda S2000. Get a model year 2003 if you can because they have the glass rear window and the 9k rpm 4-cylinder engine. It feels light and sounds great. Be careful though, there's no traction control. Also, if you can't drive stick, forget about it. They never made them with automatics. Here's mine the day I bought it in December of 2002. I still have it and it never gets old.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Ron3, the car you seek is a Honda S2000. Get a model year 2003 if you can because they have the glass rear window and the 9k rpm 4-cylinder engine. It feels light and sounds great. Be careful though, there's no traction control. Also, if you can't drive stick, forget about it. They never made them with automatics. Here's mine the day I bought it in December of 2002. I still have it and it never gets old.
    I've driven one.

You might be right.

Although the lack of torque was amusing. Power curve starts at about 5500 rpm IIRC!

But yea, rwd, 240 hp, 6 spd.

The biggest problem? All convertibles. I dont want a convertible.

Otherwise what does the S2000 have on say, a new Fiat 124? I drove a new Abarth 124 and was impressed. A good S2000 and Fiat 124 are both going to be about $30k.

Low power of course, but being a Turbo the power was always there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My buddy brought over his 30th anniversary special edition Miata yesterday and I got to drive it. It's a little more powerful and a little lighter weight than the normal model, plus other exclusive stuff. I think they did something with the gearing too because it definitely felt peppier at lower speeds than his 2014 and 2017(maybe 2018) models.

Long story short... check out the new MX5. They make a hard top model now too.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I've driven one.

You might be right.

Although the lack of torque was amusing. Power curve starts at about 5500 rpm IIRC!

But yea, rwd, 240 hp, 6 spd.

The biggest problem? All convertibles. I dont want a convertible.

Otherwise what does the S2000 have on say, a new Fiat 124? I drove a new Abarth 124 and was impressed. A good S2000 and Fiat 124 are both going to be about $30k.

Low power of course, but being a Turbo the power was always there.
    You can get a hard top for the Honda.

And you must be joking about comparing a Honda to a Fiat...

One is dead reliable and overbuilt the other... is a Fiat.

One is RWD the other is FWD.

The Honda is the decidedly quicker of the two on a road course.

"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    You can get a hard top for the Honda.

And you must be joking about comparing a Honda to a Fiat...

One is dead reliable and overbuilt the other... is a Fiat.

One is RWD the other is FWD.

The Honda is the decidedly quicker of the two on a road course.

The Fiat 124 is a Miata with a Fiat motor, so it's a RWD car. It's also slower than a standard Miata so it's probably slower than a 10 year old S2000.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    The Fiat 124 is a Miata with a Fiat motor, so it's a RWD car. It's also slower than a standard Miata so it's probably slower than a 10 year old S2000.
    Yup. Same assembly line in Hiroshima.

Different engines and suspensions.

Known as the "Fiata". About 2600 lbs IIRC. 1.4L Turbo RWD. Bilstiens on the Abarth version. Less body roll, more torque, thicker top and windshield than the Mazda.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not sure if it’s been stated, but the best sounding naturally aspirated 6 is the Porsche 911 991 GT3.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Car guys: Best-sounding 4 and 6 cyl engines?

Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Not sure if it’s been stated, but the best sounding naturally aspirated 6 is the Porsche 911 991 GT3.
    I’m a Porsche guy so... but the Audi R8, the Ferrari V-12s and V-10 & V-12 Lambos ALL sound delicious.

That’s the great thing about GT Racing; you hear many of these on track.

"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast